Gibson Brands Forums

Does this chord have a name?

Gilliangirl

My friend Craig bought me the latest Chip Taylor CD.... Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez LIVE from the Ruhr Triennale. It's a great CD! Anyway, I'm trying to learn a few songs off it and am struggling with some of those chords that ya know are close but not quite right. So, I'm experimenting and I find a really close one..... X00220. Anyone know if that's even a chord?

yeh thats true but open D note added to an A chord will make a true suspended 4th.In theory your (reply A sus 4 )is really an A with an added 11,but cause theres no third its still called suspended........Similar thing different octaves.Any easier ????

Hi Gilliagirl' date=' Is this chord your looking for in standard tuning. Looks like some kinda A chord? Not sure which one. Let me know if find out.

[/quote']

Hi Layla,

Yes, it's in standard tuning. It's one finger short of an A chord! Sometimes if I can't get the right sound, I'll start messing around with the chord, moving fingers this way and that, dropping notes, etc. That's why I found this one, which fits in the song, but didn't know if it had a name or not.

Gilliangirl,

I think you need to be a little careful when using that Web site. I'm no expert on theory, but, in practice, you can't ignore the function and context of the chord when trying to determine what it "is". For example, in this case, you could look at this as an A major chord (A-C#-E) with an added 4th (D). If the 4th (D) replaced the 3rd (C#), you'd have an Asus4. If this discordant little chord "resolves to an A" , it might be natural to think of it as functioning as some sort of A -- maybe you could call it an A4? -- especially if that D is just in there because it's a melody note (say, in the middle of a run from the A on the open fifth string up to the E on the fourth string).

-- Bob R

My friend Craig bought me the latest Chip Taylor CD.... Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez LIVE from the Ruhr Triennale. It's a great CD! Anyway' date=' I'm trying to learn a few songs off it and am struggling with some of those chords that ya know are close but not quite right. So, I'm experimenting and I find a really close one..... [b']X00220[/b]. Anyone know if that's even a chord?

What rar says is very true. The proper name for the chord will depend very much on the musical context.

Likely candidates are DM9 or A/D (i.e. "D major ninth" or "A over D"). A/D can work as a D11, as well, although there's no third in it.

• 1 year later...

Yeah - thanks Karen for starting this thread all those months ago in December 2007.

We all though it fizzled out a few days later on January 1st 2008.....

.....but a year and ten months later it's still going strong.

They call it Albert, and it is good.

Power Chord (not).

Archived