Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Flametop Firebird

gtrplayr1976

Who cares, buy it!!

Well in all honesty i would like to know to.

Did you email gibson?

No, I haven't contacted Gibson yet. I was hoping someone here would know. It's had some mods/upgrades , but I don't know the extent. I'm trying to find out. I'm trying to buy it without the pups, so I can save some bucks ,and add what I want.

Dem00n's right.

It's obviously custom whether or not it's a true Gibby.

As far as the PUs go, don't let that request screw up the sale.

Pretty birds, no matter who makes 'em, (Greco, Epi, Gibson & others) are hard to come by

and even more difficult to catch.

Well...I hope to own it , but I'm waiting for the owner to make up their mind.

I saw this one on Ebay today, too. This is not an original Gibson model. Looks like someone took a beaten up Gibson Firebird and rebuilt it with some flame maple veneer. It looks good, but be careful how much you pay. The headstock has been broken and repaired, and who knows what's hiding under that veneer?

I saw this one on Ebay today, too. This is not an original Gibson model. Looks like someone took a beaten up Gibson Firebird and rebuilt it with some flame maple veneer. It looks good, but be careful how much you pay. The headstock has been broken and repaired, and who knows what's hiding under that veneer?

[crying] Nothing hurts my heart more than a broken headstock. It's a deal breaker for me. That thing sure is purdy though.

Could still be a great playing guitar, though, and the flame veneer looks good. A lot of Firebirds have repaired headstocks (and alot of SG's) and the photo of this repair does look like it was well done, I'd just keep in mind that a recent Firebird in good condition can be had on Ebay for around $1500, and with a repaired headstock they usually stay well under $1000. At just under a grand, I think the starting price for this one is fair, but with a day and a half left, no one has bid on it, yet.

Back in the early 80's, when Gibson was going through an onboard eq/effects period (sounds familiar, huh?) they made something called the Firebird 2 (or II) which had a reverse shape, set neck, mahagony body and bound maple top, some of which could have some beautiful figuring. There are some pictures on the forum if you dig for them. They were a lot like the Explorer/2, and had the Moog active eq set-up. I've never had one in my hands, but I've seen lots of pictures and they can be beautiful. There was a guy selling some unfinished nos bodies on Ebay a little while ago and I almost bought one to build up.

The guitar asked about in this forum isn't one of those. It seems to be a neck through modern Firebird V that's been modified. That's not a maple "top" but a veneer. To be a "top," the wood should be at least a 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch thick and you can tell from the photos this job was done with something like 1mm thick veneer. Not to take anything away from the job, it looks very good, but a maple top like on a Lester or a Firebird II should sound different from an all-mahogany body (brighter, theoretically) but a veneer like this shouldn't change the sound much, which isn't a bad thing if you're into Firebirds.

I just cannot consider a Firebird with full humbuckers no matter how pretty it is........got to have FIREBIRD pickups to be a FIREBIRD, the shape is the shape, but the sound "is" the Firebird.........and there just aint nothing quite like a good pair of Firebird pickups......

I just cannot consider a Firebird with full humbuckers no matter how pretty it is........got to have FIREBIRD pickups to be a FIREBIRD, the shape is the shape, but the sound "is" the Firebird.........and there just aint nothing quite like a good pair of Firebird pickups......

I concur with that sentiment [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Archived