Gibson Brands Forums

'30s Gibson L-??

Jerry Ray

I have what appears to be an old Gibson that was inherited several years ago from a great, great aunt . For the last couple of days I've looked over this site as well as a couple of others trying to get as much information as I can to try to nail down the identity. Today I emailed pics and a rough description to Gibson and thought I'd share here after looking through photos of some vintage guitars.

I don't play but my daughter has started lessons recently and she is dying to play and practice on this old Gibson. The serial #/FON on the block reads 1325 (stamped ink) and 186 hand written in red pencil/ink.

It has a few small nicks but it sounds great (to my ear anyway).

post-27456-046413400 1290920013_thumb.jpg

post-27456-044210500 1290920027_thumb.jpg

post-27456-048932800 1290920043_thumb.jpg

post-27456-055500400 1290920055_thumb.jpg

What a beauty! Seems to be in extremely well cared for condition for its age.

I sure wish I had a guitar like this to have learned on 43 years ago...Ha!

Keep on googling, there are some really good sites that will help you identify and date your guitar. John Thomas (jt) is a very knowledgeable member of this forum. I am sure you will get info much quicker from this forum and on your own, than you will from Gibson!

Good Luck, Rod

Jerry,

Well, the FON looks like 1325 to me, too. But, that 'burst looks circa 1936 or 1937. In any event, it's gotta be a mid-late 1930s L-00. Absolutely and without question, imho, the ultimate blues/ragtime box.

Thanks, again, for sharing the pics with us.

post-27296-042881700 1291094506_thumb.jpgWhat a coincedence we have here. I'm also a newbie looking for id help with my old Gibson.

From reading your responses, we have the same guitar!

2 players/collectors and Gibson customer service all agree that I have a 1933-37 L-00.

I plan to sell mine if the market is right, if the market is depressed (and why wouldn't it be)I'll hold onto it.

It's not officially for sale yet but I got a $1000 offer 10 minutes after I wrote to a big collector. Another collector told me that the guitar should sell for between $2500 and $3500 depending on condition. It should be worth it, we own the best blues and jazz guitars ever made. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'll try to watch you topic for more info and you are welcome to look at my responses at Vintage Gibson Guitars/Gibson 1920s flattop/dmlabs . We should be careful when we list our guitars for sale; if we work together and not offer for sale at the same time, we should hit near the top of the market.

I'll try to post a picture of mine if I can get the posting thing to work. DM

I think we're going to hang onto our old Gibson.

I've got my 9 year old daughter giving me lessons - I figure it's a good way to reinforce the lessons she's receiving and, truth be told, I always thought I'd like to play the guitar but never pursued it.

Now if I can just get my instructor to have a little more patience with her new student...

I've seen several high 4-digit FONs like 1325 that almost overlap the start of the lettering system Gibson started 1935. I would guess-timate your L-00 is a late 1934 or early 1935. I believe the first 'A' code batch was probably mid-1935.

Archived