Gibson Brands Forums

mini-humbuckers in sg classic

renin74

anyone ever change or see an sg classic with mini-humbuckers? I got a heritage cherry one with p90s and it just has never looked right to me( i guess you might wonder why i bought it then!) always felt like i need a guitar with p90s. sounds great, but I have always liked the look of a heritage cherry sg with chrome/nickel cover pickups. Does anyone know if the mini-humbuckers would fit into the space where the p90s are and how it would sound? I got the idea from a youtube video. the guitar sounded great, but I couldn't quite get a good look at it,

thanks

Routing wise, they should... BUT, the ways of anchoring the pickups in the holes are different.

So, you may have to drill some extra holes, for that? Also, be aware of the depth of SG routing,

compared to Les Pauls. Not sure, but I think the LP's are a bit deeper? So, that may (or may not)

be a factor, too... I have thought about putting Mini's in my faded "Double Cut" LP, but...so far,

thinking about it, is as far as it's gone. ;>b

CB

I have an SG Classic w/P-90 's also, and have been curious to see what a set of mini-humbuckers would sound like. There are no options for us Classic/p-90 owners as far as pickup swaps without major surgery. If someone would make a pickguard cut for mini's, I'm sure they would be a drop in fit....Any after-market vendors listening?? I ran this by Jay at Guitar Fetish, but he just replied there must be someone doing that type of pickguard cut already...I've been looking, no one is doing it......Maybe we all can email Jay, as it seems he has the resources to do something like this if he can make it worthwhile ($$$).....

Mini humbuckers were designed to fit in the P-90 opening.

When the Les Paul came out in '68 with the P-90, they decided to offer the mini hb from the Epiphone line.

A plastic shroud was fabricated to fill in around the pickup.

The primary difference is that the P-90 screws go right thru the middle of the pickup.

I believe you can find chrome covers for P-90s if the visuals are your only concern.

I own 2 unmodified guitars: an SG Classic and an Epi Riviera with mini's. These two compliment one another amazingly well when I record with them.

I don't think the tonal difference would be great enough to justify a swap -- unless the hiss of the classic's single coils bothers you and, even then, you might consider a noise filter instead of a pup swap.

Archived