Gibson Brands Forums

Great debate right now on the AGF if new Gibbys are any good ..

EuroAussie

My theory about the Gibson bashing is that over 50% of AGF members classify themselves as fingerstylists, and arguably they prefer the Taylors, Goodalls etc for fingerstyle over Gibson, so they find it diffucult to relate to the brand and tone.

You know, this is a pretty interesting theory. I'm a Gibson fan and pretty much stick to the fingerpicking style, and I've also complained about the high percentage of "dud" Gibsons that I've encountered. I would put the number of Gibsons that I've been disappointed with over the years at over 50% easily. So many of those Gibsons that I've been disappointed with sound dead or as if they've been strung up with rubber bands instead of strings. A bit of that Nick Drake sound if you will. This has nothing to do with the strings by the way, my Gibsons are full of life far after the strings should have been changed.

The thing is, someone out there is buying all of these guitars that I'm turning my nose up at. Perhaps if you're strumming chords instead of picking individual strings this sound has more of an appeal, more of a muted sound that works in a backing track for example. As has been pointed out, if the majority of folks over at AGF are fingerstyle type players, then a lot of Gibsons are going to come across as far less than desirable in their minds. As always, I'm really happy with the Gibsons that I own, but I played an awful lot of 'em to find the ones that appealed to me. I'd also want to play another other brand guitar before buying as well.

All the best,

Guth

When I was looking for a guitar, after 25-30 years of neglect, I thought I wanted a rose wood and spruce guitar. I looked at Taylors – they were far too bright IMO. I look at Martins, which sounded good. Then a friend of mine told me that the way I play would sound well on a mahogany guitar. I played a couple Hummingbirds and j45s. I was convinced! Rather I was hooked! Almost a year ago I bought a j45. About a month ago I was in the local guitar shop playing a couple new Gibsons they got. I also played some Taylors and some Martins. There was a POW Martin, in their mahogany model, that I played. I have played the Martin mahogany dredknots (sp!) before and was glad I got a Gibson. I don’t know what they did different to this one but it sounded really nice. I looked at my friend and we both were thinking the same thing, “It almost sounds like a j45. Enough said, let them whine. :)

Good points, brought forth by everyone. Debating this is a lot like debating politics/politicians.

I have always liked Gibson acoustics for their looks! I prefer sunburst. Just a great combination of wood, colors and mother of pearl.Also, the best-looking headstock on this planet! To me, Taylors, Martins,etc. natural topped guitars look kind of bland. I am much more tolerant of a natural top on a Gibson.

Tonewise....well, Only a Gibson is Good Enough [smile]

Guild acoustics would come second for me in the 'tone and aesthetically pleasing' dept.

Good points, brought forth by everyone. Debating this is a lot like debating politics/politicians.

I have always liked Gibson acoustics for their looks! I prefer sunburst. Just a great combination of wood, colors and mother of pearl.Also, the best-looking headstock on this planet! To me, Taylors, Martins,etc. natural topped guitars look kind of bland. I am much more tolerant of a natural top on a Gibson.

Tonewise....well, Only a Gibson is Good Enough [smile]

Guild acoustics would come second for me in the 'tone and aesthetically pleasing' dept.

Interesting comment about Guilds. I always sort of considered them to be Gibsons lesser known cousin. I find the look, feel and tone to be quite similar to Gibson, hence the reason why I like them. In particular the Guild F-50 jumbo which I rate on a similar par with the SJ-200.

Also interestingly, there arent too many other guitar brands out there which actually remind of the Gibson tone. Perhaps Greven guitars, which are utterly awesome.

I think the OP was innocent enough asking if Gibson was up to snuff and what would be available in the $1500.00 range. Fair question, then the my dog is better than yours kicked in. I love the diversity of the board from new players to even the "cork sniffers" Seems many on the board do not own high end guitars and when they pick up a 2-4k guitar they expect a miracle instead of potential.

MP killer Knoppler vid! Knoppler and Lyndsey Buckingham are my to fav rock pickers.

That frat boy computer geek attitude of" guitar brand A is great and guitar brand B sucks"......well that's just the domain of name calling internet trolls. Do we like our Gibsons? Sure that's why we are here. Do other manufacturers like Taylor, Martin, Guild, Larivee, etc, make some really great guitars? Of course they do and I've seen many. We are just on this forum celebrating our preference and love for our Gibby acoustics.......but there are many really fine guitars out there. People should just live and let live. Peace out !

That frat boy computer geek attitude of" guitar brand A is great and guitar brand B sucks"......

US/THEM -

Well spoken - but you know how people tend (and sometimes need) to define themselves by counting out others.

Stones - not Beatles. Dylan - not Donovan. Laurel'n'Hardy - not Chaplin and so forth.

I'd go for double instead of half -

Gibson hate is rooted in the belief that Gibson sound quality from guitar to guitar is a crap-shoot, where you have to play several to find one that sounds good. Conflate that with high price and general envy, and you have the basis for irrational dislike.

Of course, the core problem here is the mediocre MasterBuild strings that new Gibsons are shipped with. Face it, after a couple weeks hanging on the show-room wall, they sound like duds.

Gibson's reputation with bloom if they would simply ship all the guitars with Elixir Nanowebs on the guitar and a set of Masterbuilts in the case.

This, I am sure about.

Amen, Danner!!! Now that's the best comment ever! =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

That frat boy computer geek attitude of" guitar brand A is great and guitar brand B sucks"......

Hey Why the computer geek hating??? So I know the difference between RAID 1 and RAID 0 or SAS drives Vs. SATA.....

But I was never in a fraternity .....

[flapper]

Archived