Gibson Brands Forums

$14,000.00?

Gilliangirl

All of you must be players, and not collectors. I'm a player too. I agree. But it reminds me of George Gruhn once writing in an article sometime in the 70s I think, that the vintage electric guitar market had obviously peaked when a Gibson '59 Les Paul sold for something like $26k. Gruhn himself thought this was absurd. Well, now we all have seen the price of these soar to somewhere in the neighborhood of $300k. When items become scarce, and collectors want them...well then, the price increases. Nobody knows which items these will be. I'd rather get my joy out of playing the guitars, as would most of you.

I agree that its way way overpriced ! "But" There is no comparison in the sound with a vintage 50s SJ and a modern TV SJ.

The seller does appear to be on puppy chow.

But by the same token I know more than a few Old School Gibson freaks who will tell you there is no comparison in the sound put out by a 1945 SJ and one made from 1955 on. And I gotta admit some of those 1940s and early 50s SJs I have played were incredible sounding guitars.

All it takes is one person to buy it at that price....and the market on these takes off. I would definitely have to touch,play,smell and feel that guitar before considering(if I had it).... that kind of money. Plus...I would have to be fairly certain that the 'market' for that guitar would hold up in the future!

Hey, it doesn,t hurt to ask for that kind of money! I bet that it sits for awhile... however!

Overpriced, imho, at this time. But, vintage (Banner years only) rosewood SJs have sold for north of $35K and mahogany SJs (again, Banner years) have sold for north of $20K. 2 years ago, $14K for this one might not have been out of line.

I've got a minty 1943 SJ that I would not consider selling for anywhere near $14K.

I suppose I can't blame the seller for trying, although he does seem misguided or misinformed, or both.

It seems his dad should have sold it to the "fairly well known" bluegrass/folk musician from Maine who wanted to buy it back in the '80s. If true, it was probably the best deal he'll ever be offered for the guitar. And the "if true" is an important qualifier here because really, how many bluegass/folks musicians -- even the "fairly well known" ones -- have $20K sitting around to spend on guitars?

Archived