Gibson Brands Forums

New SG W/Burstbckers & Coil Split

Rewddawg

Yup.

That model has been out for a while now.

They are now offering it in Honeyburst as well, at least at Guitar Center.

Not sure if that particular color is a G.Center/Musicians Friend/Music 123 exclusive.

I've seen both in person, and played the white model.

IMO the Burst-Bucker 1&3 coil-taps on the SG don't sound as "Fenderish" as the `57 Classic/B.B.3 coil-taps on the Les Paul Traditional Pro(Another exclusive).

Especiallly in the neck position.

Yup.

That model has been out for a while now.

They are now offering it in Honeyburst as well, at least at Guitar Center.

Not sure if that particular color is a G.Center/Musicians Friend/Music 123 exclusive.

I've seen both in person, and played the white model.

IMO the Burst-Bucker 1&3 coil-taps on the SG don't sound as "Fenderish" as the `57 Classic/B.B.3 coil-taps on the Les Paul Traditional Pro(Another exclusive).

Especiallly in the neck position.

I haven't been able to play either one. I guess it depends if you want that Fender sound or not. I know my Dirty Fingers pups sound alot like Ritchie Blackmore when he played with Rainbow esp. the Dio years. When they are in single coil mode.

I haven't been able to play either one. I guess it depends if you want that Fender sound or not. I know my Dirty Fingers pups sound alot like Ritchie Blackmore when he played with Rainbow esp. the Dio years. When they are in single coil mode.

To be honest the split is very middle of the road sounding. I pop the taps when I go into some Nirvana or a country song, it does a passable job.

Here's a link to a newer version of the SG. It has Burstbucker pups and coil split. Supposed to be available soon!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Standard-with-CoilSplitting-Electric-Guitar?sku=583403

I played them. I honestly don't care too much for the coil taps, but I prefer the burstbuckers over the standard SG pickups in the Standard. and in white [drool]

Man, that white looks great with the black and ebony.

Saa_weet ! . . . [thumbup]

Darn right! :) I was so glad when I finally found it, lost out on 2 white 61 RI's to sniping bots on ebay. I was really down in the dumps and hitting every guitar shop within a 3 hour drive. No one sold Gibsons anymore. I finally drove North to Overland Park to GC and I saw it hanging on the wall. I just stopped and stared, awestruck that I finally found what I was looking for. Spent 20 minutes playing it and then took it home, it's a joy to even look at it as I'm sitting here typing.

I played them. I honestly don't care too much for the coil taps, but I prefer the burstbuckers over the standard SG pickups in the Standard. and in white [drool]

Yeah I don't like coil taps either. They just don't do it for me.

I love the Burstbuckers though. I have a BB3 in my SG. It sounds sweet.

I just saw one of the honeyburst ones in GC last week. It looked NICE. I was with my drummer and we were on a mission so I didn't pick it up though.

Archived