Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Piano Players

cookieman15061

Great thread Cookie msp_thumbup.gif

I hope I can learn a lot here as I don't know much about rock keyboard players. I do love Ray Manzeriks playing with the Doors and also loved the guy (who ever it was) who played organ and piano at the Clapton, Albert Hall gigs in late 80s.

I wore the tape out!! It was (and is) the best blues piano playing I have heard. Does anyone know the player was?

Matt

and also loved the guy (who ever it was) who played organ and piano at the Clapton, Albert Hall gigs in late 80s.

I wore the tape out!! It was (and is) the best blues piano playing I have heard. Does anyone know the player was?

Matt

Was that the 24 Nights recording, Matt? If so it was Johnnie Johnson (Chuck Berry legend) on piano. This link has the full list of performers...

But I'll paste the text too...

Performers

Eric Clapton - Guitar/Vocals

Greg Phillinganes - Keyboards/Vocals

Nathan East - Bass/Vocals

Steve Ferrone - Drums

Phil Collins - Tambourine

Buddy Guy - Guitar

Robert Cray - Guitar

Johnnie Johnson - Piano

Richard Cousins - Bass

Jamie Oldaker - Drums

Phil Palmer - Guitar

Chuck Leavell - Keyboards

Ray Cooper - Percussion

Katie Kissoon- Backing Vocals

Tessa Niles - Backing Vocals

Alan Clarke - Keyboards

Ed Shearmur - Keyboards

The National Philharmonic Orchestra

Thanks so much!! I am off to youtube now. I just loved how he played msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

yes it must be what you posted as I remember it featured Robert Cray!!! I taped it off the BBC radio and must have been 13 or 14. That blank tape that recorded this concert gave me so much joy!

I remember Clapton calling out the key changes and the band adjusting accordingly.

Matt

Not rock/pop, but Teddy Wilson is my favorite piano player of all time.

Otherwise, it's Gary Brooker, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, Johnnie Johnson, Dr. John, Ray Charles, Les McCann and Champion Jack Dupree. Granted, I could stand to listen to more boogie-woogie and piano blues.

Here he is with the great Lester Young:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2LL7aaYgY

His comping style is so brilliant. He really set the standard for an entire tradition of jazz piano.

Archived