Gibson Brands Forums

Always wondered this... why does Gibson have like a thousand models of each guitar?

WhiteRaven

It's so confusing... there's so many different models of Les Paul and SG that all seem so similar... why can't they just make a few models with a bunch of options instead of having a thousand different models?

IE:

Les Paul:

Standard (Standard)

Traditional (Traditional)

Special (Studio)

Special Faded (Vintage Mahogany)

Robot (Robot)

SG:

Standard (Standard)

Traditional ('61 RI)

Special (Special)

Special Faded (Special Faded)

Robot (Robot)

I'm sure I missed very many models up there, but that's just an example.

And then lump all the different features as options in each model? I'm sure it's not quite that simple, but it'd certainly go along way to making things less confusing.

I'm not asking for change or anything here, this is all totally hypothetical and I'm certainly no expert on business models. I'm sure it's quite beneficial to Gibson to have so many different models and such.

They should really just have one Traditional/Classic, one Standard, and one Special/Studio that's in the 600-900 dollar range, really. Instead of just adding a bunch of new SKUs, just iterate on the ones you already have. And maybe give people the option to choose pickups, if that's the problem.

$$$$$$$

for lesters i would go with :

special (for the p90s)

studio

standard (no chambering!!!!)

robot (if you must)

supreme as the higher end model (would have gone with the custom, but its now part of the CS line)

i would offer 50s or 60s neck on all models. i would also offer a variety of colors. i would also want the studio to have the same PUs as the std (isnt that the point of a studio?) hell i might even offer a choice of pickups (ie BB Pros, ceramics, 57s or 490/498)

$$$$$$$

for lesters i would go with :

special (for the p90s)

studio

standard (no chambering!!!!)

robot (if you must)

supreme as the higher end model (would have gone with the custom' date=' but its now part of the CS line)

i would offer 50s or 60s neck on all models. i would also offer a variety of colors. i would also want the studio to have the same PUs as the std (isnt that the point of a studio?) hell i might even offer a choice of pickups (ie BB Pros, ceramics, 57s or 490/498)[/quote']Exactly. Or, we could add the Classic to both lists as the P-90 guitar.

It's so confusing... there's so many different models of Les Paul and SG that all seem so similar... why can't they just make a few models with a bunch of options instead of having a thousand different models?

It is at first, yes...but after a while it really isn't. If you have any questions, just fire away.

Maybe this isn't the right answer, but the reason I wouldn't offer any options is this...

I own a 2006 LP Standard. When somebody else posts a question and say they also own a 2006 LP Standard, I know right away that it has BurstBucker Pro pickups, tiny ceramic caps, either a 50s or 60s style neck, and a weight-relieved back.

Now, if Gibson offered the Standard with a whole bunch of options, you really wouldn't know what equipment was in your particular guitar. Especially, if you bought the guitar used...you'd have no clue what you were getting. What pickups, neck style, caps, pots, etc.

The way Gibson has their line up makes perfect sense to me. Again, if you have any questions, just fire away.

You find that confusinig? You should visit carvin's site... or washburn or bc rich... they have lots of models and each shape has different options' date=' from 99 bucks for a guitar to 3K... imagine that.[/quote']

Or Fender. There are 53 different versions of Stratocasters alone, not including finish options and left handed versions. That's just too much to sort through, IMO, but I guess they must be selling them or else they wouldn't be making them.

Or Fender. There are 53 different versions of Stratocasters alone' date=' not including finish options and left handed versions. That's just too much to sort through, IMO, but I guess they must be selling them or else they wouldn't be making them.[/quote']

F-en-d-u'?

Whats that man? Are they like... gibson copies? :-k I didnt know they had that many strat variations man... but it makes sense: between korean, mexican and american they should be up tho 50 or more models.

Archived