Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro finish care (Gibson SG)

mac75

Hello, just bought a 2010 SG Standard. It has the Heritage Cherry nitro finish and looks great. Someone told me not to use guitar polish on it as it would hurt the finish. What is the best way to care for the nitro finish on this guitar? Thanks.

I've always used retired, clean, 100% cotton plain (non printed) t-shirts that had a "hot last wash" with no detergent or fabric softener, no cleaners or polishes either....my 3 Gibsons are all spotless, near pristene, and one of them is well over 20 yrs old.

I use Formbys "lemon oil" (i know it's only 5% lemon) on my fretboards 2x the 1st year I have the guitar, then 1x yearly thereafter.........

my guitars and fretboards look GREAT !!

Hello, just bought a 2010 SG Standard. It has the Heritage Cherry nitro finish and looks great. Someone told me not to use guitar polish on it as it would hurt the finish. What is the best way to care for the nitro finish on this guitar? Thanks.

virtuoso cleaner/polish is your friend [thumbup]

virtuoso

Guitar stands - - bad for - - Nitro

Be careful of the rubber/foam on guitar stands - it can react with the nitro and ruin the finish. Make sure you guitar stand is nitro friendly, and also use a cotton cloth (preferrably white - undyed) to further protect the nitro finish from even nitro friendly rubber/foam.

Now, enjoy your 2010 SG Standard B)

There ya go!

Everyone knows EXACTLY what to do. All you have to do is pick a solution and implement it!

That was easy!

easy-button.jpg

Archived