Gibson Brands Forums

My First Les Paul

StudioPlusCherry

Well I decided to take a walk on the darkside and jumped head first into Les Paul fandom. I picked up a 2006 Les Paul Studio Plus with the Cherry Finish from GC with some black friday deals. I've combo'd the guitar up with a Marshall 15gx for some pretty positive results. Does anyone have any good sites with info on this run of guitars? I've had a hard time finding descriptions of the studio plus tops vs premium plus tops, etc... Any and all info is welcomed. Now time for the pictures:

p1020419o.jpg

p1020429o.jpg

p10204230.jpg

That's a beautiful guitar man!

Gratz the purchase!

Not sure what info you're looking for, but the only real diference I know of between plus and premium plus is the grade of maple.... basically more flame on the premium and it may (or may not!) be matched better.

Welcome to the LP side!!

That's a beautiful guitar man!

Gratz the purchase!

Not sure what info you're looking for, but the only real diference I know of between plus and premium plus is the grade of maple.... basically more flame on the premium and it may (or may not!) be matched better.

Welcome to the LP side!!

I was really happy with the price...talked them down to $680 bucks out the door. Is there any downside (aside from potential pick scuffing) with removing a pickguard from a LP? I love the look of the flames and that giant black guard is covering up alot of beauty. I have to admit my poor 86 strat is going to collect some serious dust in the near future.

No sir. There will be a couple of small screw holes, and if you rest your fingers on the wood, it will eventually wear (mojo!) but that's really the only downside, outside of the aforementioned pick damage.

I never put the PG on mine. It was just too purty :D!

Ya know... I just remembered there is a guy who makes clear pickguards for LPs.

Could be the best of both worlds... :)

oooohhh I like that idea....also, anyone have a good reference guide on getting classic "tones" out of a Les Paul? Turns out a Les Paul is just a tad different from a Fender...

Dime the tone knobs and use the volume like God intended.

What amp?

lol, will do on the tone knobs. I am currently using a Marshall 15fx solid state combo amp currently, it has four channels preset (clean, cruch, od1, and od2). I can get plenty of nice crunchy tones with a ton of sustain, but I'm having a hard time finding that "bluesy sound" or good metallic solo sounds (if that makes any sense). I swear someone needs to write the EncyclopediaTonica for us beginners. :)

lol, will do on the tone knobs. I am currently using a Marshall 15fx solid state combo amp currently, it has four channels preset (clean, cruch, od1, and od2). I can get plenty of nice crunchy tones with a ton of sustain, but I'm having a hard time finding that "bluesy sound" or good metallic solo sounds (if that makes any sense). I swear someone needs to write the EncyclopediaTonica for us beginners. :)

You really need a valve (tube) amp to get the real blues tone. I use amongst others a Fender Blues Deluxe which is perfect for it. On the downside, it's really, really loud so a Blues Junior may be a better option for you...

Archived