Gibson Brands Forums

1957 black beauty reissue?

mcstrums

I have an opportunity to buy an alleged 1957 black beauty reissue. I was also looking at a supposed Gibson ES335 but thanks to all who identified it as a counterfeit in the hollow body thread, I backed away from that one and notified the current owner that it was a fake. Back to the 57 reissue...I will post some pics. Would appreciate if anyone could id this for what it is.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

I need to know if this is an actual 57 reissue.

Ok, let's try it this way... what makes you think it isn't?

Binding?

Headstock?

Tuners?

pickups?

Pick guard?

Fretboard?

See, that way, if your name is really Sum Dum Long and you work in a Chinese fake factory, no one is just handing you info on how to build a better fake. So instead of me giving you all the things I look for, You're telling me what made the little yellow flags start waving.

Make sense?

Oh, and if R9 says it's a 57 RI, It's a 57 RI. Period.

Ok, let's try it this way... what makes you think it isn't?

Binding?

Headstock?

Tuners?

pickups?

Pick guard?

Fretboard?

See, that way, if your name is really Sum Dum Long and you work in a Chinese fake factory, no one is just handing you info on how to build a better fake. So instead of me giving you all the things I look for, You're telling me what made the little yellow flags start waving.

Make sense?

Oh, and if R9 says it's a 57 RI, It's a 57 RI. Period.

I get your point. I don't know that much about les pauls to point out any one concern. I know it plays like butter. The action is beyond compare. And the sound is fantastic. I nearly got burned when I almost bought an ES335 fake. Just being cautious thats all. Ok I have to ask Who is R9? That way I know a reliable opinion to value.

Cool man! Not trying to be snarky in the least, just being careful :D

R9 is a long time member here, and over the years, has established himself as a fair expert on Historic Reissues and their features. He also knows a metric crap ton about LesPauls in general.

If I'm to be honest, he has probably bought and sold more guitars in the last 2 years than I have played in my lifetime, but that probably doesn't help much. He's a great guy; you'd like him.

Man if they can fake them that good, they deserve the money they get. That looks like a gorgeous thing. I am now as green as the tuners on my custom special.

(Ummm they did come with green tuners didn't they? DIDN'T THEY?....hello....)

R9 is a long time member here, and over the years, has established himself as a fair expert on Historic Reissues and their features. He also knows a metric crap ton about LesPauls in general.

You give me too much credit. I'm no expert.

If I'm to be honest, he has probably bought and sold more guitars in the last 2 years than I have played in my lifetime

This part is probably true. [biggrin]

The serial number 75349 rolls in our database as a 1957 reissue Les Paul Custom Black beauty, from 1995, in ebony, with gold-plated hardware, made at the Custom Shop in Nashville Tennessee. It would be the 349th 1957 reissue solidbody made that year at the factory.

Thanks for the help R9 !

Just asking because I do not know but why would Grover tuners be on it instead of Gibson Schallers

BTW, I am looking for a reissue Black Beauty in trade for my 1980 e/2 or some other unpainted Les Paul Standard or Deluxe. I think they made a Classic version recently?

Archived