Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP 100 advice...

240SX

Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums so be gentle. I've recently discovered my love for playing guitar again after a several year break. I'm looking into upgrading the stock pick-ups on my Epiphone LP 100 and I could use some advice as to what would be good. I play blues primarily and have a Peavey Bandit Transtube amp. I was told that "Guitar Force" pickups are good but I've been out of the scene for so long that I have no idea. I have no idea what my price range is, so what ever suggestions you guys could make would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums so be gentle. I've recently discovered my love for playing guitar again after a several year break. I'm looking into upgrading the stock pick-ups on my Epiphone LP 100 and I could use some advice as to what would be good. I play blues primarily and have a Peavey Bandit Transtube amp. I was told that "Guitar Force" pickups are good but I've been out of the scene for so long that I have no idea. I have no idea what my price range is, so what ever suggestions you guys could make would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would also check into GFS @ guitarfetish.com Good stuff at reasonable prices. Many PU choices, lots of other gear.

Faded....

I'm looking into upgrading the stock pick-ups on my Epiphone LP 100

i have p90 soapbars in mine great sound

Would love to see "pics".

Generally which one has the best sound for blues? Also I was looking at replacing the pick guard and colored accents on my guitar, where are these available? I had a look on eBay and couldn't find any.

First, Welcome to the forum!

Let me get this straight. You are willing to put $250 worth of Guitar Fourse pickups in a $300 guitar?

Have you changed out the electronics already?

I personally would not put that expensive of a pickup in any Epiphone with "standard" stock pots, caps and wiring.

I can understand why you would want to change out the stock pickups. The 700T and 650R are very hot. (around 14 or 16k if I recall) I have had them before and I consider them a little raw.

I would do as Fadedepi suggests and look at the GFS selection.

I've had the Mean 90s. (humbucker sized P90s) The neck pickup has a nice rounded tone. The bridge pickup is quite bright with a fair amount of bite depending on your amp settings.

The Vintage 59's are also quite good for the money and a big step up from the 700T and 650R.

A mix between them with the Mean 90s neck and Vintage 59 bridge is also quite popular.

Have a look at all their pickups. They have quite a selection. (some with sound clips)

Other popular brands start going up in price from there.

As far as the "cosmetics" go... You will have a hard time finding Epi pickguards.

Last time I changed one out I think I bought it from Stewmac. It was not a direct fit.

I had to make a construction paper tracing of the newly purchased pickguard....Fit that to the guitar...trim to fit....retrace on back of pickguard...and trim around pickup cutouts with a dremel...finish with file....fill near neck screw hole in guitar...and redrill new hole for near neck screw in guitar....Not that tough but a pain in the butt. (most replacement pickguards are made for Gibbys. The pickup spacing is not the same)

You can make a tracing of yours and have one custom made but they can get costly.

As far as pickup mounting rings go....Epi and Gibson are different size.

Where do you live? It can make a difference. If you live in the U.K. I probably won't be able to help much.

Willy

Generally which one has the best sound for blues? Also I wss looking at replacing the pick guard and colored accents on my guitar, where are these available? I had a look on eBay and couldn't find any.

These for blues perhaps: http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Classic-II-Alnico-2-Vintage-wound-Humbuckers-Black-_c_86.html

Click here for pickguards: http://pickguards.us/priceles.html

Here for parts: http://www.stewmac.com/ and here: http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts (for starters)

+1 on replacing the pots, wire, switch, and jack along with.

Thanks for the information guys. I'm debating maybe keeping this one stock as it was my first guitar that I owned. Maybe if I'm looking for a better sound I'll pick up another guitar and do some changes to that one. To answer the location question I'm in Newfoundland, Canada.

Maybe if I'm looking for a better sound I'll pick up another guitar and do some changes to that one.

Another option would be selling the LP 100 and getting a new one, that's perfect without modding.

I highly recommend to check out the Epi Les Paul Tribute ... you'll be blown away by the sound of the Gibson 57 Classic pickups combined with good electronics and push-pull tone knobs to switch between parallel/serial on both PUPs separately. This guitar has great noisefree clean sounds for Jazz and Blues.

I got the translucent black one with the flat 60ies neck and absolutely love it's huge range of different sounds ... a great allrounder.

You should give it a try in a shop!

PS: It really looks as good as the photos suggest.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived