Gibson Brands Forums

Quietly Built a Little Epi Collection - Didn't See This Coming

doomedfuzz

I consider myself a Gibson man (I have a Les Paul Studio and a Flying V) but over the years and without intent, I've ended up with 3 excellent Epiphone guitars and they all have the same color scheme which is cool - again not intended. Newest is a Sheraton II that I'm just falling in love with. Got it last week and can't put it down. I picked up one of the MARS Music Moderne's from 2000 a couple of years ago and I have an LP Custom that my wife bought me as my first real guitar in 1999 as a Christmas gift. I still play it to this day, in fact I did at band practice last night - has a Gibson 500T/496Rs in it. I need a family pic!

155100_10150097933252165_505002164_7854477_8009453_n.jpg

l_536fe6794d484a40a36292038945a0a9.jpg

l_14a3e3aa44ed4466bff3b95abfe0ca8b.jpg

I think I have been bitten by the EpiCollectingItis bug myself! I bought a new Epi. L.P. Plain Top HCSB a couple months ago and I just bought a new old stock Ace Frehley Model Les Paul Custom HCSB today and I'm going to be buying a new Epi. 56 Gold Top as soon as my local music store gets more in stock.

Shawn

__________________________________________________________________________________________

1987 Gibson SG Elite USA in Pearl White w/OHSC

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard HCSB Plain Top Made in China

New Old Stock 2004 Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom HCSB Flame Maple top Made in Korea

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Vintage Silvertone 10watt practice amp

Digitech RP-90

BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive for great Blues Tones

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

i think epi's are ideal guitars for collecting. They make good quality reasonably priced guitars that are fun to play, easy on the eye, and also make great modding platforms. it is quite possible to build up a nice collection with out having to re-mortgage your house. [thumbup]

i think epi's are ideal guitars for collecting. They make good quality reasonably priced guitars that are fun to play, easy on the eye, and also make great modding platforms. it is quite possible to build up a nice collection with out having to re-mortgage your house. [thumbup]

I don't have an Epi collector's issue at all, Seriously I don't. :unsure:

1000336n.jpg

You hit the nail right on the head! Most Epi. Les Paul's are priced around the $500.00 to $600.00 range where as a 2010 Gibby Les Paul Standard Limited is over $6,000.00! If you think about it, you can buy around 10 Epi's for the price of one Gibby!! Also, the "limited run" Epi. models seem to be made in more abundance than the Gibby's.

Crazy isn't it?

Shawn

I think I have been bitten by the EpiCollectingItis bug myself! I bought a new Epi. L.P. Plain Top HCSB a couple months ago and I just bought a new old stock Ace Frehley Model Les Paul Custom HCSB today and I'm going to be buying a new Epi. 56 Gold Top as soon as my local music store gets more in stock.

Shawn

__________________________________________________________________________________________

1987 Gibson SG Elite USA in Pearl White w/OHSC

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard HCSB Plain Top Made in China

New Old Stock 2004 Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom HCSB Flame Maple top Made in Korea

Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo

Marshall 4x12 cab.

Vintage Silvertone 10watt practice amp

Digitech RP-90

BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive for great Blues Tones

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah, the EpiCollectingitis bug! Have an AJ500RC, had a PR6E, am setting sights on a Joe Pass, and would like to add the worn-finish Wilshire with the minibuckers and the LP Special that came out a while back with the P90s, TV yellow, please! Then I'll wait for them to make a decent acoustic 12 string.

I try to tell myself that I judge my guitars on their individual merits, but I have to admit being a lot more impressed with my Epiphones than I am with my American made Gibson Les Paul. I'm finding it hard to see the value in the higher priced guitars right now.

Archived