Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else just like to laugh at the comments?

dem00n

This is why I stick with the lounge ( besides being a mod elsewhere )...No thread on the lounge EVER devolves into that sort of mayhem and chaos.....Ever...

Unbelievable....and the comments...........shocking.....

The guy thats said this wins the funniest comment award:

"you can buy a guitar, a bass, a drum set, a couple of amps and hire three guys to play music for you with 33.000 $"

Although I like to add that you would still have money left to put into your 401K at the end of that. msp_lol.gif

"Nobody has money for this. It's bad that Gibson thinks they can sell this as a good deal, and the pathedic thing is THAT SOMEBODY PROBABLY WILL BUY THIS!!! Epiphone is way better and way cheaper. "

A LOT wrong with this.

spelling, (patheDic)

AND EPIPHONE IS BETTER?!?! [scared] I never would have known...

Gibsoncom-GibsonCustomCitation_1291585093347.png?t=1291585247

its its funny that 10 nincompoops liked the comment [flapper]

I wonder if Gibson would build me a lefty Citation for a 5% upcharge?

Oh, wait, never mind...I already have a lefty Epi Joe Pass Emperor II; it's way better.

All of your guitars are real and awesome...[thumbup]

I don't approve it either but you should keep in mind that the Citation price tag helps to define the Gibson brand value, in fact it keeps the resale value even of your cheaper but still overpriced Gibson on an agreeable level. This is a kind of capitalistic arrogance you must not like, but if you own any Gibson, it works in your favour. That's all the Citation is about. And maybe some whacky dream of the Gibson luthiers (they're artists after all) to build the ultimate archtop.

Overpriced is a relative term, friend.

You're right, no doubt, but I still wonder why overpricing is tacitly accepted with cars, fashion clothing, jewlery, works of art, accessories like watches, cosmetics/perfumes, high end hifi, fashionable electronics, hotel/restaurant prices etc... but not with guitars. It's just the same. If you can afford it you have the choice, if you cannot, you don't. I congratulate every owner of the Citation. I respect and in fact appreciate their choice to buy this instrument rather than a(nother) Ferrari or a(nother) set of useless diamond earrings for their fastidious wife.

i like the guy who has a 65 Les Paul Custom [biggrin]

+1.

That and the Epiphone's are way better remark.

Idiots.

As has been mentioned; if any one of us were to pick one up without knowing it's value we would probably think it was one hell of a good guitar.

FWIW in the 1977 edition of "The Gibson Guitar from 1950" this is what Ian C. Bishop had to say about the Citation;

"In any event the Gibson jazz-style guitar has, in a sense, always been the flagship of the Gibson range and the finest woods, materials and workmanship have always been lavished on such instruments.

This has resulted in the production of the Citation, which is illustrated in this book, and is the epitome of the Gibson cello guitar. The UK list price for one of these at present stands at about $7,000 and each guitar is made only to special order and carries the buyers name on the truss rod cover. So far 15 of these have found homes and, in time, they will almost certainly become the guitar world's equivalent of the Stradivarius violin."

As a benchmark the author mentions, in the same book, that the current price '59 Standards were fetching was around $5,000.

P.

*RANT ALERT*

Gibson needs to disable the comments/review feature on their product pages. They are just giving broke idiots a mouth piece to bash products that they are too poor to afford. This was actually one of the two comments that I made on Henry's forum before I split. 95% of the people that comment are guys with too much time on their hands that like to complain about prices, when they would never buy a Gibson even if they were significantly less expensive. It is the equivalent of me going on the Jaguar forum and complaining about how poor quality and over-priced the cars are, even though I have never driven one and could not afford one even if they were half as much. I might also throw in a comment about how my Hyundai is actually better than a Jaguar.

The price comments just kill me, and I have 0 sympathy for the price whiners. I worked for Taco Johns and earned minimum wage ($4.25 an hour) in high school at age 16, and after a little more than a year, was able to save up enough for a used Gibson. A year after that, I bought a $750 amp. After saving for and buying a slew of Fenders and cool amps throughout my 20s, I saved up enough for my new LP Standard when I was 28. It took me nine months on a modest income, but I did it. Hell, I have never been close to rich, spent 6 years in college (John Belushi plan), and I have accumulated a crap ton of nice musical sh*t over the last 15 years. I bought it all by simply putting a couple of $ in a coffee can here and there. Seriously, if you cant save $1,500 in a year or two for a used guitar that you really want, overpriced guitars should be the least of your worries. People need to learn how to budget, make sacrifices, and save for the things they really want. Our entire economy is in the crapper because idiots took out loans from other idiots to buy houses and crap that cost more a month than they make.

Archived