Gibson Brands Forums

LaBella Flats string break question. Please help.

Lungimsam

Just installed La Bella Deep Talkin 760FM Flatwounds (46-109).

The package says that the string ends must be wound around tuning post with colored end of string end touching it only. If any bare string touches, it will definitely break, they say.

All mine strung up fine except for my low E string, which has about 3/4 inch bare string in contact with the side of the post.

I have the correct longscale strings for my 34" bass, though.

Do you guys have yours string up with a little bit of bare string touching the post also? Is it OK, or will they definitely break?

I just don't want to pop a string during a gig.

Thanks for your help!

I have tried lots of flats:

Fender Flats, all guages - great sound and feel, but sometimes got slivers of metal in my fingers, and fingers get hung up on 'em, like they are tacky or something.

GHS Precsision Med guage flats - great tone outta the package, but fingers get hung up on 'em, like they are tacky or something.

Daddario Chromes, which feel the best on the fingers, so smooth and easy to play, but don't seem to carry alotta tone for my taste.

and now:

LaBella 760FM 49-69-89-109, great tone. I love the 109 low E so I can pund on it and still taut enough to not get floppy.

Only thing is the La Bella package mentioned the winding of the strings on the stringpost thing, and also said they'll break if you use them on a string thru body. Happily, none of mine are string thu's.

Also, it said you have to unwind the string just before tuning up, or it will severely effect the performance of the strings. They show you how to unwind them. Bassically getting the strings to "spin out" along their length once you lay it out straight.

Here's what I'm talkin' about:

labellawind.jpg

PC050031.jpg

I ordered La Bella shorstcale flats for my SG Bass. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got all these sets for about 25$ each - much cheaper than the online places I've seen. La Bellas can be outrageous at some places.

Do you use flats on your SG Bass?

`

Do you guys have yours string up with a little bit

of bare string touching the post also? Is it OK, or

will they definitely break?

`

I never do that, for other reasons as well.

I instal tubular spacers at the ball end. In

your case as described, you need a 3/4"

or 1" spacer [don't want the transition to

be right ON the nut ! ]. The spacer goes

on the string, between the ball and bridge.

The spacers are about a dollar each in the

misc hardware aisle of any REAL hardware

store. On a three-point Gibson bridge you'll

hafta file the corners offa the tips of the two

"fingers" on either side of the spacer to let

the spacer point [sorta] straight back from

the bridge. Otherwise it will point downward

at a noticeable angle, which is OK if you cut

the nonball end of the spacer to a matching

angle, so it fully contacts the rear surface of

the bridge.

`

I ordered La Bella shorstcale flats for my SG Bass. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got all these sets for about 25$ each - much cheaper than the online places I've seen. La Bellas can be outrageous at some places.

Do you use flats on your SG Bass?

For now I use daddario chromes on my SG, but I have also ordered some labella flats, for the same reason as you, the lack of tone in the chromes. One good thing about the chromes is the midrange growl using the bridge pickup on the SG, but i miss some thump and deep button using the neck pickup.

I also have a EB 2 with Pyramid Gold Flats, and have tried these strings on the SG but they were to dull, and did not have the growl using the bridge pickup, I mostly play with the bridge pickup to overdrive my Amp.

Let us report back here when we have tried the labella strings [drool]

Archived