Gibson Brands Forums

It's shipped

crust

I ordered the single cut TV yellow Epiphone Les Paul (and a case) that was going for $249.00 at MF last week. I received the case last week (see my other "thread").

So, you guys can help me now. Are those pickups any good ? pots, nut ? hardware ? Help me pimp this thing to USA LP specs (or better). I'm willing to upgrade and will post pic's. Just help me choose what I need and I'll post "progress" reports (I'm thinking about a Bigsby too). I might hawk my MIM Strat ( Know anyone that would buy a unplayed 2009 MIM Candy Apple Red Strat ? B/O over $400) Set it up, adjusted intonation and saddle height screws, truss rod, screwed in the spring/tremelo screws a little bit deeper (set up) took me about an hour (I did "register" it). Then I put it in it's gig bag and played my P93, SG and Junior. Haven't touched the Strat since.

Help a crusty old dude out, pimp my Epiphone LP. (no pics, not even a link until I get this guitar), soon

I ordered the single cut TV yellow Epiphone Les Paul (and a case) that was going for $249.00 at MF last week. I received the case last week (see my other "thread").

So, you guys can help me now. Are those pickups any good ? pots, nut ? hardware ? Help me pimp this thing to USA LP specs (or better). I'm willing to upgrade and will post pic's. Just help me choose what I need and I'll post "progress" reports (I'm thinking about a Bigsby too). I might hawk my MIM Strat ( Know anyone that would buy a unplayed 2009 MIM Candy Apple Red Strat ? B/O over $400) Set it up, adjusted intonation and saddle height screws, truss rod, screwed in the spring/tremelo screws a little bit deeper (set up) took me about an hour (I did "register" it). Then I put it in it's gig bag and played my P93, SG and Junior. Haven't touched the Strat since.

Help a crusty old dude out, pimp my Epiphone LP. (no pics, not even a link until I get this guitar), soon

Pups are subjective. Only you can decide that

Nut should be replaced. If the tuners are Grovers they should be fine.

Changing switch, pots, jack, and wiring can only help.

Congratulations on your new LP!

So, you guys can help me now. Are those pickups any good ?

Pups are subjective. Only you can decide that

Nut should be replaced. If the tuners are Grovers they should be fine.

Changing switch, pots, jack, and wiring can only help.

+1 on everything SG Ludwig said as far as potential improvements....But...

As a owner I do feel qualified to make a couple of comments.

First congrats on the price. I see they are back up to $379.

Second, I was surprised at just how good the pickups sounded.

Third, do a good setup (if it needs it) and play it for a while. The rest is...whatever and whenever.

Last and MOST IMPORTANT is the way the pickups adjust. Are you familiar with soapbar P90s?

The screws in the face of the pickups screw into the body. They have rubber under the pickup supporting them. Because it is rubber there is a small amount of adjustment.

To go beyond that you need to take some out or add some. One sided tape weatherstripping from a hardware store is about the same thing and it's cheep.

HERE IS THE CATCH: Don't run the screws through the back of the Guitar!!! (if you decide to lower the pups)

(it's the little things in life)

Willy

+1 on everything SG Ludwig said as far as potential improvements....But...

As a owner I do feel qualified to make a couple of comments.

First congrats on the price. I see they are back up to $379.

Second, I was surprised at just how good the pickups sounded.

Third, do a good setup (if it needs it) and play it for a while. The rest is...whatever and whenever.

Last and MOST IMPORTANT is the way the pickups adjust. Are you familiar with soapbar P90s?

The screws in the face of the pickups screw into the body. They have rubber under the pickup supporting them. Because it is rubber there is a small amount of adjustment.

To go beyond that you need to take some out or add some. One sided tape weatherstripping from a hardware store is about the same thing and it's cheep.

HERE IS THE CATCH: Don't run the screws through the back of the Guitar!!! (if you decide to lower the pups)

(it's the little things in life)

Willy

Archived