Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first guitar sound that made you want to play?

Riverside

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3408224062_6f792b2f71_z.jpg?zz=1

And I still have the album. About the time I first heard it, my older brother had a brand new sonic blue '66 Mustang and a Heathkit amp with reverb and tremolo. Warped me forever.

But what drove me completely bonkers, never to return to any semblance of sanity, lucidity, or social grace, was an instrumental version of "These Boots are made for Walkin'" by this guy:

paul%201950%201%20large.jpg

the first guitar sounds that i remember making me think "i like that, i wanna learn to play!"

was the guitar playing in 'Alright now' by 'Free'

I just love that dirty crunchy sound and the lead part although fairly simple, has got some nice vibrato.

I think the seed was sown at the opening of the new Sears store in town, maybe in 1964.

There was a band playing surf music out front, and while I was mesmerized, I couldn't understand what was going on.

I watched the TV, saw the Ed Sullivan show, etc., but never wanted to hop on until later.

I guess I missed a lot.

Well...

I had heard a lotta acoustic pickin' as a kid. I knew eventually I'd want to get a guitar long before the time was right. I was still playing trumpet, including in combos my last two years of high school.

Hanging out at the Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass., got me going on the folkie side and probably got me into my first guitar as a classical one...

But... I had a '50s jazz album with Ruby Braff on cornet. Mundell Lowe did guitar. Milt Hinton on bass. Can't remember who was on drums.

It was all "standards" with a bit of improv and... It's my favorite stuff to play for myself yet today on solo guitar and was my favorite to do trumpet back then.

m

I have a black 'n white photograph of my first meeting with my father. I am about 8 months old, sitting in a baby walker (probably unsafe and toxic). I am looking up at my dad with my fingers stuffed in my mouth, eyes beaming, smiling from ear to ear.

Dad is playing his old Harmony arch top and singing to his new son who was born while his ship was on patrol of Korea..I can just about bet he is playing a Hank Thompson, or Autry, or Sons of the Pioneers...

As much as I would like to say it was a bare chested Page with a sunburst slung down to his knees, I cant truly claim that. If there was one song that got me to pick up my Dad's 60s Melody Maker, this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwWXDMVbbs

I am not a GnR fan today, and have not been one for some time, but I literally wore out Appetite and Illusion tapes back when I was 10-12. It didn't take me long to get into Zeppelin and Floyd, but back when I struggled to finger a G with my un-seasoned fingers, I wanted to be Slash.

I too started my musical life as a "drummer" at age 4, played traditional (underhand?)

but as time wore on and I realised that I would never get a kit as a gift, my dad and granddad were both pickers, so I decided that it would be much cooler to be like them.

I got my first acoustic at age eight, electric at 12, that was the summer I was introduced to SRV.

It's all water under the bridge from there.

Archived