Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first guitar sound that made you want to play?

Riverside

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appetite for Destruction - All of it.

My buddy Mark dubbed this tape for me when I was 10-11, and I listened to it non stop until the tape wore out. I have to say for me it was one of the Illusion albums (which ever one had civil war on it). That song made me pick up a six string. To the day, I still get goosebumps when the heavy riff comes in on the civil war track.

Kinda weird, but I think I was always aware of the guitar. Long before I played it, I was paying attention to it.

I can remember in elementary school a kid (a black kid named Jimmy Miller) had a belt buckle with Jimi Hendrix on it.

He loved that belt buckle. I dug it too, and Jimmy and I were friends. However, when a kid would ask him who it was

he would always say it was Jimi Hendrix - the first black guitar player. Even at maybe 10 years old, I knew that Chuck

Berry preceded Jimi Hendrix. Of course I did not yet know of the countless other players who had preceded Jimi, but I

knew something.

However, I'd have to say that it was probably Jimi who made me want to actually pick up the instrument. Unlike

today, I had only may father's record collection to listen to (until I started mowing yards to buy records). The

only albums he had that I liked, guitar-wise, were the Woodstock albums. I wore the Hendrix tracks out. Even though

I hadn't yet picked up the instrument, that stuff seeped in. Once I could buy albums it was Led Zeppelin and KISS

that made me want to learn the instrument.

However, in hindsight, I'm glad I had dad's record collection because I also inherited a bluegrass bent from his

Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley recordings, and I got to hear Miles and Trane and Monk at an early age. My tastes

might not have been nearly as wide-ranging had I only been downloading AC/DC albums - you know what I'm sayin?

Sorry for getting long-winded here. I know I've exceeded a few attention spans, and I apologize. I promise to post

a few LOLs and [thumbup] to make up for it! [biggrin]

For me, my biggest motivation was probably AC/DC. i like their sound ALOT. im thirteen and have been playing for a year. i play in the youth band at my church so i cant play hard rock.

so my story of my discovery of AC/DC

at the time i knew only the intro to the ocean by led zeppelin, and the main riff to smoke on the water. then one day i said"dad, who else do you know of besides deep purple and led zeppelin" and he said "well what about AC/DC" and i said" i dont know if ive heard of them" then he said "well youtube the song TNT. i looked it up and said" i think ive heard that before!"and i love the way they played them power chords in such an awesome way and had crazy solos. so AC/DC is pretty much my biggest influence, and learning their music kinda made me play the guitar the way i play it.

So, the song from AC/DC that started it all for me-TNT

Brian Johnson Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kgk8xm707U

Original (Bon Scott Version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSt_QiumVc

Showing my age here, but Chuck Berry's "chuga chuga chuga" rhythm playing

was the "magic" for me. That, and Chet Atkins' playing, too. [thumbup]

Then, I met Johhny Smith, and just about quit playing, altogether! He

was an amazing guitarist! He did runs and licks on my guitar, just setting it up, and making sure it was "right," that I'd never heard,

much less thought I could ever do, at that time. Really great guy, too!

CB

I'm with bigneil on the Paul Kossoff front.

I can't find the live footage on youtube (strangely enough; they seem to have the rest of the concert) but I saw a clip of Free playing 'The Hunter' at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival and PK's tone and vibrato sent shivers down my spine (and still does, in fact).

Here's the audio-only clip for a taster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5plfZAltc

P.

I am really enjoying this thread [thumbup] [thumbup] all these great songs are .. re-inspiring me. I may have to go and lock myself away with a guitar for a few hours and play my heart out.

Another great song that was inspiring to me as a youngster, "Money for Nothing" by "Dire Straights" that opening riff is just brilliant.

Jimmy Rogers plus Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys would be playing on the phonograph. My Dad would have one of his Gibsons or Epi's out playing with them. My mother would join in with her violin and I would listen intently wishing I could learn the licks to "T for Texas" or "Roly Poly" great Western and Country Swing. Soon I was playing also on his guitars. From there to Jazz.

Thanks for the thread[thumbup]

THIS;

IMG_2300.jpg

(My thanks to BratPack7 on the MyLesPaul forum - I did an image search on the web for Les Paul Marshall and that image came up...)

Kinda weird, but I think I was always aware of the guitar. Long before I played it, I was paying attention to it.

Chuck Berry

Once I could buy albums it was Led Zeppelin and KISS that made me want to learn the instrument.

bluegrass bent... Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley

AC/DC albums - you know what I'm sayin?

My story is very similar.

There was always music playing when I was growing up.

BOTH kinds - Country and Western.

I survived the abuse until the mid-seventies when I was ten or so, then my promiscuous older sister saved me.

She always had boyfriends in a steady rotation, they all had cool cars, which all had killer 8-track stereos.

Anytime I could hitch a ride somewhere, or find myself in relative proximity to the cars, I was always reading labels.

Who's in the tape player, who's laying on the console waiting to be played next, who was in the tape case?

Sometimes it was my job to open that case and find BTO, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith...

I remembered every band name, and started asking questions about all of the bands from the heyday of seventies rock.

Realized just how awful so much of the country music was (yet it's miles away better than "today's country"...)

I learned there was a certain sound I liked ALOT, and wondered how it was done.

Kiss grabbed me like everyone else, but so did AC/DC.

Riffs.

I became a riffs guy.

Big, fat, doubled, wall-of-guitars Marshall-produced riffs.

Set me on the journey to someday own the tools of mass eardrum destruction myself.

Set me on a quest to own THIS;

2636925094_e702e393fd_z.jpg

I figured that would pretty much cover everything I ever wanted to play. [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

I survived the abuse until the mid-seventies when I was ten or so, then my promiscuous older sister saved me.

She always had boyfriends in a steady rotation, they all had cool cars, which all had killer 8-track stereos.

Anytime I could hitch a ride somewhere, or find myself in relative proximity to the cars, I was always reading labels.

Who's in the tape player, who's laying on the console waiting to be played next, who was in the tape case?

Sometimes it was my job to open that case and find BTO, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith...

I remembered every band name, and started asking questions about all of the bands from the heyday of seventies rock.

Fortunately for you, your sister was promiscuous AND she must have been relatively attractive....my sister was probably just as promiscuous....she just couldn't land, (pardon the phrase), guys with cool cars!

Thus I am STILL a C&W fan!

Hah!

I'll add that we had no FM rock stations anywhere near us.

At night, we could pull in a couple of far-away AM stations to at least find out what was being played.

If you wanted music on the high plains of western Kansas, you had to BUY it.

Lotsa people in those old mail-order record clubs back then - myself included.

Buy the album, then tape it onto 8-track or cassette for mobile usage.

Get a nice tape deck for the car, some sorta amp, and a set of 6x9 Jensen or Mindblower speakers.

Rock out. [thumbup]

Hah!

I'll add that we had no FM rock stations anywhere near us.

At night, we could pull in a couple of far-away AM stations to at least find out what was being played.If you wanted music on the high plains of western Kansas, you had to BUY it.

Lotsa people in those old mail-order record clubs back then - myself included.

Buy the album, then tape it onto 8-track or cassette for mobile usage.

Get a nice tape deck for the car, some sorta amp, and a set of 6x9 Jensen or Mindblower speakers.

Rock out. [thumbup]

Yeah, for Rock or Rhythm & Blues...WLS (Chicago) and KOMA (Oklahoma City) was about it, at night.

Everything else, seemed to be strictly "Country!" [razz] Or, Mexican...you could get some Mexican stations, too...for some reason.

CB

Archived