Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Co R-1

Kate M

Can anyone help point me in a good direction for history and potential value on this instruments?

I believe it reads "Gibson StyleR-1

#20981"

Any help is appreciated!

Hello Kate and welcome to the forum! The looks to be a Gibson L-1 guitar. I think the "R" on the label is actually a sloppy cursive "L". I think it dates from about 1914. I think that Ebay would be the best way to determine the value but it seems that this guitar is already listed! So I guess we will find out in about 6 days. Good luck with it!

Hello Kate and welcome to the forum! The looks to be a Gibson L-1 guitar. I think the "R" on the label is actually a sloppy cursive "L". I think it dates from about 1914. I think that Ebay would be the best way to determine the value but it seems that this guitar is already listed! So I guess we will find out in about 6 days. Good luck with it!

well damn it sure is on ebay! my cousin does furniture restoration and a client brought this in with a couple other pieces- i told him not to refurnish it. i guess someone else in the loop is trying to sell it already! thanks for the info and for the welcome.

Archived