Gibson Brands Forums

The one Guitar That Binds Us and the ones that Got Away

Andy R

This post is dedicated to the guitar you have most loved and compare all others to. What is or was it? The story of how you got it? What made it special? Where is it now?

I think most players who have played for some time have or had at some point a guitar that they feel a certain affinity to. It's your guitar. You chose it or it chose you but no other guitar feels, sounds or fits you better than that guitar does or has since.

My Guitar:

In 1987 I was 18 years old. I had quit school when I was 16 and started playing in a hair metal cover band that was traveling all over the U.S. Man that was one of the greatest times of my life. 16 yrs old in bars every night and well you know the other perks that go along with it. Given the time period the coolest guitars on earth (to me anyway) were the Jacksons. I loved the pointy Headstocks and the Shark Fin inlays. I thought that Chris Holmes from WASP had the baddest of them all and dreamed of owning one. Of course I was making barely anything and could never afford anything close to that. At the time I was playing a Kramer Stryker guitar with a chandler replacement banana headstock neck. The Stryker was a plywood body POS but it had a cool factor as it was the cheap O guitar that Paul Stanley had broken at one of the concerts in Indianapolis. I knew the guy that got it and I already had the neck from a previous guitar project so I traded him an authentic Gibson Les Paul body and neck (Kicking myself now) that had never been finished. I don't remember where I got it but I had acquired it somehow or another. So I had the cheap Kramer stryker and I think a Washburn with one of those "excellent" wonderbar monstrosities on it.

Sometime in 1987 we ended up playing in Kansas City, Kansas and while we were there one day I ventured to some local music store to get some strings and picks and that is where I found "The One" There it was just hanging on the wall. A pearl white Charvel\Jackson Model 2, single humbucker and a single volume knob. It was hanging along side a few identical ones but for some reason I just grabbed one of them and played it and fell in love with that guitar. I think at the time it was maybe $350.00 or so. I had to have it. It wasn't a "real" Jackson but it was close enough. At the time the Charvels were the epihones of the Jackson guitars. I had a little bit of money begged and borrowed from who I could and had my mom wire me what ever was left that I needed and I bought it the next day. That guitar always just felt right to me. It played great the pick up sounded pretty good and the Jackson floyd trem was pretty decent. The neck was solid as a rock and the fret job was perfect. It was a made in Japan guitar but it was built unbelievably well.

Through the years that was my "main" guitar I had acquired a lot of very cool guitars during the late 80's through the Mid 90's. Tons of different Fernandes guitars of all shapes and sorts (I think I had about 25 of them at one point) A 79 Dean Explorer with the V headstock (ChanMan) A Gibson V, A Burny Randy Rhoades Les Paul Replica, A Jackson Randy Rhoades model, too many to list but I always used that Charvel it was my guitar. Of course I had tweaked and changed it over time. I think I probably tried every pickup under the sun that was available at the time before finally sticking with a black Bill Lawerence L-500. I think the next thing I did was routed it out for a neck pick-up (Pretty much making it a model 3) I can't remember what was in there probably some kind of seymour I'm sure. Next came the Schaller german made floyd rose. I got rid of the behind the nut lock and installed a bolt through locking nut on it. I eventually grew tired of the pearl white finish so I stripped it down and repainted it with black and clear nitro. It took me about a month to paint it and when I was doing the finish buffing I lost my grip when I was buffing between the cutaways and the massive industrial buffer we had slammed it to the ground. [scared]

I picked it up and it had a pretty good size dent and chip in it and after an hour or so of cussing (I buffed 20 guitars a day or more at the time and never lost one) I decided "screw it" and put it back together. It wasn't perfect like I had hoped but it was my guitar all the same. I played that guitar everyday and it was my primary in every band I was in at the time. Unfortunately at some point in 1994 I was living with a crazy stripper and she flipped out one night so I just left. As I was walking out to my car I heard her come up behind me and screaming don't forget your F'n guitar. As I turned it was in mid air and I watched it crash on to the pavement. I saw the neck snap, a big chunk of the body fly off and the Floyd dangling by the strings. I have never been so mad in my life. I just picked up what was left and smashed it back down. Then I took what was left and chucked it in the dumpster. ( not even thinking to save any parts) Needless to say not only was my guitar gone so was she.

Since that time I have had a myriad of different guitars. Strats of all types, a Les Paul Studio, etc... A couple of years ago I saw an 87 Pearl White Charvel model 2 on Ebay and I had to have it. When it finally arrived it literally brought tears to my eyes when I opened the case (those chainsaw cases have a unique smell) It was a beautiful guitar. I played it and it felt pretty nice. I maintain that for that style of guitar they are the best built and you can still pick them up pretty cheap on ebay. I have also since purchased a pearl white Model 3 and an American made San Dimas. They are all nice guitars but they will never replace the original. I have about 15 different guitars currently and I compare every one of them to that 350.00 Japanese guitar. Nothing has taken it's place yet. There's just something missing that I don't think can ever be replaced. The funny thing is now I could afford any Jackson that I wanted but I would prefer to keep buying the Japanese Model 2 or 3 Guitars. Maybe just maybe there's another "one" out there.

Tell me about your "One"

Regards,

Andy

Mine is the one I've got now. Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Guitar of the Week #2 (2007). Plays great sounds great.

I was not in the market for a new guitar because I couldn't really afford it. I was playing a BC Rick entry level Warlock because I had sold my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top years ago. (never really fully appreciated what I had back then).

Anyway, I was watching the Gibson website and checking out their Guitar of the Week program. It was really cool to anticipate every week what new guitar they would come out with. I saw the GOW #2 and fell head over heals in love at first site. It is the Reverse Fireburst finish (see avatar). I thought about it for several months and kept watching the GOW's but never saw another one that peeked my interest. Finally I just broke down one day, clicked on the First Quality Music website, saw one, picked up the phone and placed the order. The salesman e-mailed me several pictures of the actual guitar. I received it via UPS about a week later. Told the whole family, nobody even opens the box until I get home from work. My sons, who also play guitar didn't even know I ordered a Gibson Les Paul. When I got home, the magic began. Haven't looked back since and I will never part with this baby.

I've always wanted a Les Paul Custom black beauty. Something about the black with the gold pick ups lures me in. I have played some, and haven't found the one yet that feels just right. I do have a black Les Paul Classic which doesn't do for me as much visually as the custom, BUT sure feels and sounds right.

My SG Special Faded. It's a great guitar, feels great in my hands (the neck is perfect,) sounds great, and was funded in part by a generous donation from my parents (thanks mom and dad!) so it hold a lot of sentimental value for me. I vowed, when I got it, to never sell it, never trade it, never get rid of it, etc. I may not ever bring it out on a gig (if I ever end up gigging) for fear of having it damaged or stolen--even though that is a little crazy seeing as how it's essentially made for my hands, I'm very protective of it and I really don't want to lose it, ever. Dad plays it, though, which I don't mind a bit, but other folks don't get to touch it. It's at home right now, four hours away by car, and I miss it like crazy!

At the same time, I have GAS for a lot of different instruments. Right now it's for a coupla Deans (I know--lousy reputation, but they put out some good instruments) and a Blacktop Strat. I really want a Floyd Rose on a guitar (I had been doing a fair bit of metal before I left for school, and I feel like I ought to have a Floyd just for the sake of having one,) which is where the ML79 comes in:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p82%2B8x6xL.jpg

Yeah. But I don't need it, or any other guitar, so long as I have my SG. [thumbup]

*sigh* still in the midst of choosing "my" guitar. I dont have many, but they all play so well.

Im just now upgrading one of my guitars, and just got a new one about a month ago. hmm...

but I always remember my very first guitar, which took me many places. [biggrin]

I've always wanted a Les Paul Custom black beauty. Something about the black with the gold pick ups lures me in. I have played some, and haven't found the one yet that feels just right. I do have a black Les Paul Classic which doesn't do for me as much visually as the custom, BUT sure feels and sounds right.

Feel and sound are the most important thing man. The closest thing I currently have to "The One" is my SG 62 Reissue. Same issue with the visual for me but sometimes beauty is more than skin (or wood in this case) deep.

What visually do you not like about the classic compared to the custom? Can you replace the hardware with gold hardware and pick-up covers and get close to the look of the Custom or is it the inlays? Point being if you got something that sounds and feels right make it yours dude! If you wanted to bad enough you could even have somebody do the Custom style headstock overlay. Just my opinion if you feel like you would regret getting rid of it and you have tried the BB' Customs then just use what you have and make it unique to you. I'm sure I will get blasted for this but it's your guitar do with it what you want.

Andy

My SG Special Faded. It's a great guitar, feels great in my hands (the neck is perfect,) sounds great, and was funded in part by a generous donation from my parents (thanks mom and dad!) so it hold a lot of sentimental value for me. I vowed, when I got it, to never sell it, never trade it, never get rid of it, etc. I may not ever bring it out on a gig (if I ever end up gigging) for fear of having it damaged or stolen--even though that is a little crazy seeing as how it's essentially made for my hands, I'm very protective of it and I really don't want to lose it, ever. Dad plays it, though, which I don't mind a bit, but other folks don't get to touch it. It's at home right now, four hours away by car, and I miss it like crazy!

At the same time, I have GAS for a lot of different instruments. Right now it's for a coupla Deans (I know--lousy reputation, but they put out some good instruments) and a Blacktop Strat. I really want a Floyd Rose on a guitar (I had been doing a fair bit of metal before I left for school, and I feel like I ought to have a Floyd just for the sake of having one,) which is where the ML79 comes in:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p82%2B8x6xL.jpg

Yeah. But I don't need it, or any other guitar, so long as I have my SG. [thumbup]

That's cool man. Sentimental can hold some weight on the "one" keep it and you will never have to regret one day that you got rid of it. I think you made another good point about the guitar that really becomes yours. When the guitar becomes the one you would sell everything around you except that guitar. Not for any reason. Hold on to it and you will never regret it.

Actually I used to work for Dean many years ago. I know they were making some real crap when I was working for them as it was mostly korean made Taiwanese stuff. The custom guitars we made for Dimebag Darrell that we did were made by Paul Chandler and I basically tweaked it to his specs. I did have his Dean from Hell ML on my bench more than a few times and I can tell you that that thing was BEAT the headstock had been broken off, the custom paint job was beat to hell. The locking nut had pulled off multiple times. It had been re-fretted poorly. I fixed the locking nut issue and fixed the fret job on it. But it is a great example of that was his "One" he really dug the first replica we built for him and he used it on tour but 90% or more of the show he always used the original....

Anyway haven't sat down and played the newer repro since Dean Z came and went again. They seem to look OK. Play a bunch of them I found that even with the worst of guitars (and believe me I have worked on some real turds) there might be one of 100 that everything turns out just right. Ya just gotta find it.

If you get anything with a floyd make sure it either has an original German made floyd or will take a direct replacement. I have yet to play any floyd licensed or style bridge that stayed in tune and works as well as an original german floyd. Gotta be careful cause they make a Chinese "Original" floyd that is made of inferior metal.

Thanks for the story ,

Andy

Mine is the one I've got now. Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Guitar of the Week #2 (2007). Plays great sounds great.

I was not in the market for a new guitar because I couldn't really afford it. I was playing a BC Rick entry level Warlock because I had sold my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top years ago. (never really fully appreciated what I had back then).

Anyway, I was watching the Gibson website and checking out their Guitar of the Week program. It was really cool to anticipate every week what new guitar they would come out with. I saw the GOW #2 and fell head over heals in love at first site. It is the Reverse Fireburst finish (see avatar). I thought about it for several months and kept watching the GOW's but never saw another one that peeked my interest. Finally I just broke down one day, clicked on the First Quality Music website, saw one, picked up the phone and placed the order. The salesman e-mailed me several pictures of the actual guitar. I received it via UPS about a week later. Told the whole family, nobody even opens the box until I get home from work. My sons, who also play guitar didn't even know I ordered a Gibson Les Paul. When I got home, the magic began. Haven't looked back since and I will never part with this baby.

Very cool Man thanks for the story!

*sigh* still in the midst of choosing "my" guitar. I dont have many, but they all play so well.

Im just now upgrading one of my guitars, and just got a new one about a month ago. hmm...

but I always remember my very first guitar, which took me many places. [biggrin]

I don't think you choose the "one" I think it chooses you! :unsure: Good luck and let us know if it comes to you.

Feel and sound are the most important thing man. The closest thing I currently have to "The One" is my SG 62 Reissue. Same issue with the visual for me but sometimes beauty is more than skin (or wood in this case) deep.

What visually do you not like about the classic compared to the custom? Can you replace the hardware with gold hardware and pick-up covers and get close to the look of the Custom or is it the inlays? Point being if you got something that sounds and feels right make it yours dude! If you wanted to bad enough you could even have somebody do the Custom style headstock overlay. Just my opinion if you feel like you would regret getting rid of it and you have tried the BB' Customs then just use what you have and make it unique to you. I'm sure I will get blasted for this but it's your guitar do with it what you want.

Andy

Well I was going to change the pick guard, and pickup rings to the black ones and install the black speed knobs, but before I make any hasty changes I think I'll just remove the pickguard first. I don't feel that I need to alter much on the axe, but I do want to put a set of strap locks on. I'm fussy when I pick out guitars, and haven't sold one yet. I had a couple of Hamers in the 80's that rocked, but they where stolen......I HATE THIEVES.

My 1989 Fender Strat Plus is still my #1. I bought it for $400 in April 1999. There are a few in my collection that are close but there is something about THAT guitar. I can't explain it. I've had people offer to buy it, trade for it, steal it.....well threats to steal it. One would have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Only death will separate me from that guitar.

Well I was going to change the pick guard, and pickup rings to the black ones and install the black speed knobs, but before I make any hasty changes I think I'll just remove the pickguard first. I don't feel that I need to alter much on the axe, but I do want to put a set of strap locks on. I'm fussy when I pick out guitars, and haven't sold one yet. I had a couple of Hamers in the 80's that rocked, but they where stolen......I HATE THIEVES.

Yeah those old Hamers were nice. Did you have the Police check Rick Nielsen from Cheap Tricks house? I think he bought up every Hamer ever made.

My 1989 Fender Strat Plus is still my #1. I bought it for $400 in April 1999. There are a few in my collection that are close but there is something about THAT guitar. I can't explain it. I've had people offer to buy it, trade for it, steal it.....well threats to steal it. One would have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Only death will separate me from that guitar.

Yeah a friend of mine had one of those. If I ever get around to getting a "real" strat again I would like a basterdized fat strat with the Start plus neck and a non -swimming pool route in the body.... So what makes that one different you think?

Yeah a friend of mine had one of those. If I ever get around to getting a "real" strat again I would like a basterdized fat strat with the Start plus neck and a non -swimming pool route in the body.... So what makes that one different you think?

The neck is super comfortable, all the great features, the look, the sound....

It has the swimming pool routed body but resonates a little better than my 2001 Am Std Strat but it's a different beast. Might be the wood or pups...not sure but I'll end up putting the same pups in my Am Std. I do love that guitar too.

The neck is super comfortable, all the great features, the look, the sound....

It has the swimming pool routed body but resonates a little better than my 2001 Am Std Strat but it's a different beast. Might be the wood or pups...not sure but I'll end up putting the same pups in my Am Std. I do love that guitar too.

Didn't those have the Lace Sensors? Is it a H/S/S or a S/S/S config?

I don't think I've found it yet. I do thoroughly enjoy my LP, but that's to be undergoing some mods in the near future... mwahahaha

Anyways, I am really liking Gretschs, especially the double cutaway duo jet

Gretschs are another guitar that I just never thought I would dig that much so never spent the time to play one. Then much to my surprise my girlfriend bought me a nice black electromatic about 3 years ago for Christmas because she thought it looked cool. I always looked at those Gretsch pickups and thought man those things have gotta sound like Dog Doo for anything but clean stuff. I was totally blown away the first time I plugged it into my Marshall. They are amazingly versatile even for the lower end model like mine. I would like one of these My link

Whatya doin' to yor Paul man. You can tell me I'm not a don't change anything freak!

Spent quite a lot of time (I was in no hurry) trying to find 'my' Les Paul.

Found it.

1995 R0.

Nothing I've ever played has the quality of tone it has. A couple have been close (so I bought them) but when I swap back to the R0..............it's just very special.

P.

My 1978 Black LP Custom.......Until I retired from bands it was my favorite axe. It went through hell. Buckle scratches, falling, knocked over, a fall onto concrete from 12" up, bottles thrown at it, went through a closed window, fell in a stream once, it was shot with a 22 round, etc etc.....always worked, always.......Stolen around 2000.......

My current fave is a LP Traditional Plus, but I don't play it much...My collection is too large to count...I'll rotate from storage every so often a handful of 'em...

So, my current fave changes week by week...Currently a rare Gibby LP and an import archtop chambered goldtop with a PAF and a P-90...

I just finished a 'work for hire' recording gig, and they only wanted my Fenders on it, so I dug them out, it's done now, so back into storage...

I'm saving up for an R9; yup, brand name and model, and that will be my fave until...........

My 'imports' do me well......now I'm building my own from scratch, well, from wood !!!!!! [scared][rolleyes] :unsure: [drool][woot]](*,) B) [thumbup] .......

Yup, I miss my 78 Custom, always......

My 1978 Black LP Custom.......Until I retired from bands it was my favorite axe. It went through hell. Buckle scratches, falling, knocked over, a fall onto concrete from 12" up, bottles thrown at it, went through a closed window, fell in a stream once, it was shot with a 22 round, etc etc.....always worked, always.......Stolen around 2000.......

Wow! At least it had an eventful life with you!

Sorry to hear about the theft, though.

Thieves (well, burglars, actually) played a big, although unwitting, part in my descision to part with my previous #1. I've recounted the tale in part before but it sort of fits in here...

Before I got my R0 I had, from 1980 until 2004, a '64 Strat.

There was a spate of burglaries in our neighbourhood in the early part of 2004. Our neighbours were done three times. We were done once.

After the burglary of our house (just by chance they didn't find the Strat) I decided to get rid of the guitar as losing it through some sort of theft would have been far too painful.

It's the only guitar I've ever sold that I regret parting with.

P.

My current fave is a LP Traditional Plus, but I don't play it much...My collection is too large to count...I'll rotate from storage every so often a handful of 'em...

So, my current fave changes week by week...Currently a rare Gibby LP and an import archtop chambered goldtop with a PAF and a P-90...

I just finished a 'work for hire' recording gig, and they only wanted my Fenders on it, so I dug them out, it's done now, so back into storage...

I'm saving up for an R9; yup, brand name and model, and that will be my fave until...........

My 'imports' do me well......now I'm building my own from scratch, well, from wood !!!!!! [scared][rolleyes] :unsure: [drool][woot]](*,) B) [thumbup] .......

Man Great story dude and I too am sorry to hear that it was stolen although it sounds as if it would be easy to pick out of a line up. Too me all those dings and scrapes, breaks, near misses etc... build that history and repoire with an instrument. Without even playing a note the guitar has a tale to tell. It has absorbed life. That's why I'm not much on buying new stuff. So how did you come across the guitar to begin with. Got any pictures of that beast?

I am also in the same cycle as you are. I have a ton of guitars and each goes through it's little period of time that it is briefly number one but none of them will ever be "The One"

Regards,

Andy

Sighs.... I think we all have "our" guitar or "one that got away" and sometimes "the one" is only the one for a specicific time or place in your life.

I think like most folk on here, over the years I have bought, sold, traded and swapped guitars. Dreamed of guitars I would love to own and some of which i have worked my way up to and finally own (my tele and sg special being amongst those). I wont list all that I have or have had but theres three that are memorable and special to me.

The first is the first guitar I ever owned. When i had just turned 12 i pestered my parents for months on the lead up to Christmas to get me a guitar, and on Christmas morning we opened gifts and there was no guitar in amongst them. I was happy with all that i had received and knew the guitar had to wait for another time, we werent well off financially and my parents had said that they didnt see the point in me getting a guitar because the chances were that i would give it up once the novelty wore off. So yeah Christmas morning and smiles and good times, my step dad asked me to go open the curtains. So i left whatever toy i was playing with and drew the curtains back. There was my most memorable gift ever.. it was classical guitar of no real brand but man, i loved that guitar and its still at my parents house back in Scotland (I emigrated to Canada). a few battle scars but holding up will as it almots hits 24 years. I learned so much on that guitar and the value is sentimental, I could never thank my parents enough for what they gave me.. they thought it was just a guitar. little did they know just what it really meant to me or that it would start a lifetime obsession!!

The second is the guitar I lost and still mourn and some of those who have read my various posts will know whats coming.. Back towards the late 90's i part exchanged a yamaha apx4 for a brand new epiphone del rey, when i bought it I thought it was the most amazing guitar I had ever seen or played.. 24 frets of wonder and pink flamed maple beauty. The salesman told me there were only 300 of them in britain and i didnt pay much attention and the only pink one in Scotland. So i went home with the del rey and loved it for a few years. At that time of my life finance were pretty bad and I had the classical guitar and the del rey but wanted another acoustic.. I did the worst thing possible and to be honest the only time I regret getting rid of a guitar..I traded the del rey against a new acoustic.. which brings me to the guitar thats seen as "mine" by my friends.

So, again I'm back in the music store and played electro acoustics from the cheapest to the most expensive, having decided the del rey was trade in and i could finance if i went for something too expensive or went over budget. So i picked up and played every electro acoutic except one because i didnt like the colour. My buddy says to me, Paul, you tried everything else we've been here hours so what difference does a few minute on that thing matter. So this "blue thing" was a freshman FA300ABL. Mid priced so in budget and i picked it up through gritted teeth and from that first strum i was gobsmacked. I loved the sound from it. the colour was my sticking point, i loved the cutaway and the fact i could plug it in. I ended up taking it and still have it. Its my every day acoustic and I have to say that the colour did indeed grow on me.

So yeah, we all have our guitar stories of loves and loss and i would love to get that old del rey back,like i said, the only guitar i regret getting rid off..

But I don't need it, or any other guitar, so long as I have my SG. [thumbup]

Same here except for me it's two SGs, I loved the Special so much, I had to have a Standard. If something happened where I had to sell all my gear, I'd have to sell a kidney in order to keep my two SGs.

IMG_0018.jpg

Sighs.... I think we all have "our" guitar or "one that got away" and sometimes "the one" is only the one for a specicific time or place in your life.

I think like most folk on here, over the years I have bought, sold, traded and swapped guitars. Dreamed of guitars I would love to own and some of which i have worked my way up to and finally own (my tele and sg special being amongst those). I wont list all that I have or have had but theres three that are memorable and special to me.

The first is the first guitar I ever owned. When i had just turned 12 i pestered my parents for months on the lead up to Christmas to get me a guitar, and on Christmas morning we opened gifts and there was no guitar in amongst them. I was happy with all that i had received and knew the guitar had to wait for another time, we werent well off financially and my parents had said that they didnt see the point in me getting a guitar because the chances were that i would give it up once the novelty wore off. So yeah Christmas morning and smiles and good times, my step dad asked me to go open the curtains. So i left whatever toy i was playing with and drew the curtains back. There was my most memorable gift ever.. it was classical guitar of no real brand but man, i loved that guitar and its still at my parents house back in Scotland (I emigrated to Canada). a few battle scars but holding up will as it almots hits 24 years. I learned so much on that guitar and the value is sentimental, I could never thank my parents enough for what they gave me.. they thought it was just a guitar. little did they know just what it really meant to me or that it would start a lifetime obsession!!

The second is the guitar I lost and still mourn and some of those who have read my various posts will know whats coming.. Back towards the late 90's i part exchanged a yamaha apx4 for a brand new epiphone del rey, when i bought it I thought it was the most amazing guitar I had ever seen or played.. 24 frets of wonder and pink flamed maple beauty. The salesman told me there were only 300 of them in britain and i didnt pay much attention and the only pink one in Scotland. So i went home with the del rey and loved it for a few years. At that time of my life finance were pretty bad and I had the classical guitar and the del rey but wanted another acoustic.. I did the worst thing possible and to be honest the only time I regret getting rid of a guitar..I traded the del rey against a new acoustic.. which brings me to the guitar thats seen as "mine" by my friends.

So, again I'm back in the music store and played electro acoustics from the cheapest to the most expensive, having decided the del rey was trade in and i could finance if i went for something too expensive or went over budget. So i picked up and played every electro acoutic except one because i didnt like the colour. My buddy says to me, Paul, you tried everything else we've been here hours so what difference does a few minute on that thing matter. So this "blue thing" was a freshman FA300ABL. Mid priced so in budget and i picked it up through gritted teeth and from that first strum i was gobsmacked. I loved the sound from it. the colour was my sticking point, i loved the cutaway and the fact i could plug it in. I ended up taking it and still have it. Its my every day acoustic and I have to say that the colour did indeed grow on me.

So yeah, we all have our guitar stories of loves and loss and i would love to get that old del rey back,like i said, the only guitar i regret getting rid off..

Good story. Funny about the Christmas "set-up" as my step dad did the same thing to me but it was a BB Gun. When I was about 11 I wanted a guitar so bad and had told everyone and when Christmas came no guitar... So I returned everything that I could and bought an electric guitar shaped thing made by harmony that was just terrible. I managed to show enough interest that the next year actually did get a guitar it too was a harmony but it was Les Paul shaped and actually was playable.

So it is funny how guitars and relationships with guitars and people are similar. Sometimes you meet someone that may not be what you had in mind physically but as you get to know them you start seeing real beauty. Glad the Blue is growing on ya.

Andy

Archived