Gibson Brands Forums

9th December 2009

Johnt

Its a year tomorrow that Terry lost his battle and we lost a well loved forum member.

He was appreciated by all who knew him and his huge contribution to the humour of this forum is very sadly missed.

I can think of no better way to remember him than to shamelessly copy nodehoppers post on 11/12/2009 ( Thanks Node)

A few posts from our friend:

TWilson --------

" I paid $25,000 for a new Dodge pickup truck and within 5 years the paint (clear coat) started peeling off. Chrystler would do nothing to remedy this. I hope they fold!! The truck looks like it should be in a leper colony. I may have it painted vintage sunburst."

" I have an "On/Off" button on my remote as well as the ability to change channels. They both come in quite handy!"

"At first I thought this post was assinine but then thought perhaps you're just a cunning linguist."

" Johnt- I was thinking you'd make an appearance soon but didn't imagine you'd be so daft after such a short time! Well, have you hit the "Buy It Now" button yet? Get busy mate, you NEED this axe. It will compliment your leopard skin somoking jacket and red fez quite nicely I think. Why get an SJ-300 when you can have this little darlin' for a fraction of the price? Luckily the battery went dead on the person's cordless hand drill before this guitar got any airier! Good luck and Bob's your uncle. "

"Yep! Don't try to play no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll!!"

"And for ksdaddy: A father bursts into his sons room unannounced: " Didn't I tell you you'd go blind if you didn't stop doing that?"

Son: " Hey, dad, I'm over here!""

"My friend. "Ramblin' Rex', who went to high school with Paul Butterfield and played on stage with him and also with Albert Collins, told me what he did. I remember asking him five or ten years ago what he did to get to where he was . He said what Jayla is saying. He told me that you just have to have that as your main interest in life and play and play and play every day. For that reason, I'm not as good as I should be after all the years I've been at it. My gauge is that I've arrived at a point where I can get out my geetar, pop a beer or have a nice glasss of Red, start playing and singing songs that I've really enjoyed for years and think to myself, " Wow, that was great. Think I'll keep doing it til I puke." Or, something like that. So, if you're not satisfied, just keep goin'.!! Oh, I forgot, chicks like guitar players too. Yep, even "old" chicks"

Here's my Gibbys with world reknowned Country Rapper (Crapper) Lucky Rexforde.

Pic1215.jpg

Terry thanks for the memories

Tight lines and Bobs your uncle

John

"My friend. "Ramblin' Rex', who went to high school with Paul Butterfield and played on stage with him and also with Albert Collins, told me what he did. I remember asking him five or ten years ago what he did to get to where he was . He said what Jayla is saying. He told me that you just have to have that as your main interest in life and play and play and play every day. For that reason, I'm not as good as I should be after all the years I've been at it. My gauge is that I've arrived at a point where I can get out my geetar, pop a beer or have a nice glasss of Red, start playing and singing songs that I've really enjoyed for years and think to myself, " Wow, that was great. Think I'll keep doing it til I puke." Or, something like that. So, if you're not satisfied, just keep goin'.!! Oh, I forgot, chicks like guitar players too. Yep, even "old" chicks"

This is wonderful--thanks (from someone who didn't get here in time to enjoy them first-hand) for reposting these.

And It's true, what he says about "even 'old' chicks." (Just sayin'... [rolleyes] )

Truly, *the funniest man in the Gibson Forum*.........he is missed.....

Thanks so much John...I am glad you reposted. Always good to be reminded of someone who made me laugh so many times!

onewilyfool ...I am sure Terry would be glad that you are trying to fill his shoes as *TFMIGF*.

Thanks so much John...I am glad you reposted. Always good to be reminded of someone who made me laugh so many times!

onewilyfool ...I am sure Terry would be glad that you are trying to fill his shoes as *TFMIGF*.

Nah, Terry was unique. I can't even carry his Ukelele case.....lol......he was one of a kind

Nice tribute John. I still have Terry's messages in my email folder, and still have his email address in my address book. I have even sent out messages to him, knowing they'll only bounce back (and they did). I just can't quite delete that stuff yet. [crying] Hard to believe still I guess

Did drop an email to Rich (wildcat69) who was very helpful a year ago.

I thought that those who knew Terry would appreciate sight of Rich's reply

Hi John,

Thanks for the link to the memories--it was touching...and funny. Over the summer we had a memorial for his Corvallis friends since his more formal service was up in Washington where he is buried per his family's wishes. It was sad and much fun. We had a pot luck side dish/dessert with one of Terry's friends, Lyle, hosting and providing barbeque ribs and prime rib. Once we were done eating many of us grabbed the portalbe mike that Lyle set up there and told stories that involved Terry. All of them were stories of compelling comedy or touching remembrances of his sensitive side including some recitations of the few moments when he would discuss his experience in Viet Nam as a medic in a MASH unit. I think there were about 60 or so of us and so I think we listened to over 100 stories or brief vignettes of Terry's life, each one graphically funny or graphically sobering. Anyway, it was great and I think we all felt like we had him there with us as we related these stories--they made him seem like the quietly charismatic character that he was.

I wish you and your forum friends the best and know that all of these stories that we all have are what keep Terry in our thoughts and our hearts.

Best regards,

Rich

I joined too late to know this fine chap, but from the tribute it seems he was certainly a character and will be sorely missed on this forum. It was a very fine tribute and its great to see what a small knity extended family we have on this forum.

Hats off to you John for posting this.

Greatly loved and sadly missed by us all. I can't believe it's a year already.

I can't recall who it is, but one of us has the "I was never much good a chemistry at school, but one of my favourite passtimes is turning alcohol into urine" in their signature. Sorry, whoever you are.

I don't have the post but very soon after I joined he responded to one of my posts with a lovely piece on why Brits have over developed wrist muscles. Without doubt, he was one of a kind.

Bob's your uncle!

I can't recall who it is, but one of us has the "I was never much good a chemistry at school, but one of my favourite passtimes is turning alcohol into urine" in their signature. Sorry, whoever you are.

That would be me. Don't worry about forgetting...I'm a forgettable person.

Anyhow, I haven't been posting much (not playing at all), but I've been lurking.

And, I do miss TWilson's posts, greatly. He truly was "one of a kind".

That would be me. Don't worry about forgetting...I'm a forgettable person.

Anyhow, I haven't been posting much (not playing at all), but I've been lurking.

And, I do miss TWilson's posts, greatly. He truly was "one of a kind".

Sorry about that Gearbasher. It's my age. Good to see you on here and I hope you are well.

Hats off to you John for posting this.

Greatly loved and sadly missed by us all. I can't believe it's a year already.

Peter, I still have on my desk 7 very lewd get well cards. They were part of a lot of 10 I bought with the intention of sending Terry one a week..........

enough said I guess![/i]

I knew the moemnt I read your post that it was Gearbasher and now he has his old logo back he'll be even less forgetable. GB I remember your accident and you are the only other poor SOB I know on the Forum who admitted to owning a Volvo ( NB we have three!!)

Bob's your uncle!

Funny how Terry loved that expression!

I don't have the post but very soon after I joined he responded to one of my posts with a lovely piece on why Brits have over developed wrist muscles. Without doubt, he was one of a kind.

Cant find that post but heres the old fart warbling on on an allied subject in February 2008 ( Shite I was only 26 then LOL)

Johnt said: Also I will wait TWilson's reply to your post as he vies with Methusala for the oldest Gibson plucker in Oregan.

Ha, that's Orygun to you, matie! Methusala sat in front of me in 3rd grade, I used to draw on his shirt and steal his lunch. As for the old hands, I use the occasional Ibuprofen, as Ballcorner suggested, also, if I intertwine the ol' digits and bend them back and hold for 15 or 20 seconds and repeat 3 or 4 times this helps. I also just shake my hands down at my sides and just let them relax and flop around. It's usually only my left hand but my right hand gets a bit crampy also if I'm using a pick. Fingerpicking doesn't seem to bother my right hand. I also use actual tools at work, like those wretched wrenches and hand drills, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, the tools of the devil by Gawd!! Now Johnt could probably tell you why the Brits never get hand pain and, I'm not positive, but I think it has to do with some nasty business having to do with the over use of the carpals starting in adolescence and in the darkness of a locked bedroom! Most limeys I know have HUGE wrists! lol Like the father that walks into his son's room and says, " I told you if you didn't stop doing that, you'd go blind!" Son says, "Hey dad, I'm over here." I'm pretty sure Doc Watson and Jose Feliciano are really British. And that's fair dinkum!! As for braces, a couple braces of Jack Daniels never hurts. ( You started it!)

Ann and the others who missed him ...... you see why we do!

All best to all

John

Bob's your uncle!

Yes, I surely see why you miss him. Heck, I almost do, too! Thanks, one and all for remembering out loud...it's a good thing.

And I've got two uncles named Bob!!

("Bobs're your uncles" doesn't sound near catchy enough, though...)

Fitting tribute to a witty man and contributor to the forum! He always cracked me up.

I have been on and off the with the forum for 3 years. I think I learned of Terry,s passing,when his son,I believe,posted to the forum about how much his Dad enjoyed being on the Gibson Forum and how much it meant to him.

I always new that when I saw a TWilson post or thread, that it would be comical and entertaining.

It's amazing how I get attached to the colorfull cast of characters that make up this forum and like friends, you feel their pain and joys and certainly miss them when they are gone!

He is missed by many...RIP Terry..RIP

Archived