Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Autographs?

Jimmy3711

Okay,

Not to bombard the forum with a bunch of eBay auctions, but I have GAS for a Les Paul Gold Top. I have recently relieved my collection to open space for another.

I found this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170573111438&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems like a good deal, but I do not care about the autographs and I am wondering how easy might it be to remove them?

Thoughts?

What? You don't want the autograph of "the incomparable Yngwie Malmsteen" on your guitar?

I'd be wary of trying to completely remove Sharpie (or Rub-a-Dub or whatever ink was used) from a gold top. You'd likely still have a "ghost" of the autographs left behind, and any additional effort to remove the ghost might start to unevenly remove some of the finish.

Just wait a little longer for an unmarked gold top to show up. I can't imagine there's not a dozen on eBay right now.

Met a guy in line for SRV tickets years ago (we ended up in rows 2 and 4 [woot] ). He had a '60 Stratocaster. Ran into him at the show, he'd met Stevie at an autograph session and had him sign the guitar! A 1960 Strat? [scared]

Sorry, but I wouldn't have even allowed Jimi to sign that one. Okay, maybe if he came back to life for just one show...

Autographs are for pictures, CDs, etc. IMO. Not guitars.

R.I.P. SRV and JH. Imagine the jam sessions!

I think his autograph would destroy any mojo that guitar had. Poor guitar.

Craig

WTF kind of comment is that? I doubt there is anyone on this forum that can approach his skill and experience

People who talk crap about other players are usually useless guitar players themselves anyway [glare]

Go play your poor guitar

I used to teach guitar at House of Guitars back in the early 90s. Had the pleasure of meeting and jamming with him in his clinics there. Nice guy all around. Went backstage at his show in Lackawanna, NY. He bought us dinner after, it was a great memory I'll always treasure

WTF kind of comment is that? I doubt there is anyone on this forum that can approach his skill and experience

People who talk crap about other players are usually useless guitar players themselves anyway [glare]

Go play your poor guitar

I used to teach guitar at House of Guitars back in the early 90s. Had the pleasure of meeting and jamming with him in his clinics there. Nice guy all around. Went backstage at his show in Lackawanna, NY. He bought us dinner after, it was a great memory I'll always treasure

I think he was joking around or could be his only taste. Shouldn't jump a person for that. Each to their own really. Pretty dull world if we all liked the same things ....

I think he was joking around or could be his only taste. Shouldn't jump a person for that. Each to their own really. Pretty dull world if we all liked the same things ....

Fair enough but I see no emoticon indicating a joke

"Shouldn't jump a person for that"

Isan't that what he did with regard to his sarcastic comment about Yngwie?

Not to ruin this wonderful derail but....

When I was an instructor, when one accidentally wrote on the white board with a permanent marker instead of dry erase, we could simply color over the marks with a dry erase marker, then use the standard DE cleaning fluid to completely remove the mark.

My concern with this is that it would/could dull the finish as well.

Only your luthiere knows for sure.... :)

(oh... and one never builds oneself up by tearing down others. it doesn't make one look cool, or adult for that matter.)

You know here I was outside and thinking about this thread so here is my two cents lol

I'd leave the autograph personally, if you ever decide to sell the guitar then there could be a market for that artist's signature. If he dies , well could be a whole lot more valuable down the road.

Not to ruin this wonderful derail but....

When I was an instructor, when one accidentally wrote on the white board with a permanent marker instead of dry erase, we could simply color over the marks with a dry erase marker, then use the standard DE cleaning fluid to completely remove the mark.

My concern with this is that it would/could dull the finish as well.

Only your luthiere knows for sure.... :)

(oh... and one never builds oneself up by tearing down others. it doesn't make one look cool, or adult for that matter.)

+1

Dry Erase markers do remove permanent.

Archived