Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShredAstaire

Do you smoke tobacco?

I think it comes down to the smell more than anything. If you don't smoke Cigarettes smokes stinks. Hell it stinks to me some times. I think that is 95% of issues people have is that they don't want to smell it.

There is certainly some validity to this. In some ways I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. I shall offer an example. I live one house from the Atlantic intracoastal waterway. As a result, we generally have a nice, fresh sea breeze coming our way. However, the house immediately to my east and the house across the street that is also east of me (ie catty corner) are both populated by smokers. Guess what I get to smell when they are on their porches smoking? Makes me want to poop in their eyes. Now I don't think, due to the volume of fresh air that is mixed in, that their smoke is dangerous to me or my family. It just stinks. Why should I have to smell that? Do they want to smell my farts? I sincerely doubt it.

As for the assertion that second hand smoke is not at all dangerous, I say put your money where your mouth is. Would you blow your exhaled smoke into your kid's face every time you exhale? Why not? It's not dangerous, right? Or is it just the smell?

Hey smoke if you wanna smoke...i was just curious about the division. Ain't nobody judging nobody here....well not me anyway. Seems like the smokers are defensive though...

Im 13. and I do NOT smoke. i never will. i don't care how many times people say "Everyone's Doing It". i everyones jumping into a volcano,, would you do it? i wouldnt. my dad used to smoke, but then he started with Electronic Cigs. I am glad i do not smoke. but different things affect people differently. i could take one dose of meth and die, and someone else could do meth for 30 years. ya never know

and smokers arent second class people. Obama smokes. and hes the president. bill gates might smoke, and hes has more money than GOD. i think the worst result is when a girl smokes when shes pregnant. it can have a devastating result on the baby

so all in all, i despise the idea of smoking, but i have nothing against smokers. i just will never smoke. i might drink WHEN IM 21 every now and then, never drunk. thats all!

There is certainly some validity to this. In some ways I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. I shall offer an example. I live one house from the Atlantic intracoastal waterway. As a result, we generally have a nice, fresh sea breeze coming our way. However, the house immediately to my east and the house across the street that is also east of me (ie catty corner) are both populated by smokers. Guess what I get to smell when they are on their porches smoking? Makes me want to poop in their eyes. Now I don't think, due to the volume of fresh air that is mixed in, that their smoke is dangerous to me or my family. It just stinks. Why should I have to smell that? Do they want to smell my farts? I sincerely doubt it.

As for the assertion that second hand smoke is not at all dangerous, I say put your money where your mouth is. Would you blow your exhaled smoke into your kid's face every time you exhale? Why not? It's not dangerous, right? Or is it just the smell?

I agree and I think that smokers can be very rude and inconsiderate. There are many smells I can't stand. Hand lotions heavy perfume and soaps give me a headache. I never said I didn't think there was no danger at all in second hand smoke and even as a smoker I disagree about smoking around kids. But I'm sure there are plenty of older folks here and myself included that were trapped in cars and such with smokers when growing up and still have managed to live long lives. I won't smoke in my own home if there is non smokers to be polite. I was just stating that the guy walking down the street smoking is a minuscule drop in the bucket to all the other pollution's that are floating around. If you're that paranoid then you should be prepared to ride a bike or buy a purely electric or hydrogen vehicle because every time you start that car your doing the same thing and worst.

In closing I will say without question that there is no redeeming qualities about smoking. But I also believe that some of this is exaggerated a bit. I wish cigarettes would never been invented but I also have an issue with some basic personal freedoms on both sides of the fence.

I appreciate your point for sure.

Andy

I was just stating that the guy walking down the street smoking is a minuscule drop in the bucket to all the other pollution's that are floating around.

An excellent point, and I agree. We probably ingest more carcinogens on a daily basis than second-hand smoke inflicts upon us.

I wish cigarettes would never been invented

Like John Lennon, you too curse Sir Walter Raleigh... [biggrin]

I also have an issue with some basic personal freedoms on both sides of the fence.

Yep. And that is my issue too. While I don't want to smell it and really don't want to pay for it via my health-care costs, people in this country have a right to this personal freedom. This creates quite the conundrum for me.

I'm a smoker.

Agreed, smoking bad.

Spend way too much money and it is bad for you.

At this rate I could put about $2,500 a year towards more guitar stuff

Have tried quiting in the past with some success but haven't made much headway lately. I firmly believe that if smokers keep trying to quit, it WILL happen.

Thats my thoughts on the matter.

Dave

I smoked..or tried ONE cigarette in my life..

I have smoked cigars since I was 16. My Dad..my Grandfather..my uncles all smoked cigars. I only smoke good cigars..but about once maybe twice a week now. Generally in my garage..or maybe at a Hot Rod show. My son smokes cigars also.

Neither of us inhales..cause inhaling a cigar is a good way to puke out everything in your body...

PS..I also eat Red Meat..drink beer..and swear..

...cause inhaling a cigar is a good way to puke out everything in your body...

PS..I also eat Red Meat..drink beer..and swear..

Right on, my brother!

Never smoked.

Too young to start.

My daddy is in his 70's and he says he's too young to start. As soon as he's old enough to start, I'll know when I'm old enough to start.

I smoked that golf ball all they way to the green! [flapper]

golf-drive.jpg

LOL but my REAL addiction is music. I play it everyday.

I sometimes even stay up late to get my "high" [biggrin]

My little cigars I inhale. Vanilla cured... I don't care much for the smell of regular cigarettes; love the smell of a vanilla-cured pipe tobacco.

The reason I think smokers tend to be very defensive is from the overt comments about how horrid a bunch of killers they are, often to their faces. I have to admit I have a tendency to dislike that sort of commentary especially when it's from some person whose overabundance of flowery perfume has just about made me ill and had been talking about visiting the doctor for this or that.

Worst of all I dislike the anti-tobacco spending while hard drug curtailment or enforcement efforts are all but ignored - and when kids are told their parents and older relatives are evil because they smoke tobacco - and that the kids should tell off their parents.

I also remember loving the smell of burning leaves in the fall and that's now verboten. So are campfires and fireplaces in many places and I love the smell of wood smoke.

We just got an anti-smoking law passed; it appears it's killing saloons already. I'm guessing as many as about 25 percent of these small business owners and employers will be gone within two years. Smokers aren't going out; if they do, they're not staying in music venues nearly as much. Once they go out in the cold, why not just go home... and they do. Live music is feeling it.

m

Never.

Ever.

I'm the ONLY one in my family who never smoked.

Mom, dad, siblings, extended family, aunts, uncles, everybody.

Only my younger sister dabbled a little but never developed a habit.

The ones still alive have largely quit.

BUT.....

In 2004 there was a ballot initiative in Arizona to ban it in public places - bars, etc.

I voted AGAINST it because of my belief in liberty - remember our Declaration & Constitution?

Nobody hates tobacco worse than I do.

Nasty, disgusting sh!t in every form.

But I would never vote to prevent people from exercising their personal freedom.

You do not have a specific "right" to smoke, but you DO have an expectation of liberty in the USA.

If you're not harming anybody else, knock yourself out.

Anyhow, back on topic -

I rarely invite anyone who smokes to my home, and won't go to theirs.

Won't ride in a car with them either.

But I feel the same way about somebody who has pets in their home - if it stinks, I'm leaving.

(Cat litter boxes - yeah, that stuff you're buying probably ain't working.... ) [crying]=;[thumbdn]

Used to hate playing or watching bands in bars because of the stench - but I never expected them to BAN smoking there.

I exercised my own free will, and left when I'd had enough.

Threw my clothes in the garage and took a shower as soon as I walked in the door.

The only people I EVER discouraged from smoking were a few women I dated (briefly) and my children.

Ignore your rights, and they'll go away....

Used to - then I watched a grandfather turn off a oxygen tank and cover the gaping hole in his throat so he could get enough suction to inhale - watch that for a while and it'll make anybody a ex-smoker.

As to those that say second hand smoke isn't harmful I disagree my wife is very allergic to cigarette smoke her eyes turn bright red and she can't quit sneezing and coughing. Luckily in Arizona it's damn near a felony to light one now so not a issue anymore but somebody always has to try to prove they have the right and they light up three feet outside the door of a restaurant saying it's there right? cool than it should be my right to smack them upside the head for being inconsiderate but most don't seem to see it that way.

I agree it stinks and is offensive to the non smokers which is a huge majority now. I usually defed a persons rights to the bitter end, but not on smoking it bothers to many other people so do it in private like other personal habits we all don't need to watch. People always seem to think they should have the right to smoke but why" 30 people in a restaurant should not be able to enjoy there own dinner because you have a bad habit? well it doesn't work that way. I also don't buy the argument that it shouldn't be regulated unless obesity and diabetes is because thats medically even more harmful - Well that would make more sense as soon as they find the gene that causes smoking.

Anyway... For what it's worth, and I guess I'm really showing my age here, the smell of leather-covered furniture, polished wood, pipe and cigar tobacco is what always has brought images of what a civil adulthood for males was all about.

You got that right, m. I still remember the wonderful smell of cigars when my dad took me to baseball games as a kid. I've quit smoking and pretty much quit drinking, and I really miss having a good cigar and sipping whiskey in my rocker on the back porch in the early evening. One of life's little pleasures. My granddad smoked a pipe, and he was a real southern gentleman and outdoorsman- taught me to hunt and fish. I loved the smell of that pipe.

I remember playing on the same bill as Roy Castle some years ago...a much loved UK variety performer/musician

A lifetime non-smoker who died from lung cancer identified as 'smoking related' ie from passive smoking

This was the first widely publicised case of someone well-known suffering in this way

V

:-({|=

I will say that there is NOTHING BETTER than coming home from a bar and not smelling disgusting. I can pretty much come home smelling the way I left. (Usually pretty good hahaha)

I smoked for about fifteen years. I figured out two things. First, you have to be impolite to smoke when others are around, and after you smoke for years, you become accustomed to being impolite. You stink and you pollute everybody's air and you throw your butts on the ground. Second, when people smoke they make themselves second class citizens. Why? Because they make a statement that they are less intelligent that the average person, that they don't care about their own health and that they have a substantial capacity for denial. When I see a person smoking, I immediately think of them as a second class citizen. Absolutely. I know, because I was a second class citizen myself for fifteen years until I decided I didn't want to be like that anymore.

Wanna get a triple bypass in your fourties? Wanna have your chest cut in half through your breastbone and have your ribs pulled back about 45 degrees. Wanna have them stop your heart, collapse the thing and then graft on some new blood vessels from your aorta down below the blockages. Wanna get about five hundred stitches.

Wanna have nine tubes coming out of you including three 1/2" tubes coming out of your chest, a multi wire snake cut into your jugular vein. Excuse me - ten tubes including the effing breathing tube. Wanna wake up after your surgery and think you're choking to death because you still can't breathe good after quitting smoking for fifteen years? Then they pull the drainage tubes out of your chest after two days and the doctor says "This may be the worst pain you'll ever feel" before he does it. You can't believe how horrible it is to go through that when you're young. It's psychologically debilitating.

If you wanna smoke, go ahead. I need people to die early with me, so I won't feel so stupid for having smoked. [thumbup]

No.

I've never even taken a puff.

I was initially put off as a very small child by the smell from the ashtrays which were scattered around when there were family get-togethers.

Then later, in my early teens, I did a great deal of sport and it was always mentioned that smoking was bad for you if you played sport.

Finally, none of my group of friends smoked so there was never any peer-pressure or a feeling that I had to smoke to 'look big'.

P.

No.

I saw cigarettes wreck a great man so I'll pass. I might try an old timey pipe or a cigar someday just to say I did, but I'll never let it become a habit.