Gibson Brands Forums

Good years bad years????

12BarD

I am sure that this has been covered many times but I really need some help here. It looks like I will finally own a Les Paul by the end of this year. When I mentioned this to one of our local musicians he was kind and said thats great man I know you have always wanted one but remember that not all Pauls are created equal.

The look on my face must have said it all because he then started throwing out good years and bad years and I retained none of it.

From what I have seen price wise, I am not in the market for anything older then the mid 70's and will be more than happy with a "Standard".

If any of you would be kind enough to shed some light on this "good year bad year" thing, I will be greatful

Thank you for your time.

There are no real good or bad years. Gibson produces gems and turds every year.

Go to a music store and play two new Standards, you'll notice slight differences.

You have to look at each guitar individually...play it, hear it & feel it. Don't seek out or exclude specific years.

If the guitar has the traits you're looking for then go for it.

What Tim said and that goes for every guitar company out there; you can line up 10 of any make/model guitar and you'll find that some are good, some stink and some are great. Whatever guitar you decide on, try out a bunch of them and see which one you like best.

And, if I may. One mans junk is another mans treasure......

What you like in action, feel, touch ect., might not work for someone else.

Explains women, too.........

Yes.

Murph is right.............

So true Murph!!! Thank God the woman in this house said...... You can stare at that computer screen all night but those guitars are not going to jump out and be yours, why not just bite the bullet and get what you want???

How I do love my wife and yet I still dont understand her!!!! I guess it helps that she plays piano and loves the blues.

Thanks again to all!!!!

NeoConMan isn't here, so I'll step up for him. I see you live in Arizona. There is a place in Phoenix called Bizarre Guitar. You need to go there and shop. Make a day of it if necessary. They will have an excellent selection of well maintained guitars, with folks who know what they are talking about to assist you. From what I am hearing, it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to shop there.

and Hey! From some one who can relate... having had my wife say something similar... dude! Enjoy the hunt!!

the comment of good years and bad years is usually related to the Norlin years. But as everyone here has said thats kind of misleading on electrics more true on acoustic in my ]experience. you do need to try different ones though and see what is your guitar sound and feel wise. all gibson aren't created equal though so play what you can. You got the right Idea on a standard if you buy used can't go wrong. Studio is a lower cost model without the binding and trim.

good luck

Archived