Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with age & model L-???

PTAFR

Hello,

I have a Gibson arch top (project) whose age I am having trouble nailing down.

The FON is 139 -- 10, the 139 being stamped and the -- 10 written in red pencil. There is no label nor serial number.

The lower about measures 17 inches; the body is 3 1/2 inches deep; the top is carved spruce; back and sides are figured maple.

I will try to attach a photo. Thanks in advance for your help.

What you have there looks to be a 1934 L-10 or L-12 (I can't determined which one from the two pictures posted). Generally speaking the L-10 had nickel plated hardware, and the L-12 had gold plated hardware (and a couple other "minor" differences).

If you can post some more photos body front/back close-up, full guitar front/back, etc.

The L-10 ($150) and L-12 ($175) were models introduced during the early 30's to fill the (price) gap between the L-5 ($275) and L-4 ($100)

What you have there looks to be a 1934 L-10 or L-12 (I can't determined which one from the two pictures posted). Generally speaking the L-10 had nickel plated hardware, and the L-12 had gold plated hardware (and a couple other "minor" differences).

If you can post some more photos body front/back close-up, full guitar front/back, etc.

The L-10 ($150) and L-12 ($175) were models introduced during the early 30's to fill the (price) gap between the L-5 ($275) and L-4 ($100)

Thanks Larry!

I've added a couple more pictures. I'll try to take some better ones when the light is better.

The original hardware was chrome (I still have it, although the tailpiece that was on it when I got it was not original, as it was welded together). I always suspected that it was a L-10.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe what you have is a Gibson Special #7. These were budget guitars discounted to dealers (never appeared in a catalog), and were put together using parts from other guitars. Many times you'll see the fingerboard from one model & the peghead veneer from something completely different. They were 17" archtops with sunburst finish. Only made in 1941. SEE OTHER POST ON THIS PAGE OF SIMILAR #7

Gibson also had a Special #3, which was a black L-30 model & a Special #5, which was a black L-50 - sometimes called "The Black Special". Gibson made the #3 & 5 from 1937-1942. There were only 98 Special #7s made between May & Nov., 1941 - according to Gibson's shipping ledgers. Ledgers do not have any serial #s or FONs for the #7s.

There was one that sold on eBay recently that was very similar to yours, but had a c1932 Gibson L-2 "jester" peghead veneer design & fan-shaped FB inlays. yOURS APPEARS TO HAVE A BANJO STYLE PEGHEAD DESIGN

VERY COOL & UNUSUAL GUITAR THAT ARE UNDER-VALUED IN MY OPINION.

Archived