Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone played the '55 Custom?

canon_mutant

YES I HAVE ONE AND THE FRETLESS WONDER 55 LP CUSTOM IS NOT FOR ROCK OR BLUUES IT WAS LES'S DESIGN FOR THE JAZZ PLAYER HENCE THE LOW FRETS. ASLES AND MARY FORD WERE THE NUNBER 1 JAZZ DUET AT THAT TIME.

IT;S A VERY CLEAN SOUND,,,NO BENDING ON THIS BABY BUT TALK ABOUT CLEAN QUALITY TONE IT HAS IT....BUT IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A SINGLE P-90 CARVED TOP 55 LP CUSTOM FROM THE CUSTOM SHOP BUT THERE IS ONLY THERE BRIDGE PUP KIND OF LIKE A JR BUT WITH A CARVED TOP/

THERE WERE ONLY 30 MADE BEING GIBSON BACKED I WAS LUCKY TO GET ONE.

HOPE THAT HELPS...St James

I own a 54 BB reissue with those pickups and I love the guitar. The alnico pickup adds a wonderful flavour to the tone of the guitar. With both pickups on you can get some very sweet tones by playing with the volume and tone controls. It sounds beautiful clean and great with distortion too. I honestly can't say that I notice any huge difference in feel while playing compared to my other LPs. I mean in terms of the frets. It is a very unique sounding guitar, so you might really want to try one before you buy. You can find guitars with two P-90s to get an idea of what a P-90 Gold Top would sound like, but I don't know of any other guitars offhand with the alnico pickup. I play pretty much all types of music and honestly can't say that the guitar sounds bad with any particular one. I think it does great with classic rock and playing the blues, but tone is very subjective. My jazz playing is limited so others can speak to that better. I like the pickup combo so much I have been thinking in using them in a single coil clone of LP Elegant. Hope that helps some.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived