Gibson Brands Forums

I have my FIRST electric guitar - a Gibson SG Standard!

DB Cooper

Been playing for just over two years (started late @ 45) and have only been playing acoustic until I felt I could play well enough to justify an electric.

Well, that day has come! I spent a lot of time the past several weeks at GC playing around with the SGs in stock. I was initially going to go with a Gibson SG Special Faded, but hanging out here and researching elsewhere, I decided to give the Standard a play. I also checked out the Standard w/coil tap, as well as the '61 Reissue. In the end, the SG Standard won me over.

We are now a happy couple! Just to have something to mess around on, and until I learn more about amps, I purchased a Fender Mustang II 40W for $200.

Now I'm ROCKIN!

~DB

I am a Standard owner also and I play mine through a Fender Blues Jr.

However I'm going to be purchasing a Fender Mustang II also, after Christmas because of what it offers for the cost, I'm excited it gets reviewed really well. I'm hoping to try one out soon.

Congrats on your new guitar, it can be tough starting to learn any new instrument, stick with it and try not to be hard on yourself all the time, remember, you're your own worst enemy when it comes to confidence and the likes.

Cheers!

Congrats and what has already been said about guitar stands place a soft cloth between the guitar and the rubber on any stand you use. Nitro finish and rubber dont react well.

Having said that, great choice of guitar and you should find it easy to get used to as the consensus is generally that electrics are easier to play than acoustics (so many people make the mistake of trying to get thgeir kids started out on guitar by buying a cheap acoustic and then wonder why the kid has a hard time). I know you are not a kid but nonetheless you should find the SG a joy to play and progress on.

Congrats and what has already been said about guitar stands place a soft cloth between the guitar and the rubber on any stand you use. Nitro finish and rubber dont react well.

Having said that, great choice of guitar and you should find it easy to get used to as the consensus is generally that electrics are easier to play than acoustics (so many people make the mistake of trying to get thgeir kids started out on guitar by buying a cheap acoustic and then wonder why the kid has a hard time). I know you are not a kid but nonetheless you should find the SG a joy to play and progress on.

side note on acoustics......I use a multi effects unit that has a "wet wood"(properly hydrated) acoustic simulator, and my SG sounds better through this modeler than 95% of the actual acoustic guitars i've played/heard.

Archived