Gibson Brands Forums

Which do you think is better? Epi elite les paul custom, or gibson les paul?

morecowbell!

I own a beautiful epiphone les paul custom elite, and i must say it is so far the best les paul if not best guitar i have ever played. Tone is amazing, playability is amazing, and quality and finish are flawless. In my opinion, the elites are ten times better than their more popular gibson cousins. Whats your opinion?

depends on what Gibson youre talking about mate

Whoops. Sorry for being a little vague. So far ive only played the standards, traditionals, and studios as well as one 1960 custom shop reissue. So, i cant really speak for the customs, but im sure there great.But, to be more specific i mean better than modern day standards. Im sure an original burst would smoke it tone wise though (duh)

I shopped a long time for my LP. Played every Epi and Gibson I could get my hands on. With one exception, the 2007 Standard I bought beats every Epi I played hands down.

The one lone exception was a demo Epi LP at GC in Nashville. It was strapped and hanging on an end cap you so you'd have something to try out the pedals with. If it had been in better physical shape, it would have come home with me. Smooth as sillk and tone for days.

I have since found an Epi Lucille I like an awful lot, too, so....

I'd say every guitar is unique and should be judged on it's own merit.

Whoops. Sorry for being a little vague. So far ive only played the standards, traditionals, and studios as well as one 1960 custom shop reissue. So, i cant really speak for the customs, but im sure there great.But, to be more specific i mean better than modern day standards. Im sure an original burst would smoke it tone wise though (duh)

well, its like what fred said. its really about your preference. I like both gibbys and epis.

if you like the guitar, its right for you [thumbup]

Retro nailed it: "As long as he's happy."

One reason I talk on occasions about a "Gibson-style neck" is that each individual instrument will have a personality of its own. It's a creature made of living materials combined with man-crafted materials whether it's electric, acoustic or a combination.

I think the fact that the woods themselves play such an important role in each individual guitar - or fiddle or cello - means that each is definitely an individual.

Yeah, I can see a given Epi feeling and playing more "special" for a given player compared to an equivalent Gibson.

On the other hand, much as I think Epis are some of the best guitar values around, I'll wager that in general, given a number of choices of a "type" of guitar, the Gibson will some out feeling "right" and sounding "right" for more guitarists than the Epi.

That's no insult, believe me, to either Gibson or Epi. Frankly I've wondered quite often about quality of available woods for guitars today compared to 50 years ago, and what's different about the woods used for the Epi and Gibson equivalents.

Somebody else wrote on here something to the effect that the higher end Epi is a very good workman's instrument and a Gibson is a work of art. I think there's a great deal of truth to that. Even so, within the parameters of their own construction specs, both are exceptional for making music, IMHO. Some simply will fit given individuals better.

m

Oops... Neo's posts are gone!

That's magic!

It would appear this thread is set aside for humor only, and G-Rated at that.

No facts, adult observations, or anything near the truth allowed.

I'll try to stay within the strictures laid down by Duane from this point forward.

In my opinion, it's only YOUR opinion that matters in a public forum where you asked Gibson owners for opinions.

If it makes YOU happy, then I'm just pleased as punch!!! [thumbup]

1518795_f520.jpg

guitar.jpg

Better now? [blink]

Now he did say the Epi was their Elitist model and that is what makes the difference.

When I was searching for an ES-335 I played every Gibson 335 I could get my hands on. Then someone suggested just trying the Epiphone Elitist Dot and I sort of chuckled. I had already played a few Epi Dots just for fun in my search. But the Elitist series is a completely different animal.

I played the Epi elitist dot and that is what I ended up buying. Why? Not because it was cheaper or better value but because it played and sounded better. The fit and finish is flawless. I believe the QC coming out of that shop in Japan was probably better than the mass produced gibson factory. My guess they probably compare more with the custom shop line.

I would place this epi along side any other 335 style guitar any day for fit, finish, sound, and playability. It's that good.

Too bad they stopped making them.

Having said all of that........ I believe that what the OP claimed could very well be true; the Epi Elitist LP may play and sound as good or better than many Gibson LP's.

Simple! msp_biggrin.gif it depends on the individual guitar. Guitars (thank god - for that is their charm) are not like the T1000 models on the terminator production line LOL. They vary model to model. That is why it is possible to get a better sounding very cheap guitar to an expensive one. In my opinion you pay for consistency in manufacturing with a more expensive model, which is one of the reasons a Gibson is more money to purchase in my opinion.

Having said all that, I have never played an under par Epiphone Elitist. Finely made guitars indeed

I have played a few under par Gibsons though....

Oops... Neo's posts are gone!

That's magic!

I am a moderator at ultimaterhoads, so I understand the need to keep nasty people at bay with 'modding' etc (you get people signing in under bogus names trouble making etc), BUT of our regular members (like Neo here), in over seven years, I think less than five posts have been deleted... and even then, they get a private message saying "no hard feelings but we had to take it down because..." sorry etc etc. Food for thought msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Simple! msp_biggrin.gif it depends on the individual guitar. Guitars (thank god - for that is their charm) are not like the T1000 models on the terminator production line LOL. They vary model to model. That is why it is possible to get a better sounding very cheap guitar to an expensive one. In my opinion you pay for consistency in manufacturing with a more expensive model, which is one of the reasons a Gibson is more money to purchase in my opinion.

Having said all that, I have never played an under par Epiphone Elitist. Finely made guitars indeed

I have played a few under par Gibsons though....

I am a moderator at ultimaterhoads, so I understand the need to keep nasty people at bay with 'modding' etc (you get people signing in under bogus names trouble making etc), BUT of our regular members (like Neo here), in over seven years, I think less than five posts have been deleted... and even then, they get a private message saying "no hard feelings but we had to take it down because..." sorry etc etc. Food for thought msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

This does sum it up well....These comparison threads don't make much sense as there is no way to answer without the thread going south.....

I'm a moderator elsewhere as well, as are other forum members on here.....But I have never seen a bad Neo post, ever.........

I have one each, Gibson And Epiphone.

Guess which one I play more, The epi GT 56 ri.

Sounds better than my Gib LPJ plays nicer.

The epi is Korean made 90's

The Lpj is US made 2001

both great guitars.

I am sure thought once I get my hands on a 60RI special single cut from the custom shop,

that my story will indeed change.

Archived