Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo

david r

Mr J.

I have been around acoustic and electric instruments since my late teens, especially guitar with some banjo thrown in. I'm no virtuoso by any means but my all time favorite instrument so far is a Gibson Les Paul "Blonde" guitar. Two weeks ago I put a down payment on a Gibson ESS Banjo via Janet Davis Music Company and eagerly wait for it's arrival.

Please consider a Banjo Thread on the Gibson Forum website and maybe more threads. Consider an Acoustic thread and an Electric thread with a breakdown in each for different instruments.

I think that the current Gibson Forum website does not promote individual considerations. Folks browsing the internet are probably not comfortable with posting on the Gibson "Lounge" when wanting to make a comment about a particular instrument that is probaley theres. Does this make sense?

David Robinson

Southern Maryland

robinsondd@yahoo.com

GSbass....

You should get some new strings on the Gibson banjo - it's a treasure.

Tuned to an open "G," there are a number of ways to play it that aren't all that hard, not even counting "Scruggs picking."

m

It always suprises me when newcomers ask questions which are better asked on nearby forums...Gibson has done a fine job showing where the other forums are....

Although, we ALL would agree that in order to get a question answered with flair, details, humor, political correctness, more questions, and great resolutions, the lounge is he place...[thumbup]

Damian...

Yupper... The Gibson forum has the entire family of corporate musical instruments and equipment represented. Sometimes I think we all should dive into stuff that's a bit beyond our normal instrument and style, too...

m

Damian...

Yupper... The Gibson forum has the entire family of corporate musical instruments and equipment represented. Sometimes I think we all should dive into stuff that's a bit beyond our normal instrument and style, too...

m

I am spending more of my available time on the other forums here, and it is remarkable what is to be found..........The forum which seems a bit dry is the recording forum....

The Epi forum is really well maintained, and the members very nice and knowledgable.....

"A gentleman is a man who knows how to play a banjo ... and doesn't"

-Mark Twain

He had some pretty good zingers about banjos and the people who play them.

Must be why I know how and don't.......( except when recording ).

I'm also related to the guy...

I bought a Deering "Goodtime" maple neck a few months ago and can play it some now. American made.

People who make banjo jokes never heard Bela Fleck or the Punch Brothers. I love the sound of a jazzy banjo.

Welcome to the Forums. Anything goes in the Lounge, feel free to talk banjos all you want but you will get more response in the acoustic section.

And none other than actor/comedian Steve Martin is one hell of a 5 string player. Check out his stuff.

I started to pick up a 5 string decades ago, and swear that I'll get back to it in the future. It's just plain fun. Not to mention, you can learn some guitar stuff as well. Lindsay Buckingham uses a lot of banjo rolls in his finger style playing.

Welcome to the forum, I started-out playing a serial #443 Bacon 5 string banjo with an internal tone ring from the early 1900's about 2 1/2 decades ago. It was a lot of fun, but after mastering the banjo, I switched to the electric bass. :---)

I wish the Gibson banjo and bass forums had more activity...

Archived