Gibson Brands Forums

Show Your Les Paul Axcess Standard Mods!

quilttop1

Good Morning All,

I just got my Les Paul Axcess back from Whitsett Guitar Works in Lowell, MA. In addition to a setup, they also replaced the original tulip-style tuning pegs with Grover locking "kidney bean" machines (I know the locking tuners are a moot point with the Floyd nut, but they were offering these at a great price I couldn't pass up). With this change, I've now completed the following mods to this guitar:

- Replaced the original bridge 'bucker with a Nickel covered '57 Classic Plus.

- Added a Floyd Upgrades Tremolo Stopper.

- Added an EVH D-Tuna.

- Replaced the original strap buttons which Schaller Locking buttons.

- Tuning machine changeout described above.

The guitar played great when I bought it, and is now a finely tuned hot rod I can't put down!

Anyone else made changes to their Axcess? NOTE: I bought mine before Gibson switched the pickup set to a 496R/498T combo. If you've purchased yours with those pickups, how does it sound? I still have the sweet sounding original neck pickup in mine (the coil tap sounds fat and quacky), but the original bridge pickup seemed to lack oomph...thus the '57 Classic Plus install...

Let's see everyone else's Axcess!

post-3253-088895000 1292070584_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning All,

I just got my Les Paul Axcess back from Whitsett Guitar Works in Lowell, MA. In addition to a setup, they also replaced the original tulip-style tuning pegs with Grover locking "kidney bean" machines (I know the locking tuners are a moot point with the Floyd nut, but they were offering these at a great price I couldn't pass up). With this change, I've now completed the following mods to this guitar:

- Replaced the original bridge 'bucker with a Nickel covered '57 Classic Plus.

- Added a Floyd Upgrades Tremolo Stopper.

- Added an EVH D-Tuna.

- Replaced the original strap buttons which Schaller Locking buttons.

- Tuning machine changeout described above.

The guitar played great when I bought it, and is now a finely tuned hot rod I can't put down!

Anyone else made changes to their Axcess? NOTE: I bought mine before Gibson switched the pickup set to a 496R/498T combo. If you've purchased yours with those pickups, how does it sound? I still have the sweet sounding original neck pickup in mine (the coil tap sounds fat and quacky), but the original bridge pickup seemed to lack oomph...thus the '57 Classic Plus install...

Let's see everyone else's Axcess!

post-3253-088895000 1292070584_thumb.jpg

Speaking of "mods", does anyone here know how many Axcess guitars were built with the "LP Custom" headstock, and in what finishes? Since Gibson didn't ever advertise the "Les Paul Axcess Custom", I assume these were just Custom Shop one-offs?

• 1 month later...

I bought mine before they switched too the 496R/498T combo... I didn't like either pickup, especially the bridge which wasn't even floyd spaced and I felt it lacked sustain SO

I've completed the following mods to mine:

-Replaced both pickups with Seymour Duncan ProShop Full Shred SH-10n and TB-10b

-Added BIG BLOCK from Floyd Rose Upgrades

-Added stopper from Floyd Rose Upgrades

-Replaced volume pots with RS Guitarworks SuperPots

It is a monster tone machine now and I couldn't be happier.

• 1 month later...

I just got my LP Axcess and I thought it came with the 496R/498T, but now I'm not sure.

In any case, I now recognize the LP growl, which I didn't get from my first LP, so I think it's awesome. The sustain is unbelievable.

Archived