Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Christmas spirit or Abuse of Technology?

Guest WiseAxe

Guest WiseAxe

I imagine this was done just for fun, but if you were to go the trouble to patch all this together, it may have been

easier just to drag out a couple of 'real' instruments. Watch for the classical 'guitar'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9XNfWNooz4

I don't think luthiers have any job-security issues to worry about, but with one battery-powered boom box, and a pocket full of

cables & iphones, a jam around a winter's bonfire could be a no guitar-crackin' worries kind-of-thing!

It's been done thousands of times on electronic keyboards.

No big deal that's they done it on touch pad keyboards.

Agreed...and it's done w/ effects pedals and looping devices all the time, too.

It's a testament to the wiring for music of the human brain, though. Whether via animal hides and hollowed-out branches or ipads and fancy amplification, humans just gotta "do" music.

Getting a bit off-topic perhaps, but I read recently that brain imagery experiements show that, in response to music stimulus, the human brain behaves in exactly the same way, regardless of whether the subjec is playing music, hearing music, or even just thinking of music.. This is noteworthy (or so I've read) because no other stimulus--including the other big 'uns--sex and drugs (and chocolate)--even comes close to doing this.

So, for your brain's sake, it's prolly good to refrain from doing too much of this: ](*,) .

Just someone looking for attention by hopping on the bandwagon of whatever is the most recent technology. Same thing happened in the 80s when synths became ubiquitous, and the 90s when sampling became easy.

Always someone looking for attention. It's easier to do something like this than learn to play well.

This lacks the shock and awe you get when seeing someone truly talented coerce an instrument into sounding beautiful. Why watch someone preform when the amount of talent behind what they are doing is so diminished? Not to say they didn't put any work into it at all but I really doubt they put the 10'000+ hours into it master musicians do.

Abuse? no,

It is an interesting use of technology, but will never replace the nuance, color and individuality a musician brings to his instrument.

Since these iPads are planed one handed, I doubt this set up allows the 'players' the ability to bend a note or vary volume.

Cute, but give me reality.

Archived