Gibson Brands Forums

Customer relationships

neilpanda

At my local music store (Long & McQuade) its like a close neighborhood. the customers help each other out and what not.

through the years Ive grown a good "bond" with the employees (seeing as Ive gone there every weekend for 2 years now [flapper])

so I help out a little. you know, moving merchandise around the store, helping people choose guitars, etc. (but I only help out

when they need it. I usually leave most of the work to the employees seing as I dont work there.) why I do this you may ask?

well, my buddy taught me that the newer players/musicians are the life of music. theyre the ones growing it. we want them to

keep playing music right? and my buddy also told me that if you dont take care of them, somebody in another activity will.

I dunno...do you guys do this? this is just me. I love helping out the new guys. its my small contribution to music.

what do you guys think?

Honestly, I'm a horrible person. I don't help anyone with anything unless theres something in it for me. However I have good reason for this. I hate helping people because usually they're just losers. They don't say thank you for anything and sometimes they look like they're about to call the cops on you because apparently helping someone is really creepy. dry.gif

Honestly, I'm a horrible person. I don't help anyone with anything unless theres something in it for me. However I have good reason for this. I hate helping people because usually they're just losers. They don't say thank you for anything and sometimes they look like they're about to call the cops on you because apparently helping someone is really creepy. dry.gif

Yeah I had that same problem when i was "Just trying to help out" at the Victoria's Secrets store on the weekends,msp_tongue.gif

Kinda sucks when you try to help someone out and all they do is b!tch at you :(

I guess there are some folks that, if they don't b1tch about something, they'll just bust.

[thumbup]

I help everyone, every chance I get.

Just my nature.

Same here.

Leave the world a bit better than you found it.

Sometimes that means being truthful, and people don't like it... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'm a horrible person. I don't help anyone with anything unless theres something in it for me.

Age is a big part of that.

LOL Ive learned...if people b!tch about be helping I become a total @$$ and start freaking out.

they get pretty scared. I once pssed off a guy so much he got kicked out of the store. [lol] [lol] [lol]

well...it was at a small tom lee way out in the middle of no where...so its ok if they banned me [flapper]

I've had some folks as me some questions about bass amps when I'm in my local GAS shop. I don't mind telling it's my opinion, then i mention you should talk to whoever is there at that time that won't steer them wrong.

Anytime I'm at Guitar Center (we have FOUR in Phoenix) I try to help people as much as possible.

If I see someone considering an expensive (American) guitar I ask them if they have been anywhere else.

Especially if it's parents buying for a kid.

The answer is usually negative, so I advise them to visit a couple very good independent dealers before spending.

I have received profuse thanks from a few of those people when I encountered them later.

The other dealers told me they made some great sales - and heard yet more Guitar Center horror stories.

I try to be of help when I'm in some store where they know me or when I'm anywhere (don't matter if I'm buying a new fridge and the guy next to me is too and doesn't have a clue about what to get) as employees here often don't have any idea of what they are selling.

Sadly, living in a 3rd world country with lots of idiots, most of the time it means the guy you are trying to help will react in a negative way and tell you he doesn't need any help and he knows everything about everything. I get this even on my store, sometimes the guy that shows and tests equipment just doesn't know about something and when I come in to explain some customers act like they know everything, that's when I feel like kicking them out and telling them if they know everything why they inquired to begin with. [cursing]

I am older and when I have been in the store trying out a guitar or amp, I have been asked questions about gear. When asked I will give my opinion but I always steer the person to one of the salesman that I deal with on a regular basis. They do work on commission and this gives them a chance to build a relationship with a potential new customer. Any sales person who wants to make a living in sales would be smart to treat everyone as though they are special customers. Young people whose parents purchase gear for them now will be buying their own gear in the future. Treat them right and they will seek you out when they make purchases. I try buy my gear locally. I know I pay a little more but I feel if I don't support my local economy they will close up shop and I won't have a choice where to make my purchases.

Kenny V

I am older and when I have been in the store trying out a guitar or amp, I have been asked questions about gear. When asked I will give my opinion but I always steer the person to one of the salesman that I deal with on a regular basis. They do work on commission and this gives them a chance to build a relationship with a potential new customer. Any sales person who wants to make a living in sales would be smart to treat everyone as though they are special customers. Young people whose parents purchase gear for them now will be buying their own gear in the future. Treat them right and they will seek you out when they make purchases. I try buy my gear locally. I know I pay a little more but I feel if I don't support my local economy they will close up shop and I won't have a choice where to make my purchases.

Kenny V

Well said Kenny

Knowledge and experience are precious commodities

The shop salesman can realise our dreams

IMX retail professionalism is at an all-time high

Just a bit sad to see so many honest dealers out of business because of the internet and large group purchasing power

V

:-({|=

I am lucky to have access to a quite a few music stores in the greater Cleveland area. I have a tendency to use the ones closest to my house, but have traveled 45 to 60 minutes to other small music stores to look at and and purchase gear from them. To me, the small independent stores are great to deal with. I have purchased gear from both Sam Ash and Guitar Center too. I have found the sales people at Sam Ash do not use high pressure sales tactics like some of the folks at GC do. High pressure has never and will never work on me. I have walked away from decent deals and purchased the gear somewhere else because of high pressure tactics. For most of us, buying gear is a luxury and is used for our own enjoyment. I have become friends with some of the Sam Ash and GC employees. I get phone calls from Sam Ash when they get something in that they think I may be interested in, which falls back on being a good sales person. I have always felt comfortable at my local Sam Ash store even when I only stop by to say hello or just to try out a new guitar or amp.

Kenny V

Archived