Gibson Brands Forums

2 Speaker Cab

Sniper1

I have a Epiphone Valve Junior3 head,I also have a dead Peavey Classic Chorus 212.

The Peavey speakers are 12"Scorpions(8 ohm ea,) and are in excellent working condition.

I am going to remove the guts in the Peavey cabinet but keep the Scorpions in place.

Is there a way to connect these speakers to the Epiphone head?If so,what would I need for

the connection?By the way on the back of the head are 3 jacks-4-8-16 OHMs.

I have a Epiphone Valve Junior3 head,I also have a dead Peavey Classic Chorus 212.

The Peavey speakers are 12"Scorpions(8 ohm ea,) and are in excellent working condition.

I am going to remove the guts in the Peavey cabinet but keep the Scorpions in place.

Is there a way to connect these speakers to the Epiphone head?If so,what would I need for

the connection?By the way on the back of the head are 3 jacks-4-8-16 OHMs.

If the Peavey has the OT connected directly to the speakers, you will have to disconnect that and install a speaker jack on the Peavey. Does the Peavey have any kind of speaker extension jack on it now..? If it does, you can disconnect that, and solder the speakers directly to the extension jack. Then you would just connect your head to the x-jack of the Peavey with a SPEAKER cable.

Your impedance will depend on how the speakers are wired. If they are in series, they will be 16 ohms. If they are wired in parallel, the impedance will be 4 ohms.

Does this make sense to you..?

This is a MATH question, are you ready for the quiz? The output impedance of the amp MUST match the speaker cabinet (contrary to what some idiots will tell you on this website). You want to look up and research "Ohm's Law". Knowledge of this mathematical formula will tell you ALL you need to know.

If the Peavey has the OT connected directly to the speakers, you will have to disconnect that and install a speaker jack on the Peavey. Does the Peavey have any kind of speaker extension jack on it now..? If it does, you can disconnect that, and solder the speakers directly to the extension jack. Then you would just connect your head to the x-jack of the Peavey with a SPEAKER cable.

Your impedance will depend on how the speakers are wired. If they are in series, they will be 16 ohms. If they are wired in parallel, the impedance will be 4 ohms.

Does this make sense to you..?

Makes sense to me,I'm going to wire the speakers in parallel with the impedance @4 ohms.As stated before the chassis will be completely removed from the cabinet leaving

the cabinet with only the 2 speakers and a 1/4 jack.Why waste a good cabinet with the speakers already installed?Again,1 cabinet,2 speakers and 1 jack,everything else is gone.

Makes sense to me,I'm going to wire the speakers in parallel with the impedance @4 ohms.As stated before the chassis will be completely removed from the cabinet leaving

the cabinet with only the 2 speakers and a 1/4 jack.Why waste a good cabinet with the speakers already installed?Again,1 cabinet,2 speakers and 1 jack,everything else is gone.

Sounds good to me. Someday you may need a cab for a combo, or you might just use that cab for speakers for the rest of its days.

Good Idea

Well Done

This is a MATH question, are you ready for the quiz? The output impedance of the amp MUST match the speaker cabinet (contrary to what some idiots will tell you on this website). You want to look up and research "Ohm's Law". Knowledge of this mathematical formula will tell you ALL you need to know.

I have to disagree with this a bit. Many amps will quite easily tolerate 100% mismatches, and some might actually even prefer it. It's something that requires a scope and signal generator to be absolutely certain of, but there's really no hard fast rule that mandates never, ever straying from manufacturer recommendations. If that were the case, we'd have to assume that every amp every made was made to utter perfection, and we all know that's not the case. Oftentimes, in fact, engineers make some rather boneheaded blunders in designing amps. I can think of many, many amps that were very poorly designed, yet widely sold. There's no particular reason to assume that part of the design failures along the way couldn't be impedance recommendations. After all, how many amps really come off the line biased properly?

Btw, did you REALLY just call me an "idiot," because I happen to disagree with you? I have to say that I find that a tad offensive, and more than a tad uncalled for. You have a right to your opinion, even though it appears to be based in some level of ignorance. You do NOT have a right to call someone an "idiot," simply because you don't happen to be armed with the proper knowledge to agree with that person. Capice?

As to the author's thread subject, fuse called it...wire them in parallel, install a good switchcraft jack, use good quality speaker wire, make your connections rock solid, and you'll never have to think twice about your 4 ohm extension cab.

To mtheory

"As to the author's thread subject, fuse called it...wire them in parallel, install a good switchcraft jack, use good quality speaker wire, make your connections rock solid, and you'll never have to think twice about your 4 ohm extension cab".Just finished gutting a dead Peavey Classic Chorus 212,kept the SP Scorpions

in the cabinet,wired the 8ohm speakers parallel,connected my Epiphone Junior head(with JJ tubes)all I can say is WOW!,sounds great with a American Tele.

Lets watch the "name calling" guys. Nobody here is an Idiot. Players have run mismatched Tweed and Black Face Fenders for years. It all depends on how robust the transformer is. If you want a REAL shocker, browse the Mesa website and see what Mr. Smith thinks you can get away with where his Out Tranny's are concerned. My experience has been that most all OT's will take a mismatch of double or half the ideal load. I would say that it is just good practice to match the Z Out whenever possible.

Glad you like your new 2 x 12 set up. It is fun/educational to build your own stuff. Doing it with available parts, like Sniper1 did, is the epitome of creative invention. I dig it when I see a guy at a gig with good tone, and one-off gear that he made himself. That creativity often blends over into the music as well.

Merry Christmas Everybody

• 1 month later...

Using the 16ohm outlet of the EVJh uses the full secondary winding. This usually sounds best.

Re-build the PV combo as a 2x12 cab with the two 8ohm speakers wired in series (and in phase!). Add a heavy duty jack socket.

Connect EVJh using a standard speaker cable /not/ a guitar lead!

Some amps do indeed tolerate a 100% mis-match, notably old Fenders. This is not a Fender but a cheap and nasty EVJ, the OT is rather small. Running a big down-size mis-match on this one is something I'd rather not do, the OT gets hot enough already: I run a 3ohm 8-in Elac on the 4ohm outlet of my modded EVJh combo (the head is in the box).

Archived