Gibson Brands Forums

Taking a guitar as carry on, has anyone done this

Zonkers

I'll be flying out to my parents house on Saturday, and will have many hours of downtime while I'm out there. I was thinking of taking a tele apart and fitting it into a carry-on bag, has anyone here done that? My biggest concerns are the bolts and the strings.

Worst case scenario is I ship it. I just would prefer not to ship something at this time of year. Especially a guitar.

I do not have, nor am I willing to buy a TSA approved guitar case.

Checkout a thread titled A LITTLE HELP OVER HERE from around Dec 5th.....It has some good info and a picture of a wonderful UPS gal...[thumbup]

TSA is a disaster...I'm assuming that you aren't checking luggage due to no need and/or fees...The bolts should be OK but they might consider the strings as weapons...Just a thought......

I've actually taken guitars (acoustics and electrics) on flights several times as carry-on baggage, and I never had a problem. Sometimes they fit in the overhead compartment, but if that's too small, there are closets at the front and back of the plane where they always fit. You just have to ask a stewardess.

One thing, though. You may want to ask what the policy of your airline is. Not all are the same...

Good luck!

I havent done so but had two of my guitars shipped from Scotland when I emigrated. I waited 4 months to receive them and it drove me nuts.. admitidly i bought several others while i waited..lol

The travelling with guitars is something that worried me. I heard stories of loss damage and country singers writing songs about crap airlines and their attitudes to guitar loss and damage. That is why I took the much slower and expensive route of shipping but at least i knew they would arrive safe.

Best bet is call the air line and check their polict on guitars and hand luggage etc. failing that its a good excuse to spend your christmas bonus on a guitar when you get to your destination. good luck and let us know how it works out

I have this worry every time i travel. Usually I have been allowed to carry my guitar as hand luggage as I travel VERY light (10 days holiday = 2 pairs of trousers, 1 light jacket, 10 socks, 10 pants and some bathroom stuff - I thought I would share thatmsp_laugh.gif)

I have also had times where we have phoned and they have said it is fine to bring it on board then at the last minute it has had to go in the holding section of the airplane.

Anyway i know this is a little off topic to the original question but I have found this case by hiscox. It is expensive (c.$500 to americans) c £200 for us, but it is so strong it can take up to 500 kgs of pressure before it cracks.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Hiscox-LiteFlite---Artist-GAD~ID~7413.asp

It isn't a 'looker' but read the specs. It looks like it is very strong. I am playing in Spain in February and want to take my favourite guitar so I think this is going to have to be a must.

Matt

AND, print out a copy of the airline's policies and keep it with you.....And copies of TSA'a policies as TSA doesn't know it's T from it's A..........or it's S for that matter.....

I've never heard of a Tele being used to hijak a plane, nor a small bottle of shampoo, but, cover your self with info and written info before you fly...

AND, print out a copy of the airline's policies and keep it with you.....And copies of TSA'a policies as TSA doesn't know it's T from it's A..........or it's S for that matter.....

I've never heard of a Tele being used to hijak a plane, nor a small bottle of shampoo, but, cover your self with info and written info before you fly...

cheers for that advice msp_thumbup.gif

Mind you, maybe if you carried a portable amp and turned the treble up full you could twang that tele and the cabin crew into a state of mercy as they cowered from the high pitched twang!

Matt

Carry it on with you... As long as the guitar case isn't overly large the guitar will fit in most overhead compartments and if it doesn't ask them to stick it in one of the business class closets.... I have traveled a lot with guitar and have never had a problem. Well there was one time I was on a little aircraft and there was no overhead so the made me put it with the luggage. The guitar case was damaged but not the guitar.

cheers for that advice msp_thumbup.gif

Mind you, maybe if you carried a portable amp and turned the treble up full you could twang that tele and the cabin crew into a state of mercy as they cowered from the high pitched twang!

Matt

[thumbup][scared][lol] [lol] [lol][woot][thumbup] " Please turn off all cell phones and Teles during take off and landing please."

Be advised that a 'bolt on' neck is usually screwed on with wood screws. The threads of the screws bite into the wood of the neck. Repeated dis-assembly and re-assembly, will weaken this joint as the wood becomes shredded.

Why not just take it as carry-on in a guitar case?

What the devil is a TSA approved guitar case? The TSA should have no say as to what a guitar case is or should be, other than openable and inspectable. It's the Air carrier you have to check with. Find out what your air carrier's rules are for carrying on a guitar. Precious few won't allow a cased guitar as a carry-on. You do have to follow the Air Carrier's rules, not the TSA's.

The only time a TSA might have a problem is if some tool or part of the guitar can remotely be viewed as a weapon. And, btw, a loose guitar neck might just fit this description.

I talked to some semi-catatonic customer service agent at Amer. Airlines, and they said as long as it fits in the overhead it's good. Here's hopin' [-o<

Still,

Find their policy on their website (might take some searching, but it's there), print it out and keep on your person through out your travel. CS agents are notorious for being ill informed about policies.

This fall, I flew on an A330 and a 777. They both had shorter bins than the DC9 I flew as a young lad. Th DC9 overheads were essentially a long shelf with many doors. Longer carry-ons could be shoved into the next 'compartment' Today's big bodies have larger bins, but very short. If they qualify the statement with 'fits in the overhead bin', it probably won't. Keep reading their policy for musical instruments. Most will stow it in a 1st class closet.

I've flown with my electric bass a number of times and managed to get it in the overhead or the closet everytime. I would suggest this: Contact your airline and ask them which end of the plane boards first. Sometimes they board front to back, sometimes back to front. Then see if you can get assigned to board as early as possible. Frontier, for example, boards back to front, so I always ask to be seated as far back as possible. It gets me on the plane sooner, before all the overheads are taken up.

I have done it on several ocasions. Last was back in august, I took a guitar in 2 domestic flights and then an international flight. No problem at all. [thumbup]

NEVER EVER give your guitar so they can send it with the suitcases and everything else, it will probably end up damaged or missing.

I think Dave (Daveinspain) travels a lot between the US and Spain with guitars and has never had any trouble either.

I flew back from Germany with a 78 RIC bass, business class closet.

my Hamer always flew carry on no issue.

Gibby cases fit nicely overhead, if it's a flat fender style case, even better.

much lower profile. all the aforementioned ideas are all sound advice as well.

msp_thumbup.gif

I'll be flying out to my parents house on Saturday, and will have many hours of downtime while I'm out there. I was thinking of taking a tele apart and fitting it into a carry-on bag, has anyone here done that? My biggest concerns are the bolts and the strings.

Worst case scenario is I ship it. I just would prefer not to ship something at this time of year. Especially a guitar.

Hi

I've never tried the take-apart scenario you envision. If your plane isn't filled to the max (most are), you should be able to take it as carry on and fit in the overhead bin. A soft case is more likely to fit. The bad news: if there isn't room, they will make you check it and do their best to wreck it on you. i would invest in one of those little travel guitars ify ou must bring a guitar with you, or rent one from a local music store.

Good luck,

Mick

BTW - the "closets" some folks have mentioned are for First Class passengers' use. Don't plan on putting your guitar in there, unless you are flying first class. Maybe some stewardess will have pity on you and let you use the closet (if the plane even has one) but don't count on it, despite what other users have said....

I've actually taken guitars (acoustics and electrics) on flights several times as carry-on baggage, and I never had a problem. Sometimes they fit in the overhead compartment, but if that's too small, there are closets at the front and back of the plane where they always fit. You just have to ask a stewardess.

One thing, though. You may want to ask what the policy of your airline is. Not all are the same...

Good luck!

Same here. I took my Les Paul to Europe, no problem with a Les Paul Case. Just hope the X-ray didn't hurt it. B) Wasn't able to take a rectangular Fender case though. Next time I used a gig bag - no problem at all. Placed it in the overhead, even on a regional jet.

I've taken a guitar with me on trips to Japan and Europe and have tried a few different ways.

1- Guitar In a hard Case for carry on - Pain in the butt! Especially if you're alone and get delays etc... Having to lug it around the terminal (bathroom yik) etc.. = no Fun

1.5 - Checked guitar with hardcase - a bit of a pain and the worry of getting lost or stolen

2 - Guitar In soft case - Not quite as much of a pain but still have to lug it around

3 - Guitar unbolted in a soft case with the neck folded over and lashed to the body - About half the size and will fit under the seat if storage is a problem. Little easier to deal with.

4 - Guitar unbolted and stuck in a checked suitcase - this worked best for me if you have a locking nut it is easy, or a capo if not.

or buy the travel guitar or maybe pick-up a cheap honer Steinberger copy off of the Bay...

Regards,

Andy

PS I wouldn't worry about the bolt threads too much unless you're doing this all the time.

Good luck with this one...it's pretty much a lucky dip...eg they may let you carry on....but they may not...it depends on the staff member...that's it...they go on about policies etc. but even if you call them and they say you can carry it on, they can change their mind on the day...I have seen this happen. And seen the Les Paul they made us put in the hold come out with the headstock snapped off!!! It was in a regular Gibson hardcase...Not my guitar but upsetting all the same...

Qantas (Australia) has a policy allowing Violins and violas! But anything else....see below

"All other musical instruments that exceed allowable dimensions are considered a 'bulky item'. You will need to purchase an extra seat if you wish for the item to travel in the cabin."!!!!!!

WTF!!!!

Okay, all my flying years were pre 9-11, but sometimes with some similar scenarios with significant batches of photo equipment.

After one game where I did buy an extra seat... I simply did a double wrap of stuff, called ahead to the hotel or other venue to make arrangement to accept the equipment a day or two before I was scheduled to arrive.

That was preferable although I know that some guitar scenarios wouldn't allow for that if you're performing. I hand carried cameras regardless of the extra stuff, but even that was a pain so I didn't need the other stuff adding to the hassle. They certainly didn't like my steel-lined ex U.S. Marine fiberglass carry case. <grin> I loved it for camera protection with special-cut foam. Never had a problem with the other gear getting to somewhere I had reservations, especially to rent a conference/small dining room for a photo shoot.

Anyway... How about sending stuff the hotel or whatever so it arrives say two or three days ahead; then check to see if it got it. If it ain't in when you get there, bite the bullet. I'll wager that in the long run it would cost the same or less as worrying about airline employees - and it's even insured.

m

Archived