Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Caps do make a Difference

bluesguitar65

A much better presentation of tone capacitors, their function, comparisons, etc.

This is part one of a multi-part demonstration, comparison. He compares different material types and values. He also has several other videos comparing pots and pickups.

A much better presentation of tone capacitors, their function, comparisons, etc.

This is part one of a multi-part demonstration, comparison. He compares different material types and values. He also has several other videos comparing pots and pickups.

I dunno if its any better as the one I posted did the comparison in a similar fashion, but on your post the sound difference is very subtle. Here is the link on how the person did the tone cap test that I posted the demo for.

My link

To add to this.

It is natural that people tend to adjust their playing to how they want to sound.

So you should try this out yourself if you want a proper comparison.

Also the setup you have makes a large difference. Some guitars just sound better on certain amps.

Changing a cap doesn't necessarily fix this.

Based on what I heard I like the last cap in the first video and the original Epiphone overall in the second video with caps of the same value.

I dunno if its any better as the one I posted did the comparison in a similar fashion, but on your post the sound difference is very subtle. Here is the link on how the person did the tone cap test that I posted the demo for.

My link

Yes, it makes a difference when all the details of the comparison are covered. I'm an electronics technician, so I'm very much into all the little details leading up to such a test. Thanks for the link to that thread.

To add to this.

It is natural that people tend to adjust their playing to how they want to sound.

So you should try this out yourself if you want a proper comparison.

Also the setup you have makes a large difference. Some guitars just sound better on certain amps.

Changing a cap doesn't necessarily fix this.

Based on what I heard I like the last cap in the first video and the original Epiphone overall in the second video with caps of the same value.

I completely agree. A pair of decent clip-on jumpers and an assortment of caps, then you can do it for yourself.

I really dig that Nico was trying out some old salvage caps. That's really cool!

Archived