Gibson Brands Forums

band or stage names

tartanbeastie

The first band I was in was Grace for the Fallen (I think). Followed by Chalkline Beauty, followed by Mariah' Bedroom, more recently Mercy Curse. Our singer left moved back to PA, 3 of us formed a Metallica cover band simply because the drummer was asked to and we all have a healthy obsession with Metallica. We do not have a name. Gotta think of one before March....that's our 1st gig as this cover band.

I have no stage name buuut I'm sure "MojoJojo the Redfoot Tortoise" would be it.

My bandmates from Chalkline Beauty called me "Skisgaar" because I play a Gibson Explorer and listen to primarily Scandinavian metal bands.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Mercy Curse dubbed me "Matt Fire" or "Matt Fuego" (because I'm from Chile). I don't know why they called me that. Might keep it since 3 of us are still together.

The first band I was in was Grace for the Fallen (I think). Followed by Chalkline Beauty, followed by Mariah' Bedroom, more recently Mercy Curse. Our singer left moved back to PA, 3 of us formed a Metallica cover band simply because the drummer was asked to and we all have a healthy obsession with Metallica. We do not have a name. Gotta think of one before March....that's our 1st gig as this cover band.

I have no stage name buuut I'm sure "MojoJojo the Redfoot Tortoise" would be it.

My bandmates from Chalkline Beauty called me "Skisgaar" because I play a Gibson Explorer and listen to primarily Scandinavian metal bands.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Mercy Curse dubbed me "Matt Fire" or "Matt Fuego" (because I'm from Chile). I don't know why they called me that. Might keep it since 3 of us are still together.

Call the band "Sad But True"

And I LIKE Skisgarr!!

Call the band "Sad But True"

And I LIKE Skisgarr!!

Hahaha...we joked about that. Incase we suck, we're "sad but true." We're only doing pre-black album songs so trying to reference that era.

I spelled it wrong... Skwisgaar....although I am not blonde, Swedish or as tall as a tree

skwis.jpg

Well...I'm not sure how much of this I'm supposed to reveal, because our EP hasn't dropped yet, but I'm in a band right now.

We're kind of alt-metal/avant-garde/grindcore. I don't want to mention the name yet, because we haven't finished recording.

I play lead guitar and my friend plays rhythm guitar. We figure we'll either find a drummer (we have a guy in mind) for live shows or just use the synth percussion that he's been programming. That might give us sort of an electronic edge, too--then we'll have four genres!

He's doing vocal duties, as far as I know, since his growl is substantially better than mine.

I'm the principal songwriter, though. Right now we basically have a bunch of microsongs (in line with our avant-garde/grindcore roots) that we always end up extending with seven-minute free jazz explorations in the middle of them (in line with our alt-metal/avant-garde roots.)

I'm having fun doing it, and I'm not really taking it seriously which is part of why it's so much fun. Also, the other member is a great guy and he's really fun to work with.

Not sure if we'll gig with any of this material (although it would be fun, because our songs for this project are incredibly bizarre,) but I told myself I'd get some real experience in collaborating with other musicians, and so here I am collaborating with another musician! I'm also working outside of my comfort zone because grindcore isn't something I usually play--it's something that I just got into over the summer before college.

Anyway, if I were to be in any other band, where the name wasn't so attached to the material (as it is in this band--and again, I don't want to give it away just yet, because it's integral to the band's concept,) then it would definitely be QUESADILLA EXPRESS. That's just a name that has always hit me as really cool. Either that or SALLY. Not sure why that one sounds good to me either, but it just works.

Well...I'm not sure how much of this I'm supposed to reveal, because our EP hasn't dropped yet, but I'm in a band right now.

We're kind of alt-metal/avant-garde/grindcore. I don't want to mention the name yet, because we haven't finished recording.

I play lead guitar and my friend plays rhythm guitar. We figure we'll either find a drummer (we have a guy in mind) for live shows or just use the synth percussion that he's been programming. That might give us sort of an electronic edge, too--then we'll have four genres!

He's doing vocal duties, as far as I know, since his growl is substantially better than mine.

I'm the principal songwriter, though. Right now we basically have a bunch of microsongs (in line with our avant-garde/grindcore roots) that we always end up extending with seven-minute free jazz explorations in the middle of them (in line with our alt-metal/avant-garde roots.)

I'm having fun doing it, and I'm not really taking it seriously which is part of why it's so much fun. Also, the other member is a great guy and he's really fun to work with.

Not sure if we'll gig with any of this material (although it would be fun, because our songs for this project are incredibly bizarre,) but I told myself I'd get some real experience in collaborating with other musicians, and so here I am collaborating with another musician! I'm also working outside of my comfort zone because grindcore isn't something I usually play--it's something that I just got into over the summer before college.

Anyway, if I were to be in any other band, where the name wasn't so attached to the material (as it is in this band--and again, I don't want to give it away just yet, because it's integral to the band's concept,) then it would definitely be QUESADILLA EXPRESS. That's just a name that has always hit me as really cool. Either that or SALLY. Not sure why that one sounds good to me either, but it just works.

Glad to hear it Xdemon, how's college going for you? Its nice you've found people to play with.

Glad to hear it Xdemon, how's college going for you? Its nice you've found people to play with.

College has its fair share of ups and downs (KEEP YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER--THAT MEANS YOU NATHAN!) and things I could definitely complain about, but I'd have to say that one semester in, I'm definitely better off in college than I would be if I hadn't gone. First semester classes were interesting--had one that I loved (a philosophy class,) one that I tolerated (a Spanish class,) one that I hated (an accounting class,) and one that I withdrew from (a calculus class.) I'm getting out of the business department entirely. I may choose to major in Philosophy or Film, or maybe English like I had planned in the first place. I don't have to declare this year. I think I'll have a better time next semester than I did this semester. I had a lot of problems with getting used to being here, but I think I'm doing alright now, thanks for asking.

One my band has a website up, I'll post a link on the forum. It's probably not going to be the kind of thing that most people will be into, though.

College has its fair share of ups and downs (KEEP YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER--THAT MEANS YOU NATHAN!) and things I could definitely complain about, but I'd have to say that one semester in, I'm definitely better off in college than I would be if I hadn't gone. First semester classes were interesting--had one that I loved (a philosophy class,) one that I tolerated (a Spanish class,) one that I hated (an accounting class,) and one that I withdrew from (a calculus class.) I'm getting out of the business department entirely. I may choose to major in Philosophy or Film, or maybe English like I had planned in the first place. I don't have to declare this year. I think I'll have a better time next semester than I did this semester. I had a lot of problems with getting used to being here, but I think I'm doing alright now, thanks for asking.

One my band has a website up, I'll post a link on the forum. It's probably not going to be the kind of thing that most people will be into, though.

I feel like that was directed at me... [flapper]

I know what you mean. My first semester was alright, next semester is gonna be amazing. The only thing is, my two friends (both girls) want me to take a class with them, but its separate classes at the same time. So I have to decide which one I take a class with :unsure:

I'd love to hear your stuff man, this weekend I'm working with my drummer and we are going to get some more recordings up with drums and they shouldn't suck as much [thumbup]

Stones River Band for about 2-years. Other than that, just garage bands and jamming in my basement. Someday I may start a RUSH Tribute Band. (haven't thought about a name yet).

"Living in the Limelight"?

I've always had an idea for a cover band... cover a different artist/group every week and call the band "Mime"....

Hey I'm guessing that this has been done so many times but I'm curious about the band or stage names we have had or used over the years..In my younger days when i was starting out with a band we went from "EMPYRE" to"CATCH 22.."

I'm not currently in a band or playing much other than in the house but my wife is in a band called "FIRE LILY"

however, i would love to start a new band, mixture of sounds from country to blues or light rock, rock n roll and should it ever happen I really want to use the name "THE KNUCKLE SHUFFLERS" i think its amusing and catchy.

So what are you collectively or singularly known as these days??

The ska band CATCH 22?!? If so, I love you and especially your drummer.

"Living in the Limelight"?

I've always had an idea for a cover band... cover a different artist/group every week and call the band "Mime"....

Lots to choose from,

Freewill

Xanadu

Cygnus

Hemispheres

2112 (already taken)

Limelight (shortened version)

Bytor

Necromancer

I could go on and on.

Like your idea of Mime. How many bands could you tribute/cover?

I could probably cover Rush, Judas Priest or Van Halen by Saturday night. Give me a week between shows, and I could cover Motley Crue, Ratt, KISS, Tull... maybe Ozzy. Most of it would be trying to mentally recover my catalogue from when I was gigging. We liked to do a lot of material from the same bands and just mix up the song list.

Rush trivia... know where Neil got the names By-tor and Snowdog?

I could probably cover Rush, Judas Priest or Van Halen by Saturday night. Give me a week between shows, and I could cover Motley Crue, Ratt, KISS, Tull... maybe Ozzy. Most of it would be trying to mentally recover my catalogue from when I was gigging. We liked to do a lot of material from the same bands and just mix up the song list.

Rush trivia... know where Neil got the names By-tor and Snowdog?

I know I've heard the story before, but can't remember. Enlighten me please.

BTW nice list of bands. You and I could jam together for hours and hours.

They had two dogs. One was a white dog (Snowdog) and the other black. The black one was big on biting, hence By-tor. The song came about the day the white dog had enough and fought back....

Thanks man... if you're ever in Nahsville... :)

They had two dogs. One was a white dog (Snowdog) and the other black. The black one was big on biting, hence By-tor. The song came about the day the white dog had enough and fought back....

Thanks man... if you're ever in Nahsville... :)

Will let you know ahead of time and look you up. Same for you if your are ever in St. Louis.

Archived