Gibson Brands Forums

Mind is full of guitar.

neilpanda

Hmm...a lot of my friends just decided they wanna get into guitar. a couple played it before but stopped.

Im running out of advice to give them. Ive been giving them tips suggestions and set up their dusty guitars

for them. Im just wondering if you guys might have any other advice I can give them. and any good beginner guitars

for under 300 bucks? thanks and happeh holidays!

Beastie

Soooooo many of my friends in middle and high school started and quit after a short time. How old are your friends?

My advise is to tell them to give up. If you're one of those that starts and stops, you most likely will not continue. I have a co-worker who is 24 and does that. He keeps saying he wants to buy a new guitar but then I tell him "dude, you don't ever play the ones you have." He got his 1st guitar as a teenager and still does not know the notes he's playing. I was recently trying to teach him a song and was calling out what chord to play but he had no idea what to do.

Another co-worker wanted me to teach him. I gave him a few lessons but he did not practice inbetween lessons and gave up even after I told him to practice. Chances are your friends will not stick to it.

I have a bud who always said he wanted to learn Bass...i convinced him to take the guitar class i've been going to and he was down. He decided to learn guitar and then maybe take the learnings to bass later on.

Man, we have 1 class left out of 14 and I don't think he has practiced more than 15 minutes throughout the entire time. The funny thing is he was thinking about taking the next level of class. I told him to save the $300....lol!

I have a bud who always said he wanted to learn Bass...i convinced him to take the guitar class i've been going to and he was down. He decided to learn guitar and then maybe take the learnings to bass later on.

Man, we have 1 class left out of 14 and I don't think he has practiced more than 15 minutes throughout the entire time. The funny thing is he was thinking about taking the next level of class. I told him to save the $300....lol!

hahahahaha....he should have thought aboot taking the lessons from the first class.

I find it interesting that regardless what "style" we all play, whether we're in our teens or in our 60s, the real fact of life we all recognize is...

If you don't practice, it doesn't make any difference what guitar you have. You ain't gonna make it as a guitar player. As far as that goes, as any sort of musician.

As to guitars $300 or below, honestly, I don't think anybody can go too far wrong with any of the Epis I've seen or played. Whether some of the less expensive electrics or acoustics or A-E... they're okay and very much better than what was available in adjusted dollars than when I was a kid. The problem with the electrics is they'd best look at a low-end "package" with a practice amp, or plan to get a practice amp.

Regardless of type of guitar, they also need some type of protection when they haul it anywhere - so that will add a bit to the price tag. Ditto a tuner of some kind and...

m

As has been said...it takes passion, heart and sheer bl..dy mindedness to succeed in music

The guitar is really difficult initially and lots of support helps over the first hurdles

Having peers with similar interests works wonders

And being determined to enjoy it is necessary

Otherwise...why bother?

V

:-({|=

Archived