Gibson Brands Forums

Finally! A locking nut... Blood Explorer

GibSinCity

It says it chambered. why Gibson why

Please don't start chambering the other Explorers and NO PCB's either.

Yeah, the Specs page says it's chambered, but the Features page says "body of solid swamp ash", with a quarter sawn mahogany neck.

My guess is that it's solid, like most Explorers....

Except of course, for the Holy Explorer, which is about as chambered as it gets.

holy-x_main2.jpg

I think that Blood Explorer is like a dream come true!! [thumbup] Active pick-ups, Schaller tremolo, locking nuts and very cool finish! A while ago I tried to order tribal Explorer, but unfortunately they were already sold out... Luckyly this one showed up and it seems to be much better choice for me than tribal explorer. So I ordered this bloody one as soon as i could, because i simply must have it. It is so cool... my precious. [drool]

They should have just reissued the Voodoo Explorer that they stole this idea from, the Voodoo was way cooler.

I love the finish on those, just not the goofy looking skull on the 5th fret. It would be great if they did those again with dots or better yet, ebony fret board with no inlay. And NO trem!

• 3 weeks later...

I was a tad miffed when I saw this come out...I've often wondered why they never put a locking nut on the Shred-X. But the miffed-ness has gone away, because I much prefer the look of my Shred-X and I'm not sure about the sound but these EMGs are the nicest pickups I've heard :)

Danny

I was a tad miffed when I saw this come out...I've often wondered why they never put a locking nut on the Shred-X. But the miffed-ness has gone away, because I much prefer the look of my Shred-X and I'm not sure about the sound but these EMGs are the nicest pickups I've heard :)

Danny

Have you swapped the neck pup for a EMG 60 yet or did you leave the 85 in?

• 2 months later...

After long waiting.... I finally got it and I love it! msp_love.gif

Blood Moon is much better looking "live" than any pictures of it I have seen. Even the inlays are okay, they doesn't bother me like they do in the pictures... (maybe in pics are too much contrast or something.. i don't know). Anyway, this is perfect for me... First of all I've been looking for Explorer with trem and now i have it. msp_cool.gif

I like the Voodoo Explorer more, the finish spoke more about the guitar. To me this looks like a Epiphone style guitar with Gibson written on the head. Then again I am pretty biased towards my '76 reissue, its plain and simple and does the trick.

Actually there was a locking nut on the Explorer Series 1983-1984. I own a 1984 stock, and just over the bone nut there is a chrome plated bar that has holes that the strings are inserted through, and a set screw is then tightened down on the string once tuned. Tuning is then done at the micro tune knobs at the Kahler Tremolo tail piece.

I agree with a number of the opinions here, kidna the best of both worlds. I like how the blood moon looks on paper (the inlays are a little tacky to me but oh well) but I also agree with the sentiment the I wish they'd sometimes reissue some of the models in the past that are no longer with us. I think some of the ideas they've had over the years might've had merit as standard models.

Archived