Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you come up with ideas?

Silenced Fred

They just come when I least expect them to... luckily sometimes it happens while I'm jamming with my drummer and we always have a couple of mics set and recording everything. [thumbup]

The really hard part is to try and figure out what the hell we were playing after we listen to the whole thing. [cursing]

Its funny...i don't "hear" riffs in my head and then go and play them....i sit down with my guitar and noodle until something sounds awesome....then the riff/song develops from there. I guess I am different.

All the "music" quality comes from playing, but lyrics, melodies or the sounds in my head that I want, that all comes either when in the shower, or right before I got to sleep. Then I'll usually dream something about it, weird huh?

All the "music" quality comes from playing, but lyrics, melodies or the sounds in my head that I want, that all comes either when in the shower, or right before I got to sleep. Then I'll usually dream something about it, weird huh?

Not really weird. "Lucid Dreaming" has its proponents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

You might want to keep a notepad nearby so if you wake up, you can write about what you were dreaming about.

`

Lotsa beatin round a bush in this thread.

Where do I come up with ideas ?

I steal them !

All other answers from any other artistes

are 100% pure prevarication.

Now if "where" is asking about specific

locations of thefts, well, theft is generally

opportunistic so it can happen anywhere,

anytime, wherever I find somebody has

left their ideas unlocked and unguarded.

The terrific thing about theft of ideas is

that the thief can, if so motivated, steal

everything, cleaning the victim right out,

and yet there will still just as many ideas

there waiting for the next thief. It's like a

perfectly renewable resource. Think of it

as the prototype for online social webs.

`

It's kind of strange but I have been coming up with original ideas lately when I am at a restaurant or other place where the background music is so low that I can hear the beat and kinda hear the song but don't concentrate on it to try and identify the song. You can build a melody around what you think you're hearing by relaxing and letting your mind go there - sounds pretty zen. Then I'll hum it into my iphone along with a descrition of how I think I'll play it. I told you it was strange. Maybe I'm in the beginning stages of losing my hearing and that's why I'm able to do it. :blink:

The other thing I've been doing is messing around with arpeggios as the basic chord structure and then experiment with different chord variations. Into chords with an open B and top E string kick at the moment.

`

Lotsa beatin round a bush in this thread.

Where do I come up with ideas ?

I steal them !

All other answers from any other artistes

are 100% pure prevarication.

Now if "where" is asking about specific

locations of thefts, well, theft is generally

opportunistic so it can happen anywhere,

anytime, wherever I find somebody has

left their ideas unlocked and unguarded.

The terrific thing about theft of ideas is

that the thief can, if so motivated, steal

everything, cleaning the victim right out,

and yet there will still just as many ideas

there waiting for the next thief. It's like a

perfectly renewable resource. Think of it

as the prototype for online social webs.

`

The above is why I do not publicize my current original tunes.... Even though 60% of my recent work is registered with the copyright office, I still don't feel comfortable in releasing a large majority of my work on the web. Even as I speak a ton of mine and my singers compositions are tied up with our old bass player, and the both of us were the primary composers... So we are a little handcuffed in being able to make it available to even perform it, without consulting our old bass player, whom only wrote one song in the six years we were a band. [cursing]

All those that do original work should practice discretion with their works.

CR info

CR Forms

For me, pure thin air.....doesn't take any work unless I want it to....Saving it depends on the degree of clinical resistant depression of the day or week...I'll wake up and have a complete song....

I sleep work on certain meds; I can wake up and find a song written in a notebook....PTSD is a strange monster....LUCID dreaming ?? Also interesting...

ShredAstaire, it's not unusual, many musicians can't create easily; it's just a harder process for them/you...No big deal..

Duane V, playing music backwards ?? Hmmm..Never tried that...

Neo, you need a portable digital pocket recorder...I can imagine a Neo CD.....

Golem; interesting.....Lots of music is recycled, is that theft?? Sometimes....

I'm a well respected artist as well....my art is in some very impressive collections....That process is different, but similar....

Also, I don't burn my music, I sometimes need to be prevented from burning my art; and jumping off buildings and bridges....

Mental illness is great for the creative process, not for health........

Thanks Duane!

I had a band steal my originals... perform them at a battle of the bands, which was recorded. As we passed the recording deck on the way out of the venue, my wife swiped the tape.

Did I mention how much I love my wife!

Oh yeah, a couple of months later the bass player and drummer called me. The lead player dumped them after they paid off the PA and they were looking for another front man....

[lol]

The above is why I do not publicize my current original tunes.... Even though 60% of my recent work is registered with the copyright office, I still don't feel comfortable in releasing a large majority of my work on the web. Even as I speak a ton of mine and my singers compositions are tied up with our old bass player, and the both of us were the primary composers... So we are a little handcuffed in being able to make it available to even perform it, without consulting our old bass player, whom only wrote one song in the six years we were a band. [cursing]

All those that do original work should practice discretion with their works.

CR info

CR Forms

Good points and good links.........I refuse to co-write with anyone; my guitar playing and style is unique....The rare times I do work for hire, I am compensated for my input...

I could work full time in the industry.....but my mental health is very fragile and I cannot sustain any stress anymore....I'm tired of being asked to record for studios, can't do it......it su*cks...

Thanks Duane!

I had a band steal my originals... perform them at a battle of the bands, which was recorded. As we passed the recording deck on the way out of the venue, my wife swiped the tape.

Did I mention how much I love my wife!

Oh yeah, a couple of months later the bass player and drummer called me. The lead player dumped them after they paid off the PA and they were looking for another front man....

[lol]

He hasn't stole them, we do have writers credits, but being the nice members we were, all musical credits were distributed equally amongst the band name, which now our bass player has the trademark for... Things became messy once we had management and legal representation... When the dust settled, the bass player was the last man standing [biggrin]

For me, its always the shower. Lyrics, melodies, etc. That's where I get all my good ideas, especially for songs.

The very talented and well respected member Nathan hard at work on his upcomming C.D................smiley-chores036.gif

Good points and good links.........I refuse to co-write with anyone; my guitar playing and style is unique....The rare times I do work for hire, I am compensated for my input...

I could work full time in the industry.....but my mental health is very fragile and I cannot sustain any stress anymore....I'm tired of being asked to record for studios, can't do it......it su*cks...

Oh I can relate to the stress of it all, which is why I didnt even pick up a guitar for 18 years after I called it quits. The last two years in the circus I felt like zombie with a volkswagon stuck to my back. [scared]

For the first time in a very long time, I'm at peace with myself musically. Certainly I'll never be the musician I once was, but I was really average at best when I was at my best.

Archived