Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you come up with ideas?

Silenced Fred

I usually come up with something if I haven't played for a couple days. Then, the first riff or two I come up when I pick up a guitar usually turns into something...

You don't post much music, but all I've heard is spectacular.......

Oh I can relate to the stress of it all, which is why I didnt even pick up a guitar for 18 years after I called it quits. The last two years in the circus I felt like zombie with a volkswagon stuck to my back. [scared]

For the first time in a very long time, I'm at peace with myself musically. Certainly I'll never be the musician I once was, but I was really average at best when I was at my best.

18 years is a long time.......I have quit quite a few times, always had to return to it.....rotate guitars out to force it to remain.....T-Man is a good example of a musician who stopped for a while as well..

It's not all that rare; 18 years is a long time though.......

Ideas are pretty much endless for me, as long as I'm really digging something at the moment.

Not just guitars, but anything musical or rhythmic inspires me.....

then when I start writing, the crap usually hits the fan quick. [lol]

And here's the great rjay777 busy recording his new C.D..............smiley-whacky086.gif

It's not all that rare; 18 years is a long time though.......

Below is the last one we did, we did all our initial tracks in different studios, because some of us couldn't even be next to each other, so it was left undone [biggrin] .... That's all passed now, and I laid down a temp lead guitar solo for it recently. I've just recently got back in contact with my old lead singer, which to my surprise never stopped working. I've always had a great working relationship with her, and she's very easy to write for... I know the both of us would like to re-record some tracks to the below tune. But again there are some legal hurdles to cross... But we might just say **** it [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKBpSec7Yc

My best ideas come from the cafeteria. I'm completely serious.

I'm working in sort of an alt-metal/thrash-funk vein right now, so you can understand why "best" and "most bizarre" would be synonymous in this context. One of my best pieces is about a pudding sandwich. Yes, you read that correctly. Go back and read it again. It still says pudding sandwich. Pudding between slices of bread.

It must be my years of listening to Frank Zappa, The Residents, Primus, Mr. Bungle etc. that have led me to this frame of mind lately.

All those that do original work should practice discretion with their works.

I definitely understand what ya mean Duane...but for me...i just write songs cuz its fun...not to publish them and make a ton of money. That would be nice but I got a good job that I like and music is a hobby, not a career for me. If someone steals a song from me and makes it big...i'll probably eat my words but somehow i don't think anyone's gonna get famous off my tunes lol!

Usually while listening to other people's stuff.

That's why none of my sh!t sounds original!

Don't you love that?

Working on something, it's going pretty damned good, you're liking it, thinking of slight changes here or there...

... then you think "Nah, that kinda sounds like What's That Song by What's His Name..."

And now THAT song is stuck in your head while your original evaporates. [cursing]

Don't you love that?

Working on something, it's going pretty damned good, you're liking it, thinking of slight changes here or there...

... then you think "Nah, that kinda sounds like What's That Song by What's His Name..."

And now THAT song is stuck in your head while your original evaporates. [cursing]

Well, yup, that happens Neo !!!!!!!!! Even worse is writing an origional song and then realizing it sounds like something else, well, thats kinda the same thing...

But, basic rock follows so many similar patterns and chords that it almost amazes me that the genre is able to continue...

it almost amazes me that the genre is able to continue...

Yeah, the rock formula is what it is - kinda like phone numbers, sooner or later an area code is used up.

That's why I'm doubly impressed when I hear a good, cool rock song that's different - without being f-ing weird.

[thumbup]

I definitely understand what ya mean Duane...but for me...i just write songs cuz its fun...not to publish them and make a ton of money. That would be nice but I got a good job that I like and music is a hobby, not a career for me. If someone steals a song from me and makes it big...i'll probably eat my words but somehow i don't think anyone's gonna get famous off my tunes lol!

I promise to give you credit for all the stuff I steal

O:)

Yeah, the rock formula is what it is - kinda like phone numbers, sooner or later an area code is used up.

That's why I'm doubly impressed when I hear a good, cool rock song that's different - without being f-ing weird.

[thumbup]

I guess you were never into Zappa, then?

Just gonna say, that guy had chops like it was nobody's business!

Back in the days when I was writing a lot I used to just sit down and play. I'd record my sessions on a tapes I called "babble" tapes, because it was me just goofing around. Then I'd listen to them and pick up parts to form tunes. I still have them in my house.

Sometimes I'd just whip together something because I needed to do it. For example, I wanted to surprise my wife-to-be by replacing the song she picked out for our first dance with a song I wrote instead. I literally did the whole thing in 2 hours, got the old band together and recorded it in about an hour. The wife loved it.

I think my old writing process is what made me become a professor. I still do the same thing with my research. I have 3 very thick folders of ideas I just wrote up, enough to last an entire career. Trying find time to publish them is the difficult part these days.

Oh I can relate to the stress of it all, which is why I didnt even pick up a guitar for 18 years after I called it quits. The last two years in the circus I felt like zombie with a volkswagon stuck to my back. [scared]

For the first time in a very long time, I'm at peace with myself musically. Certainly I'll never be the musician I once was, but I was really average at best when I was at my best.

I don't believe that - you were and are, from what I've heard, outstanding and way better than average.

I stopped for 18 years too. There's something about reconnecting and playing again. I gave up the dream because I found out that I couldn't live on a rock star's salary like my dad told me I'd have to do if I wanted to go that route.

I'm more excited about guitar playing now that actually have the chance to do something, albeit late, but so what? That original you posted was great.

Archived