Gibson Brands Forums

Standby Switch

Andre S

How do I use it? The manual says nothing on it?

The Standby Switch has two positions, Standby and On.

The Power Switch has two as well, Power and Off.

Which to flip first before turning on and off?

It came out the box with the standby in the Standby position and the Power in the off position.

I already googled it but I am still not too sure?

Ah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The one thing about Jet City amps is their manuals are pointless...Turn the power switch on first...MAKE SURE that the standby switch is off....wait a bit, most wait 30 seconds or so; I wait 1-2 minutes.....The standby mode allows the tubes to warm up; since power tubes run very very hot, to shock them with full voltage will shorten their life span...so, hence the standby mode...Once the tubes are warmed up, (standby mode) turning the power on gives the amp and tubes the power it wants and needs to run...

Remember, tube technology is one hundred years old, and the SHORT version is that tubes haven't changed much in BASIC design.....Technophobes, don't jump me here, this is the SHORT version...Never turn the amp on without a speaker load, your amp will fry quickly...and make sure that you use the right speaker load / jack...

The Ohm load needs to match up.......When you power down, turn the standby switch off first (not neccicary, but I do) and then power off...

Another thought; Tubes don't last forever, and powering them up is the toughest thing they go through, so, if you play for an hour and plan to have a quick lunch and return to playing, it's better to put the amp on standby rather than power the amp off.....Depending on how often you use your amp, the tubes will last between one and up to ten years, maybe longer.......

It's confusing.......On the Jet City you have.....Standby means standby...powerup with the standby switch on standby...to use the amp, after the power is turned on, turn the standby switch from standby to the ON setting....This is right 'cause I just did it on my Jet amp.......Your amp has EL 84 power tubes, a more "British flavor"...and 3 preamp tubes....hope this helps....

How do I use it? The manual says nothing on it?

The Standby Switch has two positions, Standby and On.

The Power Switch has two as well, Power and Off.

Which to flip first before turning on and off?

It came out the box with the standby in the Standby position and the Power in the off position.

I already googled it but I am still not too sure?

On a tube amp you want to have the stand by on when you power up. This allows the heaters in the tubes to warm up before you start sending power through them. If you are playing and going to quit for say up to an hour leave the power on and switch the stand by on so the tubes stay warm. Any longer than just shut down. The Stand By is to help preserve the life of the tubes.

Plug your guitar into the amp. Turn the power on. Let the tubes warm up for a minute or two. Turn the standby switch on. Do the reverse when turning it off. The standby allows the tubes to warm up before a load is applied.

Oh, I thought you turn the Standby on before you switch the power on...

Ok, so Power on, then standby on?

So the Standby stays on for the whole time that you play?

To clarify. I use the term "On" meaning that it is in standby mode. Powered up tubes glowing but no sound volume. Stand by "off" meaning powered up and volume coming out. Just remember "Stand By" While I warm up and "Stand By" because I will be back in a few. If your leaving for a long period shut her down.

Oh, I thought you turn the Standby on before you switch the power on...

Ok, so Power on, then standby on?

So the Standby stays on for the whole time that you play?

Sorry, I was trying to do two things at once and can you the wrong info, But not to worry, Recto had my back. Thanks Recto. I realized what I wrote after I had hit reply and finished helping the wife.

http://www.fender.co...lay_article=461

So what they said here?

Sorry to ask again, but I have never used this before and I have seen one site that said to turn the standby switch to standby first, which frankly made no sense.

Yes this can be confusing :

Therein lies the real utility of the standby switch. It allows the amp to be turned on but keeps full voltage from reaching its power tubes until they've had sufficient time to warm up, thus protecting them and prolonging their life.

You'll notice that the switch itself usually isn't labeled "on/off," but rather "on/standby." When you first turn your amp on, you want the switch to be in the "standby" position, in which no sound will be produced while the tubes warm up. Then, anywhere from 15 seconds to a few minutes after powering up, flip the standby switch to the "on" position, and you're ready to rock at whatever volume you like.

At a rehearsal or gig, in fact, a good modus operandi is to first turn on your amp in standby mode, then go about setting up the rest of your gear—adjust pedals, run cords, tune up, order a drink, wash your hands and so forth. That usually takes at least a few minutes, after which you then flip the standby switch of your properly warmed-up amp to "on," and off you go. On behalf of your healthy tubes, thank you, and have a great set.

In the example they are using what they are saying is that "On" means the amp is on and has power and volume running through it. Instead of using the term Off since your not really turning the amp off they use the term "Stand By" Some amps are labeled different just remember that you want the "Stand by" switch to be in what ever position that when the power is turned on no sound comes out. And yes do the reverse when powering off but not as important. But if you get in the habit then the only thing you have to remember is to switch the amp power on and you will already be in "Stand by " mode. Look up the term Tube Stripping.

Yes this can be confusing :

Therein lies the real utility of the standby switch. It allows the amp to be turned on but keeps full voltage from reaching its power tubes until they've had sufficient time to warm up, thus protecting them and prolonging their life.

You'll notice that the switch itself usually isn't labeled "on/off," but rather "on/standby." When you first turn your amp on, you want the switch to be in the "standby" position, in which no sound will be produced while the tubes warm up. Then, anywhere from 15 seconds to a few minutes after powering up, flip the standby switch to the "on" position, and you're ready to rock at whatever volume you like.

At a rehearsal or gig, in fact, a good modus operandi is to first turn on your amp in standby mode, then go about setting up the rest of your gear—adjust pedals, run cords, tune up, order a drink, wash your hands and so forth. That usually takes at least a few minutes, after which you then flip the standby switch of your properly warmed-up amp to "on," and off you go. On behalf of your healthy tubes, thank you, and have a great set.

In the example they are using what they are saying is that "On" means the amp is on and has power and volume running through it. Instead of using the term Off since your not really turning the amp off they use the term "Stand By" Some amps are labeled different just remember that you want the "Stand by" switch to be in what ever position that when the power is turned on no sound comes out. And yes do the reverse when powering off but not as important. But if you get in the habit then the only thing you have to remember is to switch the amp power on and you will already be in "Stand by " mode. Look up the term Tube Stripping.

Perfect way to explain it.....awesome.......

Damned! I hate to admit it but I have been using the Standby switch the opposite way in my Mesa. I am reading the manual and you guys are dead on.

No wonder the original tubes lasted 6 months before they started to go out!

Ah man, no way !!!!! And on such a good amp !!!!! I had to laugh.....Well, you know know.....good deal...

So just to clarify:

When the power switch is turned on, the Standby switch should be on 'standby'

and when I'm ready to play turn the standby switch from 'standby' to 'on'?

Yes, and use then the standby switch between sets, etc. They should have called it "go get a beer" but standby fit on the control better.

YES YES !!!!!!! As we speak, my Jet City amp is on, but is on Standby because I'm doing this and that.......When you get your speaker cord and power up, look throuth the grill and notice the difference of how much the tubes glow.......

You can also upgrade the tubes...that is a science and an art all it's own.......I will (almost) never use a solid state guitar amp again.......The science of tube amps is amazing...They are almost the result of an mistake...

And never never power up a tube amp without a speaker load.......

YES YES !!!!!!! As we speak, my Jet City amp is on, but is on Standby because I'm doing this and that.......When you get your speaker cord and power up, look throuth the grill and notice the difference of how much the tubes glow.......

You can also upgrade the tubes...that is a science and an art all it's own.......I will (almost) never use a solid state guitar amp again.......The science of tube amps is amazing...They are almost the result of an mistake...

And never never power up a tube amp without a speaker load.......

Thanks for the patience and replies guys.

Its too late to play now, 10.45 pm, so I'll play through it tomorrow.....

Archived