Gibson Brands Forums

JCA20H First Impressions

Andre S

First thing I noticed is the incredible clarity of the sound, of course that is probably because I never played through a 12" speaker before.

The cleans are nice, nothing too great, personally I much prefer the clean sound of of my Champ 600.

The crunchy tones are the best of this amp. I had the preamp around 3 and the Master around 3 1/2 and the amp was just bordering overdriven and sounded great for chords.

Its nice and bright and I turned the mids up to about 2/3's.

I didn't turn it up anymore yet. I will update later when I try more settings.

Yep, congrats on the purchase! I sould be getting mine in the next month or so. Went to GC to play it and loved it! ya, like you, I don't think I got past 4. just messing around on it for a couple of minutes was fun. I cant wait to get it dialed in! [thumbup]

Yea, it really is a little cool amp. The only problem I had and this was being extremely nit-picky was that the handles felt a little cheap compared to the handles on my Fender SCXD. The tolex also felt different to the Fender.

The cab was suprisingly large for a 1*12 and wasn't that heavy but I ended up paying nearly the same price for the amp as for shipping which was annoying. Luckily I got the amp for me for Christmas so my parents got the shipping which was nice of them.

Other than those minor things, I was extremely impressed with the style and construction. They should really do a better job of making a manual though because there was very little useful information in the manual I received.

If you are getting the head, they make a JCA20H with an effects loop, just check their website. I believe it is priced at $349 (the head alone) the regular version sells for about $249.

I got mine, head and cab for $315.

Yea, it really is a little cool amp. The only problem I had and this was being extremely nit-picky was that the handles felt a little cheap compared to the handles on my Fender SCXD. The tolex also felt different to the Fender.

The cab was suprisingly large for a 1*12 and wasn't that heavy but I ended up paying nearly the same price for the amp as for shipping which was annoying. Luckily I got the amp for me for Christmas so my parents got the shipping which was nice of them.

Other than those minor things, I was extremely impressed with the style and construction. They should really do a better job of making a manual though because there was very little useful information in the manual I received.

If you are getting the head, they make a JCA20H with an effects loop, just check their website. I believe it is priced at $349 (the head alone) the regular version sells for about $249.

I got mine, head and cab for $315.

Congrats on your new amp. I have the 20 watt combo version.

A BBE Sonis Stomp will push it closer towards a 'bouitique' amp sound when used for clean sounds..This amp doen't excel at clean tones....And a OCD or Plimsoul pedal will turn this amp into a monster.....in a good way..........

Also if you want the best cleans you should set the preamp volume where it sounds clean but not weak (about 10 o' clock on my amp) and turn the master volume all the way up. In my experience this gives the best clean sound.

And yeah use the knobs on your guitar too. I used to always set my amp overdriven and play clean most of the time with my guitar's volume knob down and then adjust it as I went along. It gave me a lot of control while I was playing.

Also if you want the best cleans you should set the preamp volume where it sounds clean but not weak (about 10 o' clock on my amp) and turn the master volume all the way up. In my experience this gives the best clean sound.

And yeah use the knobs on your guitar too. I used to always set my amp overdriven and play clean most of the time with my guitar's volume knob down and then adjust it as I went along. It gave me a lot of control while I was playing.

I don't need it for cleans, I like using one of the Fenders for that.

I have it set for a crunchy tone: preamp on 3, bass on 6, mids on 9, treble on 6, master on 3 1/2 and presence on 5.

Sounds nice there....I didn't attempt to tackle the brightness problem I'm having with the treble pup, I just flicked it into the middle position and it sounds great there.

Hey it's worth a try. You need to crank up that master volume man. That's where the good stuff is at.

So are you planning on running it in stereo with your Super Champ?

Either with the SCXD or the Champ 600....

One of the Fenders for cleans and one for dirty, and the Way Huge Pork Loin throught the Fender for rhythm dirty. kindof a hybridized setup between Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa type rig.

(then another for lead but thats another story of an amp for another year.)

Is a Champ 600 one of those little tiny one knob things?

My friend has one of those and he let me borrow it for a few days. All I ever wanted to do with it was destroy it with my Big Muff. I thought it was pretty cool but I need more volume and low end. But it's a small amp so I forgive it.

Is a Champ 600 one of those little tiny one knob things?

My friend has one of those and he let me borrow it for a few days. All I ever wanted to do with it was destroy it with my Big Muff. I thought it was pretty cool but I need more volume and low end. But it's a small amp so I forgive it.

Yea, thats it, one knob, but it was my first true tube amp and I've really bonded with it....maybe it won't sound as good with the JCA20H as I think, but I haven't played with the 600 in a while.

Oh yea, time to update my sig!

Congrats on your new amp!

I have the combo version. I sometimes find the amp a little too bright as well, depends on the room.

I have found that turning down the Presence to 2 or less and controlling the highs/brights

via boosting/cutting the tone stack (Treb/Mid/Bass) works out really well.

Archived