Gibson Brands Forums

2004 Studio...First LP

jbear

Hello,

My first post here coinciding with my first Gibson. Actually my second; I have my grandfather's early 1900 F2 mandolin. Beautiful instrument, but I can't play Robben Ford tunes on it. Fenders and Ibanez have always come my way, and I love playing them. Amazingly after 40 or so guitars...a Gibson shows up.

Anyway, I just picked up a 2004 Studio (Wine/Gold/Kluson's) after looking at Tokai's and Edward's, All super nice guitars, but I guess I just felt like saying "I have a Gibson." That's sort of stupid, and I freely admit it. So, I am always interested in the details. Anything particularly interesting about these '04's? Are these chambered? I had a Fender Esprit with a chambered body and it was killer (and still heavy as he##). I know (I think I know anyway) they have the 490/498 combo that some folks like to dog and others love (like everything else). Am I remembering correctly that these are alnico II's/V's respectively? I am pulling a set of Duncan's (JB/Jazz) out of an 81 Ibanez Artist (now that is a beautifully made instrument) to put the original Super 58's back in. I could drop them in just to see. I actually tend to prefer lower output PUP's, and I know that 498's aren't that.

Anyway, thanks for having me and any interesting factoids you'd like share...I'd enjoy reading.

I have an '08 Wine and chrome that I really LOVE. I bought it as a backup/bar gigger but it's a really special guitar. I would have gotten gold but the store didn't have one, just 2 chromes and mine really stood out in sound and feel.

Congrats and best of luck.

Thank you. 8.5 lbs and I am pretty excited about it...as I always am when there's a new guitar in the house. I am working on improving my chops to # of guitars ratio.

Beautiful guitar, one of my favorite color combos!

The first time I saw a wine/gold studio hanging on the wall I was just amazed by the simplicity and amazing looks.

I have a 2009 LP Studio wine red, gold hardware. I think this is the best color/hardware option in the studio line! I also love the stock pickups, which are the 490R/498T. Good chance your 2004 could be a chambered body like mine. Also, remove your cover plate for the electronics, and see if you even can upgrade the pickups only, because on my '09, the pickups plug into a printed circuit board, on which are attached the pots. Seems like trying to change the pickups would result in needing to rewire the whole instrument. But I love mine stock, and I don't plan on changing mine. :)

I appreciate all of the replies. My general SOP is to play things as they show up for a couple of months and go from there. I've started out with some preconceived notions in the past only to turn right around and put things back the way they were. I now know that getting my tone has as much to do with how much time I'm willing to spend tweeking my signal path as the guitar's particulars. Should be here on Tuesday.

Been playing it since Tuesday...fun, fun, fun [thumbup]. I think I'll just leave it stock for now. I am really impressed by the resonance of this guitar unplugged; it just feels good. The tuners are a really nice surprise. They are the Gibson vintage Kluson-style and they're ultra smooth. May play with the PUP's eventually, but...

Archived