Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between J-200, 100, 150????

onewilyfool

Generally (sorry)

j-200 : you know this one.

j-150 : another, more recent, less expensive version of the sj-200, neck and headstock not bound, but body bound and same wood types.

s/j-100 : originally (1930) the cheaper version of the sj-200, not quite as deep in the body. It's been reissued a few times. Depending on the year, the woods, bridge and hardware change.

I`ve got a 1994 J-100 Xtra, which has Mahogany B&S, and is a really wonderful guitar. It does have the same body depth as the J-200!, I`m pretty sure it was the original 1939-42 model that had the slightly shallow body depth. They can be found with Maple, Mahogany, Bubinga, and very rarely Rosewood B&S.

I really like the Mahogany version, it has all the quality and none of the bling, and I wouldn`t dream of trading mine for a J-200!

Steve.

A question - what kind of bracing comes in the J-200 these days. Do they have the wide angle double X bracing (with the second brace located just beneath where the board ends) like in the earliest SJ-200s and those built starting in the early 1950s or the single X bracing which Gibson used just before and after WWII?

Asking because I would imagine the difference would be greater if Bozeman uses the double X bracing pattern than the single X in the SJ/J-200s.

s/j-100 : originally (1930) the cheaper version of the sj-200, not quite as deep in the body. It's been reissued a few times. Depending on the year, the woods, bridge and hardware change.

I may be wrong but I believe the SJ-100 and SJ-200 originally had the same body dimensions. Gibson did not increase the body depth of the SJ/J-200 until the early 1950s long after the SJ-100 was out of production.

A question - what kind of bracing comes in the J-200 these days. Do they have the wide angle double X bracing (with the second brace located just beneath where the board ends) like in the earliest SJ-200s and those built starting in the early 1950s or the single X bracing which Gibson used just before and after WWII?

Asking because I would imagine the difference would be greater if Bozeman uses the double X bracing pattern than the single X in the SJ/J-200s.

Gibson Montana has never used the double X brace on any of it's guitars.

I may be wrong but I believe the SJ-100 and SJ-200 originally had the same body dimensions. Gibson did not increase the body depth of the SJ/J-200 until the early 1950s long after the SJ-100 was out of production.

This is the info I found regarding the SJ-100.

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/04/gibson-super-jumbo-100-j-100.html

As for the bracing, my 94 J-100 Xtra has a single scalloped X-brace, and the guitar itself is surprisingly light in weight.

Steve.

This is the info I found regarding the SJ-100.

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/04/gibson-super-jumbo-100-j-100.html

As for the bracing, my 94 J-100 Xtra has a single scalloped X-brace, and the guitar itself is surprisingly light in weight.

Steve.

My J-200 remains the heaviest acoustic I have played in some 50 years. The sucker is a tank. It is also the loudest Gibson I have ever held in my hands. Only a guess but I figure the added X brace sends more vibration through the top above the soundhole.

My J-200 remains the heaviest acoustic I have played in some 50 years. The sucker is a tank. It is also the loudest Gibson I have ever held in my hands. Only a guess but I figure the added X brace sends more vibration through the top above the soundhole.

You may well be right! I also own an Avalon D201 which has AXX bracing, and that guitar is unbelieveably loud, although not too heavy.

Steve.

Archived