Gibson Brands Forums

I had to Buy a LP Custom

Landshark

I had to buy an Alpine White LP custom along with a Red Cherry SG today to use as props for an upcoming photo shoot. White with gold would not be my choice but I have to admit the LP sounds pretty darn good. Please forgive the photos, just had the p&S at home today.

lp.jpg

lptight.jpg

Here it is with my beloved PRS SC-245

lpsc245.jpg

Played the same one a few weeks ago, nice feel to it. White also wasn't my thing originally but its really grown on me. A nice guitar. Can't figure out if i've just convinced myself that its nicer because its a custom and costs more though. Anyone got any opinions on this?

Part of me really wants a burst finish, desert or tobacco or something similar, i've got to try the traditional yet, that seems to tick most boxes, but i'm more into the 60's neck and I can't stand those plastic tuners. I wasn't mad about the previous standard, but actually like a couple of the features on the new experimental. Maybe if I just hang on another year or 2 something else will come out.

The lack of different colors/finishes on those customs are really frustrating. I would have gone for an ebony one, but I got a 3 PU black beauty earlier this year so I want something different. The ebony is damn nice though.

Does that custom come with a gibson usa case or custom case...i've looked in a couple of different places and some seem to say usa case, others custom... Then I see something like the classic custom...is that custom shop or gibson usa? I swear, only for this forum i'd be totally clueless...

I think I developing some bad GAS..

should have a Custom Case. the classic custom is USA' date=' the Custom is CS.

forget the Custom, buy a Historic. hell, buy a Historic Custom! [/quote']

Too many options...my heads starting to hurt...

Historics are a bit pricey though aren't they, looking more mid price range at the moment? Are the historics all from the custom shop, they don't appear in the gibson usa website.

My black beauty aleady has burstbuckers so figured I might want something with a bit more crunch like the 490/498s...mind you, still got to try the 57's in the traditional to see what it sounds like.

What a dilemma. I could easily pick 2-3 guitars but I swear the wife would demand a divorce if I came in with them. I reckon i'll just about get away with one more at the moment, so looking fo that perfect all rounder...then maybe give it a few years for her to forget about it before I sneak another in. The wish list is growing though at an awful rate though at the moment.

Historics are a bit pricey though aren't they' date=' looking more mid price range at the moment? Are the historics all from the custom shop, they don't appear in the gibson usa website.

My black beauty aleady has burstbuckers so figured I might want something with a bit more crunch like the 490/498s...mind you, still got to try the 57's in the traditional to see what it sounds like.[/quote']

Wait a minute, isn't your Black Beauty a historic? You said it has BurstBuckers...that should make it a 57 Custom.

There are two types of Customs - a regular Custom and a reissue. The regular has 490/498 pickups.

A 57 or 58 reissue costs less than a LP Custom and much less than a 57 Custom.

If you're unsure what guitar you have, send me a personal message with the guitar's serial number.

You could just post the serial number here, but I don't recommend sharing it with the world.

Wait a minute' date=' isn't your Black Beauty a historic? You said it has BurstBuckers...that should make it a 57 Custom.

There are two types of Customs - a regular Custom and a reissue. The regular has 490/498 pickups.

A 57 or 58 reissue costs less than a LP Custom and much less than a 57 Custom.

If you're unsure what guitar you have, send me a personal message with the guitar's serial number.

You could just post the serial number here, but I don't recommend sharing it with the world.[/quote']

Not quite, my black beauty is the signature Jimmy page one. Its a custom VOS alright, similar to the 57, but with 60s neck and the jimmy page burstbuckers, which are a bit different to regular burstbuckers. Its a really lovely guitar to look and play, but I am a bit conscious of both the cost and the relative rarity of this, so I really want something that I can use more day to day. Problem is, the bar has now been set pretty high after playing my JPC, so its hard to find the balance of something that steps up close to the mark thats a pleasure to play, good all rounder but not insane money, but without penny pinching also. Not too much to ask then...!

The reissues seem to vary in price anything between $3000-5000 from what I can see..whereas the regular production custom seem to be around the $3000 mark. Am I correct in saying this? I'm not taking into account discounts or haggling in these prices.

chengin, unless you bought the guitar as an investment or as a serious collector, I would just play the guitar and enjoy it. I don't mean beat the piss out of it, but if you bought it to play it and really like to do so, then don't worry so much about selling it later. Of course, if you're planning on flipping it over in a few years, then stick in the case and forget about it until you're ready to sell.

chengin' date=' unless you bought the guitar as an investment or as a serious collector, I would just play the guitar and enjoy it. I don't mean beat the piss out of it, but if you bought it to play it and really like to do so, then don't worry so much about selling it later. Of course, if you're planning on flipping it over in a few years, then stick in the case and forget about it until you're ready to sell.[/quote']

Hi Rich, I agree with you totally, I actually do use it. It just sounds too damn nice to keep in a case. But I do also want an LP thats more of a workhorse for gigging. My trusty Ibanez fills the workhorse gap nicely at the moment, but the GAS is kicking in a bit. I would be sick if my JPC got damaged from gigging. Its really one for my own home enjoyment. If I ever did have to sell it on (which I really doubt, but then again, you never know what might happen), I want to keep it as good as possible.

As I said earlier, the bar has been set high now on my expectations, but I did like the feel and sound of that regular custom. I need to give a traditional a test drive, they had none left when I was in the shop a few weeks ago, and it'll probably be a few more weeks before I get there again. I have seen lots of nice possibilites on the web, but I really need to get my hands on a couple in order to feel and hear the differences.

Hey, I guess its everyones story really when you are searching for the perfect axe isn't it...

Jimmy Page Custom...why didn't you say so???!!! Pictures please!

Yeah, that guitar's future value that would concern me too, if I owned it.

Just going by my personal experience, I'd find it hard to ever buy a Gibson USA Les Paul after owning a Custom Shop LP.

Any Gibsons I buy form this point on will be Custom Shop guitars...I've spoiled myself, I know.

Jimmy Page Custom...why didn't you say so???!!! Pictures please!

Yeah' date=' that guitar's future value that would concern me too, if I owned it.

Just going by my personal experience, I'd find it hard to ever buy a Gibson USA Les Paul after owning a Custom Shop LP.

Any Gibsons I buy form this point on will be Custom Shop guitars...I've spoiled myself, I know.[/quote']

Its a big one I know. Gibsons have always been expensive.. but I guess this is a bit more than the first one most guys get, so I don't want to brag too much about it.

I had my tusty Ibanez for years. Kind of got distracted for about 15 years by college, work, marriage, kid, and guitar got parked a bit. Really didin't watch what was going in equipment development at all. To be honest, Gibsons didn't interest me at all when I was younger cos they were so out of my price range. Now that I could afford things though I started to look around again. To be honest, I got a bit pissed off listening to guys telling me they had just spent a grand or 2 on a new guitar, and then finish it off by saying, I must get some lessons! I figured i was due a decent guitar at this stage. Started looking around but couldn't figure out what to look at, Fenders didn't do it for me, all seemed the same, didn't want a metal guitar, grew out of that a bit (not the metal just the warlock guitars etc!). Then as luck would have it, the Page Black Beauty came out. Saw it and said thats the one. Took me a lot of time to find a non e-bay one available in the states before I pulled the trigger.

Thats my problem now though (great problem to have) and you are correct Tim, the bar has been set higher. I played a few gibson USAs and they just didn't do it for me. I think thats maybe why I never gave them much thought yeas ago. I would also never have dreamed of picking up a guitar that cost a few grand when I was younger, cos it would always have been out of my range. Getting a proper job really changes things..

In the back of my mind I want a burst of some kind, but then I pick up a custom and think, these are really great and look good too. If only the only burst option wasn't heritage cherry (are you listening CS). Saw a guy playing an ebony custom on TV last weekend and you know what I can actually see myself buying that colour again, they do look good.

No pics yet, must get a few together, maybe I'll wait till she gets a new sister!

Well I was told to buy a black explorer and a 57 Ebony LP Custom VOS as well.

Really looking forward to playing around with the 57. Will post photos when it gets here.

Hey Landshark, sorry for hijacking your thread! Just to say, thats a nice job you have. Let me get this right, you were ordered to go and buy an alpine white custom, a cherry SG, a black explorer and a 57 Ebony VOS! What happens to the guitars after you are finished the shoot, are you ordered to take them home and play them every day...are you guys hiring at the moment!

The deal is, I may be shooting these guys a few times in the next couple of months and we may not be able to get their guitars for the shoot, so I have to cover my butt by having these there. After the shoot they will probably be sitting in my studio, so yes I will get to play them for a while.

The deal is' date=' I may be shooting these guys a few times in the next couple of months and we may not be able to get their guitars for the shoot, so I have to cover my butt by having these there. After the shoot they will probably be sitting in my studio, so yes I will get to play them for a while.[/quote']

Imagine the Geeks discussions in many years time if they made it big...."I know they were using a white custom but with X pickups, but I have a photo here which shows them with a regular white custom, and it didn't have the ding on the body like the live from the picture 2 years previously...blah blah blah"

You do realise the amount of grief you are going to cause the 'experts' in the future I hope!! Imagine the signature versions that Gibson might release in the future based on those very photos of yours..."ok guys, wheres that white custom, change the TRC and charge them and extra 2 grand quick..and good look for a 57 and explorer out back while you're at it, we'll release those at the same time as the Paris Hilton signature" ](*,)

I had to buy an Alpine White LP custom along with a Red Cherry SG today to use as props for an upcoming photo shoot. White with gold would not be my choice but I have to admit the LP sounds pretty darn good. Please forgive the photos' date=' just had the p&S at home today.

[img']http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/lp.jpg[/img]

lptight.jpg

Here it is with my beloved PRS SC-245

lpsc245.jpg

Hey, don't worry the photos look great... Do you get to keep the guitars after the shoot? I'm guessing you are a photographer or your making commercials or something...

Everything went well today at the shoot, except at the end of the day my prop stylist knocked over one of the guitars, put a couple of good sized dents in the body and cracked and peeled the finish. Fortunately out of the four guitars there he damaged the SG Special the least expensive of the four. I need it in pristine shape for the next shoot, so will debate whether to repair or replace when we get back to town.

Archived