Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars of the future

MaxiumburnN

I've always had ideas about what I like about guitars and had ideas about the designs of various makers like Gibson.

So, I though it would be great to hear from other guitarists about their ideas as well...

So here goes .. and this hard because Gibsons are already great designs. A Basic Les Paul shape studio simple with aged lacquer with a body contour indentation where the body meets the torso. humbuckers and Gasp.., whammy bar that is similar to a strat. Oh and relatively inexpensive like the new les paul studio 50's tribute

I guess I figure that as soon as there's electricity involved, all bets are off and it's a matter of making stuff sound good through some sort of amplification system.

In fact, that's what brought the acoustic archtop in the first place - it sounded better given the old radio and recording technologies.

That's to a large extent why I question some dislike I've seen of some of Gibson's "electronic" designs. My only question on that concept has to do with longevity of the electronics, not what's wrong with adding electronics since that's to me just an extension of what's been going on for over a century.

But then... in the early days of electrics I think the question was largely how one should handle connections between electric stuff on the guitar and some kind of a "radio" that would accept electrical information from one of those fancy new "pick-up" things. Two wire or three wire? How should you connect them? How about...

m

As far as "guitars of the future" goes, FIRST I hope that the big companies like Gibson and Fender will always produce the traditional style instruments they currently make, and second, I hope that the guitars of the future will still be made from real wood, and still being made in the USA. Hopefully they will keep the electronic doo-dads to a minimum, at least until they start producing quality electronics again.

A couple things. Explorer with the voodoo finish but no pickguard and Seprzel locking tuners and pearloid logo, not the cheap painted on crap.

Nothing fancy. Just more explorer options. Regular run with no pickguards.

EDIT: and no tremelo on those explorers!! [cursing]

Also a Darkfire without all the robot technology. Darkfire: Ludite Edition.

Double cut Semi Hollow, bound with a flamed maple top, ebony board, red or blue finish and a bigsby, all chrome hardware. Bone nut, BareKnuckle Stormy Monday pickups, cloud inlays. Honestly don't want any onboard effects on any guitar I may purchase in the future, I like my tech to be in my amps and pedals.

Maxi...

All kidding aside, especially if you fingerpick, it's my observation that either a magnetic or a piezo does a decent job of picking up mood. I can hear it easily when I record a practice session at home. Something about the attack that definitely comes through.

m

What???

Not sure if you've noticed, but people tend to get very self-righteous and indignant over the Gibson Robot line, the Dark Fire, Dusk Tiger and now the Firebird X. All of this stuff about them "playing themselves," being "more computer than guitar," "custom-made for the Guitar Hero generation," all from people who haven't actually played the instruments and are judging based on their conservative (SMALL C--this isn't a political statement) notions of what a Gibson should or shouldn't be. It's not rational because they're not withholding judgment before assembling all of the facts, and it's annoying because it's all just rhetoric and conditioned response that they keep pushing and pushing and pushing, relentlessly. Every few days it's "I'm a Luddite and proud of it" and "where do you put the strings?" It's like, I get it, they don't like the guitars, but that type of behavior (repetition of familiar and obvious statements of disapproval over the same subject) is just masturbatory, pardon my French.

Whenever I see a post of that nature I just [rolleyes] because I've read it all before, SO MANY TIMES. Sorry, just felt like venting.

Trust me, you have nothing to do with it.

Not sure if you've noticed, but people tend to get very self-righteous and indignant over the Gibson Robot line, the Dark Fire, Dusk Tiger and now the Firebird X. All of this stuff about them "playing themselves," being "more computer than guitar," "custom-made for the Guitar Hero generation," all from people who haven't actually played the instruments and are judging based on their conservative (SMALL C--this isn't a political statement) notions of what a Gibson should or shouldn't be. It's not rational because they're not withholding judgment before assembling all of the facts, and it's annoying because it's all just rhetoric and conditioned response that they keep pushing and pushing and pushing, relentlessly. Every few days it's "I'm a Luddite and proud of it" and "where do you put the strings?" It's like, I get it, they don't like the guitars, but that type of behavior (repetition of familiar and obvious statements of disapproval over the same subject) is just masturbatory, pardon my French.

Whenever I see a post of that nature I just [rolleyes] because I've read it all before, SO MANY TIMES. Sorry, just felt like venting.

Trust me, you have nothing to do with it.

Nice points X. You made me stop and think a bit about my own pre-concieved ideas, opinions and feelings about certain things. Thanks and Well done. msp_thumbup.gif

Regards,

Andy

For Milrod:

How about a guitar that doesn't use regular picks ups but something that responds to your emotions like a special sensor that like a lie detector that would add a nuanced sound!

Hey Max I looked at my post and noticed that it looks like I was making fun of your idea. Just wanted you to know my response had nothing at all to do with what you said it just reminded me of that incident. I hope I didn't offend you and If I did I apologize.

Regards,

Andy

X...

Indeed you wrote very well...

Now to the "pickups" that are more sensitive.

I question that. The factor of a plucked string having a certain sort of attack and decay... yeah, I get different stuff even unintended using bare fingers instead of a pick.

Some additional options, though, aren't the pickups themselves, regardless of what we know of today, but some "old tech" of the sort I used a volume pedal for and that guys like Roy Buchanan did with a pinky finger on a volume knob. That adds a different attack and decay.

There are electronics that do a similar sort of thing, but personally I rather prefer more control over individual notes. Then there's that bow thingie I've seen advertised that somewhat similarly change the attack and decay.

Also there really is a difference in how one plays with fingers rather than a pick. There are variations on use of either nail or fleshy parts of finger or thumb that bring a bit of difference to attack. Variations in palm muting - you don't have to go heavy on it at the bridge - can work to vary decay. Overall there are more options by far than on a piano. A B3 has that volume pedal...

m

Archived