Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar

djroge1

I'm looking for a pick-up for an acoustic guitar but you cannot just go out and try one at the store.

I don't like nor want a piezo so don't both mentioning them.

What are you using? What good things have you heard about different brands?

Dimarzo

Seymour

LR Braggs

other?

My guitar is one of the cheaper line Fender acoustics but it's mellowed over the years - it's about 20 years old and sounds decent these days.

I'm looking for a pick-up for an acoustic guitar but you cannot just go out and try one at the store.

I don't like nor want a piezo so don't both mentioning them.

What are you using? What good things have you heard about different brands?

Dimarzo

Seymour

LR Braggs

other?

My guitar is one of the cheaper line Fender acoustics but it's mellowed over the years - it's about 20 years old and sounds decent these days.

I am looking for a pickup myself... I have heard good things about LR Braggs, but never really had an opportunity to try it out.

I was at a Guitar Center, and a customer said anyone who buys a special pickup for an acoustic is stupid, easier and cheaper to just get a regular pickup and tack it on [blink]

he definitely had sl00shtone

I bought a Seymour Duncan Woody, I got the one with adjustable height pole pieces.

I like it, the only issue I see is that it needs a preamp or something to make it louder, but I have to say I do not own an acoustic amp and or a PA so I have only used this pickup to try to record and have only plugged it through tube amps.

I bought it because it was like 10% off and then I had a 20% off coupon and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

The adjustable pole pieces are important because there are not a lot of places to adjust on this type of mounted pickups.

I bought a Seymour Duncan Woody, I got the one with adjustable height pole pieces.

I like it, the only issue I see is that it needs a preamp or something to make it louder, but I have to say I do not own an acoustic amp and or a PA so I have only used this pickup to try to record and have only plugged it through tube amps.

I bought it because it was like 10% off and then I had a 20% off coupon and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

The adjustable pole pieces are important because there are not a lot of places to adjust on this type of mounted pickups.

This is one I've been looking at and others I've read said it was too low of out put as well. Hmmm. Still researching.

I can't stand the piezo sound either. Would much rather mic it. Not like I'm

going to be jumping around with an acoustic. Anyway, I was jut reading a killer

review of this new LR Baggs "Anthem" last night in Premier Guitar. The reviewer

gave it 5 of 5 and said it put everything else out there to shame. Oughta be

worth checking out...

http://www.lrbaggs.com/anthem/#experienceit

I have a Baggs I-Beam on my Martin D-28 and it really sounds great (truer acoustic tone) with no "quack" like one gets with an under-saddle type. The K&K Western is a great option also. Both of these mount to the bridge-plate of the guitar (inside guitar). With the Baggs I-Beam you need to make certain that there is enough room on your guitar's bridge plate for the installation. They both come in passive and an active models.

Bob

Thing I like about mine - although as I said I wish it had volume especially and tone control - is that it actually is pretty darned close to how some might mike the guitar. Yeah, a magnetic pickup.

That particular guitar I never ran though my big tube amp. My little Kustom A-E amp works quite well with it but heck, it works quite well with everything I've asked it to do otherwise.

We all badmouthed magnetic pickups on acoustic guitars in the era when they were "the" way to have an acoustic electric in the 50s and 60s. I think they sound fine if you don't overdo efforts for more "electricky" sounds.

OTOH, I've never been that unhappy with my two early Ovation A-E instruments that have Piezos. I do think you may want a less aggressive technique with those two guitars, at least. I use pretty light strings on the steel string; even the nylon sounds better doing a softer classical style.

m

Archived