Gibson Brands Forums

New Country

ChanMan

I gotta say I like it.

Heard this one this morning... reminds me of Alice in Chains...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ertNb6myic

This guy Rocks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGGlGqfP24E

Soooo.... you like it? Hate it?

Hold forth and let us know why!

ETA

I should add, no repercussions. There is no "right or wrong" in what you like.

I hate it, why don't we just call it pop and be done with it:( With a few exeptions, of course, Zak Brown, Brad Paisley, Jamey Johnson, and a few others. You kinda have to take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a big outlaw country fan, so I've never taken too kindly to what the Nashville establishment is trying to push as "country".

Never said anyone did. Just trying to say that not all REAL country was depressing. Good Waylon vid, by the way:)

I love that tune... I also like the fact that the clip shows his personality!

I wasn't implying that ALL old country was depressing, just that I don't care for the depressing stuff :)

That goes for new Country, too, for the record!

Shooter rules, but I wouldn't call him new country, Nashville snubbed him, just like his dad. It's a shame, really, I love his music.

I agree, which was why I voted no and then posted Shooter Jennings vids. He should be the future of country music, but he isn't because of people loving the pablum that comes out of the corporate Nashville monopolies these days. Then again a lot

great country music was always outside the Nashville mainstream anyway.

I like Kid Rock... but I don't think he's country. I don't hear "Country" in his tunes. I DO hear "Country" in Darius Rucker's stuff... and Eric Church and Jason Aldean. These folks are Country artists.

Jury is still out on Taylor Swift. She still seems more "pop" than country. A genuine talent, to be sure, as a performer and songwriter, but....

And +1 to Garth. He and Travis Tritt were what got me into Country. Specifically Rodeo and T-R-O-U-B-L-E respectively. I caught them on the radio as I was channel surfing and thought it was a Southern Rock station.

[thumbup]

I liked Travis Tritt's early stuff. He put some drive in his country. [biggrin] Haven't heard anything new though.

As posted in another thread by Milod, Chris Ledoux has some rockin' good country stuff too.

I generally come at it from the Alt. Country side of things, so Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle are about the closest

thing to Nashville country in my music library.

I think this poll (and most other polls, as well) needs another

option..."Some of it."

I've been surrounded by two types of music, "Country & Western!"

Now, there's another...called "Red Dirt," music. Near as

I can tell, it's a blend of Country, 50's rock/rockabilly,

and folk music. Seems to be mostly related to farming, or

farm related subjects, too. Though that may depend on region,

and/or artist(s)?

"Rock" has been on the back burner, around here, for years!

It's still there, mostly with the under 30 crowd, but "Country"

or what passes as such, seems to rule the roost, most often,

nowadays. At least, around this part (Smack Dab Center) of

the country.

CB

Thunder Rolls especially the extended un edited version where she shoot him.......

Ahh yeah!! Almost posted that one instead of Jason Aldean :)

I also like "Friends in Low Places".

I should likely post that in the Crank it Up thread!

I like Kid Rock... but I don't think he's country. I don't hear "Country" in his tunes. I DO hear "Country" in Darius Rucker's stuff... and Eric Church and Jason Aldean. These folks are Country artists.

Jury is still out on Taylor Swift. She still seems more "pop" than country. A genuine talent, to be sure, as a performer and songwriter, but....

And +1 to Garth. He and Travis Tritt were what got me into Country. Specifically Rodeo and T-R-O-U-B-L-E respectively. I caught them on the radio as I was channel surfing and thought it was a Southern Rock station.

[thumbup]

3 of the artists you've mentioned were/are current Rock/Alt acts

Kid Rock

Aaron Lewis - Staind

Darius Rucker - Hootie and the Blowfish

Jason Aldean(sp) has played around here a few times and honestly I'm not a fan of his music but the girls around here are crazy about him. I'm more of an older country fan when I actually sit down and listen to it. Garth, George Strait, Chris LeDoux, Clint Black, Vince Gill etc. Then again my formative music years were in the 90's (still a huge Grunge guy), so the country I heard during those years is what I go for.

3 of the artists you've mentioned were/are current Rock/Alt acts

Kid Rock

Aaron Lewis - Staind

Darius Rucker - Hootie and the Blowfish

Jason Aldean(sp) has played around here a few times and honestly I'm not a fan of his music but the girls around here are crazy about him. I'm more of an older country fan when I actually sit down and listen to it. Garth, George Strait, Chris LeDoux, Clint Black, Vince Gill etc. Then again my formative music years were in the 90's (still a huge Grunge guy), so the country I heard during those years is what I go for.

Yep.

Aaron Lewis' first country song is "Country Boy". There are a LOT of artists tapping into the Country Cashflow.

I like some of the older artists, too. George Jones, and George Strait...

I REALLY like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJf-p6RYvo

Archived