Gibson Brands Forums

New Country

ChanMan

I hate it, why don't we just call it pop and be done with it:( With a few exeptions, of course, Zak Brown, Brad Paisley, Jamey Johnson, and a few others. You kinda have to take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a big outlaw country fan, so I've never taken too kindly to what the Nashville establishment is trying to push as "country".

+1. My thoughts exactly!

i was 5 yrs old whenever i started palying guitar ,,the very first song i learned was folsom prison blues by johnny cash ,,,played the rythtm & lead all myself ,,,,,,after learning to play that i went on to play some rock like smoke on the water & some boogie woogie music ,,when i entered my teens i went nuts on ted nugent & learned almost every song he played then i got into rock bands with my highschool buddies & we rocked out on bad company ,skynyrd,marshall tucker ,charle daniels band & me having my country back grounf i had a heads up on the more country sounding songs like tucker & skynyrd,,,,,my dad played a stereo gibson then swithced to a steel guitar which he mastered ,,,& i made waaay more money playing country than i had playing rock ,,,but have to admit i like rock better ,,,,but will always have a true love for country you have to admit ,,,hank&waylon & cash & lkets not forget willie ,,have had an inspiration in a lot of music & when i was playing country with my father & would play some skynyrd & some marshall tucker ,,the crowd really loved it ,,i guess i have to say i love all music but country will always have a place in my heart ,,from old to new ,,,its all music ,,,& i love it all!oh & by the way i just purchased a 08 es137 i havent played for a while "10yrs"& its awsome to be back in the saddle new cry baby wahhw ahh& a new ocd overdrive,,,just my 2 cents here guys thougth i'd speak up & get noticed a little bit,,thanx for listening & peace out

I like Paisley because he's a great player.

I really like the Dirks Bentley Bluegrass (Up On The Ridge) project with Sam Bush, the Punch Brothers, McCourys', ect...

Country still uses a lot of talent and good chops in a lot of the songs, while a lot of them do have cheesy lyrics Brad does it "tounge in cheek". I like lightning fast licks with enough clean tone that you can appreciate the player.

I MUCH prefer it over music with bad tone and zero (or bad) guitar work.

What they refer to as "New Country" is neither new nor country,all it is is 3 chord insipid,vacuous,uninspired, rehashed pop music with a fiddle,steel guitar and banjo too possibly-added on to it to make it appear to be country. I can imagine that real country giants like Hank Williams,Hank Snow,Marty Robbins and Ma Belle Carter would be hitting 30,000 RPM in the grave if they heard what was happening to the genre that they gave so much to.

Country music is so diverse now, I think you'd be hard pressed to say you hate ALL of it, or LIKE all of it for that matter. When Kid Rock and Bon Jovi are played on a station right behind Conway Twitty and George Strait, obviously the definition of what is considered 'country music' is painted with a pretty wide brush. And that is not even counting folks like Lucinda Williams and Robert Earl Keen, who country radio wont play at all.

I think the defination thing is the problem. 'Rock' music has several well known subcategories, like metal, grunge, punk, etc. With very few exceptions, (bluegrass, outlaw, etc) country tries to keep calling all the varied styles by the same name. It's confusing and frustrating.

I don't listen to a lot of country, but Brad Paisley is one of my favorite guitar players as well as artists... he's got a lot of great songs, he's got amazing skills at guitar, and he puts on a great live show (i saw him in july and it was easily one of the top 3 concerts i've ever been to)... i have an enormous amount of respect for him because not only is he an extremely talented musician and guitarist but he's also got a great sense of humor that shows through some of his songs, but he still has a lot of songs that really come from the heart and are quite easy to relate to, which not many artists today can pull off [thumbup]

Archived